PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about designing a wool shirt

stephenmarklay
12-29-2014, 09:53 PM
This is not for biking but a specific use and I would like to market and sell them.

I am wondering if going straight to New Zealand is the way to approach this rather than trying to source it local. It would be nice to find someone that sews custom to get something going and try some designs. Any thoughts on who may do this?

I designed a made a carry bag some years ago and did it all locally but not with wool. This is a little more involved.

FlashUNC
12-29-2014, 10:25 PM
May want to shoot an email to the Cima Coppi folks.

MattTuck
12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
rain dogs and his company cima coppi may pick this up if you pay him.

Another thing you could try would be designing it, and trying to license it to an existing wool shirt maker such as ice breakers, ibex, etc.

Wilkinson4
12-29-2014, 11:42 PM
I wonder if Lou at Foxwear would be someone to work with. He is a master sewer and knows every maiden mill product known to man:)

Good Interview
http://fat-bike.com/2012/02/interview-with-lou-binik-of-foxwear/

I have always wondered why nobody is making Alpaca based cycling and/or performance base layers. In my neck of the woods I ride by several Alpaca farms and I have felt that 'yarn' at farmers markets. So soft, not itchy, etc.

mIKE

eddief
12-30-2014, 07:52 AM
but you'd think Grant Peterson would have plenty of wool connections.

jmoore
12-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Cedars Cycling and Road Holland are both site sponsors and could do this. I'd contact them and see what they could do.

The other suggestions of Cima Coppi and Foxwear are also excellent.

gmcampy
12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
I wonder if Lou at Foxwear would be someone to work with. He is a master sewer and knows every maiden mill product known to man:)

Good Interview
http://fat-bike.com/2012/02/interview-with-lou-binik-of-foxwear/

I have always wondered why nobody is making Alpaca based cycling and/or performance base layers. In my neck of the woods I ride by several Alpaca farms and I have felt that 'yarn' at farmers markets. So soft, not itchy, etc.

mIKE

+1 Re FOXWEAR! They are the BEST

BurritoGuru
12-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Your best resource for starting a apparel business is going to your small business center. In San Francisco, we have SFMADE, PeoplewearSF, the Renaissance Center and the SBA.

Wool is expensive, especially when you add in customs/duties, shipping and minimums, color options and end use.

Anything less than 500 yards is really limiting your options. Working with a company may work, but you would have to agree on the same fabric weight, knit, color, micron, 100% or blend merino, pricepoint, etc.

Not trying to discourage anyone from manufacturing with wool, but it is difficult and expensive. US production would increase if there was more demand.

I buy ethically sourced wool only and make my garments in SF.