PDA

View Full Version : Question on tubeless maintenance

velomonkey
12-29-2014, 11:15 AM
My schwab tubeless got a slow leak so I pulled it off. Orange seal is all over the innards of the tire - mostly in the middle. Question - since I am going to patch the tire should I leave the orange seal on the rest of the tire or clean it off?

If clean it off is there a good method anyone would recommend?

I plan on re-mounting the tires later in the spring and will instead ride my winter clinchers for the next few months.

John H.
12-29-2014, 12:05 PM
You have to clean it because you need to properly prep the surface to get the patch to stick.
I think Park makes a tubeless patch kit?
Patching works well for tubeless. I have a buddy who has successfully patched two tubeless cross tires. He punctured both of them new in their lifespan- so he really didn't want to toss them (happened on two different rides). Both were patched and the work 100%.

p nut
12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
How big is the hole? Surprised you need a patch, as OS or Stans usually seals it all up pretty good.

I rarely clean out the residue, as I go through tires often, but I just try to pull off the bigger chunks, then just peel off what I can. I don't spend a lot of time on it. Adds minimal weight and not worth the time before it wears out.

Just of note, some of that may be helping hold in air in some tires (i.e. Racing Ralph where they seem to use tissue paper for sidewalls).

93legendti
12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Is the leak from a hole? Or is the a leak either from the rim and/or the valve?

Mikej
12-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Is there any liquid left in the tire? I thought it would seal. If its a big enough hole that the sealant will not seal, sometimes a patch is just a walk in the woods waiting to happen...but could last forever. Turn the tire inside out and brush it clean.

Keith A
12-29-2014, 03:42 PM
I've used the Hutchinson tubeless repair kit with very good success...
http://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-RepAir-Road-Tubeless-Tire/dp/B000OF7XP6

dekindy
12-29-2014, 04:08 PM
I've used the Hutchinson tubeless repair kit with very good success...
http://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-RepAir-Road-Tubeless-Tire/dp/B000OF7XP6

It bears emphasizing that you can use any patch, but it is essential to use the Hutchinson glue.

velomonkey
12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Yea, it was a hole right in the middle, not really big, and it sealed while on a ride - actually first mile. I went home and put more orange seal in. Occasionally when I pumped up the tires I could hear the leak - very faint. If I moved the tire around more air would come out. Like I said, pumped up the tires and the next day came down and it had lost about 50 PSI. Figured good time to change anyway.

Any advice on getting the old stuff off?