PDA

View Full Version : Danger Bridge

pinkshogun
12-28-2014, 04:39 PM
first we get a flat then my bike tips over from the wind and scratches my faux leather bar tape

SlowPokePete
12-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Well the sign said so ...

SPP

Cat3roadracer
12-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your bar tape, but it is the 28th of December and you are out for a ride. Not all that bad.

Dead Man
12-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Someone at the sign factory got confused.... "Danger: Bridge"

makoti
12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Well the sign said so ...

SPP

I have to agree. You WERE warned. ;-)

Satellite
12-28-2014, 05:21 PM
pinkshotgun,

That's the point of "faux leather bar tape" other tape might have ripped instead of just scratched. I know it just adds insult to injury, a perfect storm.

Give it a good treatment of your favorite chemical compound you will forget it ever happened. Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP always brings my HandleBra back to looking like new.

Best regards,

Satellite

chengher87
12-28-2014, 05:40 PM
first we get a flat then my bike tips over from the wind and scratches my faux leather bar tape

Guess it isn't a great week for cycling in Rhode Island. I was on the Washington Secondary bike path on Monday with a friend and it was smooth sailing when we got to the end of the path (or what they were able to finish) and then it started raining heavily on the ride back and so we gunned it. Stopped under a canopy to sit and eat some bars and wait for the rain to subside a bit. As soon as I rolled off the ramp, I knew I had a flat tire. Went to look in my seatbag and realized that I did not pack my tire levers. Tried to go to the bike shop around the area only to find out it was closed. Waited for a bit until a nice gentleman stopped with a tire lever and I was able to change the tube out.

By then it had been the better part of 45 minutes and by that time, the rain had soaked through and we were now feeling the cold. It also didn't help that we had to cycle in near complete darkness for an hour the rest of the way with no light (we didn't anticipate staying until the sun was gone). The West Warwick part of the path was sketchy in the dark since they haven't repaired that in a while.

I've also been sick since and probably because of that that bike ride. Worth it though.

gemship
12-28-2014, 06:36 PM
This reminds me of the time I leaned my bike against a railing on a windy day a while ago and of course the wind blew it over. The only damage that really bothered me was this scratch in the anodizing of my 105 rear skewer. It was a nothing little scratch but it made me feel like an idiot for not listening to my inner voice and just laying the bike down on the grass while I was enjoying a snack. So... when I got home I promptly wet sanded the face of that little surface scratch, broke out the mother's polish and shined it up to a mirror finish. I am sure being what this forum is all about you readers can relate:p

Satellite
12-28-2014, 07:02 PM
This reminds me of the time I leaned my bike against a railing on a windy day a while ago and of course the wind blew it over. The only damage that really bothered me was this scratch in the anodizing of my 105 rear skewer. It was a nothing little scratch but it made me feel like an idiot for not listening to my inner voice and just laying the bike down on the grass while I was enjoying a snack. So... when I got home I promptly wet sanded the face of that little surface scratch, broke out the mother's polish and shined it up to a mirror finish. I am sure being what this forum is all about you readers can relate:p
Gemship,

Yep, I know exactly. I attended the Silver Anniversary at the Moots Mothership/Factory. I leaned my almost new VaMoots SL against the corner of there brick building. Yep you guessed it the wind blew and knocked the (top of) Top Tube right in to the building. It left a group of stuttering large scratches in an area about 6" long while it skipped off the rough brick surface. What really sucks is the top tube is the most visible tube to the rider. It always pisses me off when I look at it, but it is some what comforting knowing it happened at the same place she was born. :bike:

I often think about getting it refinished, last I seen Moots is doing refurbs for $410 and it just NOT worth it to me to strip the frame down (everything is tuned just perfect) only to pay $410 to get rid of a few scratches. That's what sucks about the Satin bead blasting, looks great but scotch brite pads don't work for the DIY'ers. Spectrum Powder Works also bead blasts so when it's time I will see what they would charge, plus they are local, although it is always nice to stop by Moots. :hello:

Satellite

jamesau
12-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Sorry about the ding. Better the tape than the paint! I like to imagine the ride was well worth it anyway.
About the repair-in-progress that's pictured: I prefer to gently rest the bike on its nondrive side in a soft grassy area when doing roadside flat repair (remove/install wheel while bike upright). The upside down bike pictured could be prone to rash on the brifters or saddle.

pinkshogun
12-29-2014, 05:04 PM
i agree on resting the bike on something softer. the guy fixing his daughter's brand new bike is experienced so i didnt butt in

and yes, i would trade scuffed bar tape for a great ride late in the year anytime