PDA

View Full Version : Merlin CR opinions

boconnor811
12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Looking at buying one of these used. Anyone had any experience with this frame, it seemed to be a short production run?

firerescuefin
12-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Looking at buying one of these used. Anyone had any experience with this frame, it seemed to be a short production run?

Great frame. If it fits you...buy it.

texbike
12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
I had a Merlin Agilis for a bit. If I remember correctly, it was the predecessor to the CR and essentially the same bike. It rode incredibly! The design was done by Tom Kellogg so one would expect that it would be pretty darn close to perfect. If it had been one size larger, I would have kept it.

So.. if it fits, the price is right, and you like it, go for it!

Texbike

boconnor811
12-29-2014, 06:27 PM
From the info I can find reviews seem positive. Was also wondering about tire and wider wheel clearances - archetypes for example. I think I'm sold on it either way though!

avalonracing
12-29-2014, 06:35 PM
The Merlin Works CR is best riding race bike I've ever had. I've owned a number of good steel, aluminum and titanium from top builders and the CR was more stable at speed, smoother over pavement and more comfortable than any of them. Yet at the same time I couldn't flex the BB the way I could on my other ti bikes. It is also light considering the big (for ti) tubes.

I owned the 3/2.5 ti version and I think that is preferable over the 6/4 from what I read.

I owned a size large but I did not run any tire larger that 25c on it. I don't know that it had a lot of clearance as it is designed to be a race bike.

That said, if it fits, buy it.

merlinmurph
12-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Not sure what you're looking for, but my LBS has a new 2003 Merlin Extralight 56cm just sitting there waiting for a buyer.

boconnor811
12-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Not sure what you're looking for, but my LBS has a new 2003 Merlin Extralight 56cm just sitting there waiting for a buyer.

What is the going rate for a NOS 12 year old extralight? What would one value a used 3/2.5 CR frame and EC90sl fork at?

avalonracing
12-29-2014, 08:54 PM
What is the going rate for a NOS 12 year old extralight? What would one value a used 3/2.5 CR frame and EC90sl fork at?

The older Extralight mentioned and the CR are very different bikes (however the last production Extralight is in fact a renamed CR).

I believe the CR is as good as anything that one of the coveted high-end ti builders can do at a bargain price. If it is in good shape and the fork is in good shape I would say anything under $1200 is a deal.