PDA

View Full Version : Did I make my Shimano WH 7801 wheels obsolete?

CNY rider
12-28-2014, 08:20 AM
So here's my dilemma.
My Legend has very well used Shimano 10 speed on it. I have the WH 7801 wheels, which I like a lot. They are Shimano 10 speed only. Still have lots of life left in them.

I bought a Chorus 11 group from Ribble and plan to put it on my Legend.

My other bikes, except for 1, are now Campy 10 or 11. Only my gravel bike still has Shimano 10.

Is there any way to change the free hub body on these, to get a Campy 11 speed cassette on there? Or are they relegated to obsolescence once I stop riding the final 10s Shimano group?

kramnnim
12-28-2014, 08:27 AM
If you are not picky about shift quality, you can use Campy 11 with a Shimano 10 cassette, the spacing is similar. If you had a lathe you might be able to doctor the freehub body into accepting a Shimano 11 cassette...

FastforaSlowGuy
12-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Take a cog off a Shimano 11s cassette and keep running those wheels. Shifting will be much better than trying to make an actual 10s cassette work with 11s systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNY rider
12-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Take a cog off a Shimano 11s cassette and keep running those wheels. Shifting will be much better than trying to make an actual 10s cassette work with 11s systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming I should pick the smallest one? As in taking the 12 off a 12-27?
Any spacers needed?

Thanks.

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 09:11 AM
You can take off any cog as long as it is not attached to a carrier. You best bet is the smallest cog since removing a middle cog will produce an awkward jump between cogs. You will have to try it to see if you need a spacer. Place the spacer between the free hub and the largest cog to move the freewheel towards the lockring. If you need a spacer make sure you use as small a spacer as is possible so that the locking threads fully into the free hub body.

Look585
12-28-2014, 09:20 AM
The 'remove a cog' approach will not work with those wheels. The 7801s have the tall spline 10s only freehub body. 11s cassettes have reverted back to the low spline pattern and will not fit on that hub.

Sent from mobile device

Black Dog
12-28-2014, 09:41 AM
The 'remove a cog' approach will not work with those wheels. The 7801s have the tall spline 10s only freehub body. 11s cassettes have reverted back to the low spline pattern and will not fit on that hub.

Sent from mobile device

Ohh. Good point. Shimano tried for a short time to address the inherent design issue with their spline depth on those wheels. Alloy freehubs get notch badly and shimano wanted to use an alloy free hub so they made the splines deeper (like campy) to mitigate this issue but made a nice compatibility mess.

thirdgenbird
12-28-2014, 10:07 AM
The deep spline does cause extra issue. I would try parting with them so it's not an ongoing issue. Someone faithful to shimano 10 may be in the market. They would pair nicely with 7970. Both are stuck at 10.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2014, 10:39 AM
So here's my dilemma.
My Legend has very well used Shimano 10 speed on it. I have the WH 7801 wheels, which I like a lot. They are Shimano 10 speed only. Still have lots of life left in them.

I bought a Chorus 11 group from Ribble and plan to put it on my Legend.

My other bikes, except for 1, are now Campy 10 or 11. Only my gravel bike still has Shimano 10.

Is there any way to change the free hub body on these, to get a Campy 11 speed cassette on there? Or are they relegated to obsolescence once I stop riding the final 10s Shimano group?

Wheels manufacturing accelerator 11s cogset. I think it'll work on the deep spline 7801 FH body.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/rear-drivetrain/cassette-conversions.html

Says Campag compatible but also shimano 11s.

Cannot convert that wheel to 11s via a FH body-

aaronka
12-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Sounds like you'll have to move to an 11 freehub set of wheels...will note that the current shimano hubs are really good. I think shimanos hub offerings are among the best in the business. Especially the dura ace level.

CNY rider
12-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice.
My dirt/cross bike is the lone Shimano 10s holdout.

Anyone using these as their gravel grinder wheels?

thirdgenbird
12-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.
My dirt/cross bike is the lone Shimano 10s holdout.

Anyone using these as their gravel grinder wheels?

If they are as good as the comparable Campagnolo wheel (and I hear they are) they should do great on a gravel bike.