PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ridden on 2015 Chorus or Record?

buckfifty
12-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi, was wondering if anyone has these groups and can comment on them? How is the front shifting compared to the 6800 or 9000? Thanks

AngryScientist
12-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Hey there. see my discussion here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157784&highlight=2015

speaking to front shifting, i believe it is right at the same level as DA9000. the new FD seems to help a bit, and the chainrings shift really smoothly.

CNY rider
12-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey there. see my discussion here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157784&highlight=2015

speaking to front shifting, i believe it is right at the same level as DA9000. the new FD seems to help a bit, and the chainrings shift really smoothly.

Excellent! Just received mine but can't decide which bike is going to be the lucky winner.......

oldpotatoe
12-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi, was wondering if anyone has these groups and can comment on them? How is the front shifting compared to the 6800 or 9000? Thanks

Chorus/Record/SuperRecord more better, of course.

buckfifty
12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Is there a difference between chorus and record besides materials, weight, logos? Is it worth it to go record over chorus? Thanks!

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Is there a difference between chorus and record besides materials, weight, logos? Is it worth it to go record over chorus? Thanks!

There is zero functional difference or difference in durability. It is weight and bling.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2014, 06:37 PM

No and no, IMHO

tristan
12-28-2014, 07:39 PM
There is zero functional difference or difference in durability. It is weight and bling.

That's not quite true with 2015.

The Chorus brakes aren't as nice as the Record / SR version. Record and SR have the option of a single-pivot rear brake (a bit more modulation - my personal preference) and both use ball bearings in the main pivot which seems to stay smoother for longer. Chorus is a dual-pivot rear brake with bushings.

2015 Chorus has a horrible barrel adjuster on the brakes. Both the barrel adjuster and it's locknut are threaded and it's nearly impossible to make adjustments as you ride. Record and SR use the older style system where you can adjust the brake by turning just the locknut. This might not be an issue for some people but if you like to fiddle or if you plan on getting neutral-support wheels then it could be an issue.

Tyre clearance with the 2015 brake is much better - on one fork with a 2014 brake a 25mm tyre rubbed the brake while climbing but the 2015 calliper clears 28s on the same rim.

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 07:45 PM

The Chorus brakes aren't as nice as the Record / SR version. Record and SR have the option of a single-pivot rear brake (a bit more modulation - my personal preference) and both use ball bearings in the main pivot which seems to stay smoother for longer. Chorus is a dual-pivot rear brake with bushings.

2015 Chorus has a horrible barrel adjuster on the brakes. Both the barrel adjuster and it's locknut are threaded and it's nearly impossible to make adjustments as you ride. Record and SR use the older style system where you can adjust the brake by turning just the locknut. This might not be an issue for some people but if you like to fiddle or if you plan on getting neutral-support wheels then it could be an issue.

Tyre clearance with the 2015 brake is much better - on one fork with a 2014 brake a 25mm tyre rubbed the brake while climbing but the 2015 calliper clears 28s on the same rim.

I was thinking more along the lines of shifting performance. Bushing vs bearings in the brakes does not really have an appreciable effect on braking itself but one may wear better than the other. It is nice that they have addressed tire clearance at last.

Single pivot rear is available at the chorus level. http://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/2639_z_freni-chorus-slide2.jpg

R3awak3n
12-28-2014, 07:54 PM

pretty sure chorus also has an option of dual front/single back pivot or dual/dual pivot.

tristan
12-28-2014, 08:00 PM
pretty sure chorus also has an option of dual front/single back pivot or dual/dual pivot.

Both the printed catalogue and the website indicate that Chorus is dual pivot rear only for 2015.

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Are the new hoods compatible with the older 11speed ergos?

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Both the printed catalogue and the website indicate that Chorus is dual pivot rear only for 2015.

I pulled that pic from the campy web site.

And they say this:

The compounds used yield superior braking performance and the lightened pad holders make pad replacement fast and easy. But that's not all. CampagnoloŽ offers two options: alongside the classic front/rear brake differentiation for maximum lightness and braking modulation, there is also a dual pivot option available for the rear brake, for even more decisive and powerful braking. The choice is yours!

tristan
12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Are the new hoods compatible with the older 11speed ergos?

No. The 2015 shifters have a slight bump on the outside of the body.

zmudshark
12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know if all the Chorus parts are now made in Romania? What about Record?

R3awak3n
12-28-2014, 08:07 PM

I went by what I read on the campy website

http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Components/chorus_brakes

tristan
12-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I pulled that pic from the campy web site.

And they say this:

The compounds used yield superior braking performance and the lightened pad holders make pad replacement fast and easy. But that's not all. CampagnoloŽ offers two options: alongside the classic front/rear brake differentiation for maximum lightness and braking modulation, there is also a dual pivot option available for the rear brake, for even more decisive and powerful braking. The choice is yours!

Of course I could be wrong but as of now there is no way I'm aware of (including OEM) to buy a single-pivot rear Chorus brake. Maybe that text is copy/paste from Record or last years brake (that one paragraph doesn't match further down the page where it's pretty clear it's a dual-pivot rear only), maybe the mono rear was dropped to save production costs, or maybe they plan on introducing one. Hopefully the latter because I really prefer the single pivot rear brake.

thirdgenbird
12-28-2014, 08:17 PM
I think it just hasn't been updated. Some of the other parts took a while too.

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Of course I could be wrong but as of now there is no way I'm aware of (including OEM) to buy a single-pivot rear Chorus brake. Maybe that text is copy/paste from Record or last years brake (that one paragraph doesn't match further down the page where it's pretty clear it's a dual-pivot rear only), maybe the mono rear was dropped to save production costs, or maybe they plan on introducing one. Hopefully the latter because I really prefer the single pivot rear brake.

I hear you. What they say on the web site and what makes it out into the wild is not always the same. I prefer the single pivot rear as well. It is perfect for small reductions of speed.

Peter B
12-28-2014, 11:46 PM
My 2015 Record group was made in Italy. Chorus cassette was too.

Johny
12-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Campagnolo carbon cranks are made in Romania, including Super Record ones.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_atrK-jBKJKY/TSSDK9NxYoI/AAAAAAAAOZg/f-zaVqY658A/s1600/IMG_4395.JPG

oldpotatoe
12-29-2014, 05:35 AM

BUT in spite of what you mention about the brakes, they stop just as well as Record/SR..A bushing vs teeny ball bearings in a brake caliper really means not much.

Peter B
12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Campagnolo carbon cranks are made in Romania, including Super Record ones.

<photo snipped>

Umm...

oldpotatoe
12-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Umm...

Maybe made both places like shimano is Singapore and also Malaysia and China.

If like previous models, Chorus is foam filled arms, SR/Record are hollow. Same rings all across the board, but different bearings for each(Cult/USB/Steel). Maybe Chorus is Romania, others Italy.

FlashUNC
12-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Maybe made both places like shimano is Singapore and also Malaysia and China.

If like previous models, Chorus is foam filled arms, SR/Record are hollow. Same rings all across the board, but different bearings for each(Cult/USB/Steel). Maybe Chorus is Romania, others Italy.

This is my experience. Some Chorus bits in Romania (had some Chorus bits from Italy as well) with Record and SR from Italy.

Doesn't really matter all that much. As Campy points out, the Romania plant is just a short trip from Vicenza, and gives them better QC than an Asian facility. That's what they launched the Fulcrum brand for anyways...

tristan
12-29-2014, 11:36 AM
BUT in spite of what you mention about the brakes, they stop just as well as Record/SR..A bushing vs teeny ball bearings in a brake caliper really means not much.

When they're new I agree there isn't much difference but a few years of riding later and the higher-end bearing brakes seem to stay smoother (based off the 10 speed and early 11 speed brakes - obviously there isn't any data on how well the 2015 brakes will fare)

Ralph
12-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I've had older Campy brakes with bearings, and some with bushings. (have one of each on current bikes) I tend to keep my brakes clean and slightly lubed....with various spray lubes that don't attract dirt. And I can tell no difference between bushings and bearings. Frankly....I prefer bushings, brakes don't need bearings IMHO.

hainy
12-29-2014, 05:05 PM
After my Centaur down shifter button finally wore our after 7 years of loyal service I thought it was a good time to move up to 2015 Chorus. I kept the same cranks and brakes but had some 11 speed rings so used them. I have been on it for 2 weeks now and there is a noticable difference in the feel of the hoods and shifting feels a lot more clunky in a more polished way.

I will run my other bike through winter (Australia) with 10 speed and probably convert it to be compatible.

As there is no new technology going into 10 speed I could see the point of continuing with it. The extra gear makes no difference other then a smaller increment change on my 12-27.

Cheers

Hainy

r_mutt
12-29-2014, 05:27 PM

I had this issue on the front on one of my bikes. the front tire, a Vittoria 25 Open Corsa Evo CX just barely rubbed the top pf the brake so I had to run 25 on the rear and 23 on the front. Are you certain that they changed the brake arms?

beeatnik
12-29-2014, 06:01 PM
r_mutt, they offer tons more clearance. although they don't look as sleek (paint finish, clunkier arms) as the previous generation.

w/ 25s
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8659/15821552507_ef0b02dd60_b.jpghttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8619/15820046790_69e49d136b_b.jpg

anyway, the above are Chorus 2015. SR and Record are unchanged.

r_mutt
12-29-2014, 06:17 PM
r_mutt, they offer tons more clearance. although they don't look as sleek (paint finish, clunkier arms) as the previous generation.

anyway, the above are Chorus 2015. SR and Record are unchanged.

that's interesting. are you saying that Record and SR are the same as last years brakes?

i am pretty sure I have 2013 Record brakes. fingers crossed that Record 2015 has the clearance that you claim that Chorus 2015 has.

the issue i am having is with the new-style wide rims (enve in my case)- they force you to spread the calipers out to clear the wider rims, and consequently make the tire clearance effectively shorter as the front arm of the front brake moves closer to the tire.

beeatnik
12-29-2014, 06:41 PM
2015 SR and Record are the same calipers as 2013 (or "2011"). At some point this year (possibly last year), the brake shoes and pads were redesigned. New compound and different clip. The suckers pop right out.

2015 Chorus are a new caliper design which is also found on the non series "Campagnolo Brakes." The non series brakes have replaced Athena calipers.

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Components/campagnolo_brakes

As far as I can tell, 2015 Chorus brakes are only available in dual pivot. Also, the Chorus groupset page shows the 2011-2014 brakes and not the 2015.

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Mechanical_Groupsets/chorus/road

thirdgenbird
12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
that's interesting. are you saying that Record and SR are the same as last years brakes?

i am pretty sure I have 2013 Record brakes. fingers crossed that Record 2015 has the clearance that you claim that Chorus 2015 has.

the issue i am having is with the new-style wide rims (enve in my case)- they force you to spread the calipers out to clear the wider rims, and consequently make the tire clearance effectively shorter as the front arm of the front brake moves closer to the tire.

From what I have gathered, the Campagnolo website had not been updated for brake calipers.

-record and super record keep the same brakes as years prior
-chorus gets new brakes that are dual pivot and offer more clearance
-veloce and athena share "Campagnolo" branded caliper that use the same arms as chorus but cheaper hardware and Shimano style pads.

I realize this isn't what the website shows, but it is what retailers show. I heard one rumor that campagnolo was going to continue to provide the 2014 Veloce-Chorus calipers till supplies dried up and then move to the newer ones. If true, I bet we see the website change soon.

r_mutt
12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
i find it odd that the "newer" style brake calipers with increased clearance would be released on the lower tier groups before Record and Super Record. perhaps Campagnolo has a stockpile of Record and Super Record brakes that it wants to sell before releasing the newer model.

thanks for the explanation gents.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2014, 07:12 PM
The new calipers have more clearance but were obviously designed as a cost cutting measure. The MSRP of chorus brakes appears to have dropped dramatically. It wouldn't shock me if they were not quite as stiff as years past. It is sort of like pt replacing ut on the bottom end groups.

It probably makes sense though. record and super record are advertized as race groups where 23-25mm tires are the norm. Bikes with wider tires, gravel/touring/commuting, are often built with more budget minded groups. I realize there are exceptions (like this site) but I bet the current lineup works for most.

If athena and veloce really are going to share the non series caliper seen on several retailers sites, it would be cool to see a mid reach version. I'm sure the market is pretty small though.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2014, 07:23 PM
If top end campy brakes with clearance are a consern, find yourself the pre skeleton record titanium brakes. These have all the Ti and alloy bling as the current super record brakes but offer plenty of clearance to swallow a 30mm cross tire. You can get them in silver or black with a single pivot rear or in silver with a dual pivot rear. Two of my bikes have them. The other has deltas. These just clear a 23 :)