PDA

View Full Version : Want to try leg warmers

FastforaSlowGuy
12-28-2014, 08:17 AM
I'm generally a knickers/tights guy in winter. But when I travel, they get bulky to pack. And at home it would be nice to have backup options for those days I forget to do laundry. I've got some Castelli knee warmers and was thinking of getting some leg warmers. The nanoflex stuff is nice and repels light rain but shorts slide up against the material. Other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
12-28-2014, 08:23 AM
PI ones with the very light fleecy inside. warmish and they stay up.

kramnnim
12-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Assuming your knee warmers have silicone grippers on the outside of the top hem...maybe you need shorts with tighter/grippier legs?

FastforaSlowGuy
12-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Assuming your knee warmers have silicone grippers on the outside of the top hem...maybe you need shorts with tighter/grippier legs?

Gripper gripper everywhere, but that nanoflex coating is SLICK. I guess as long as the warmers stay up, that's the key thing.

rando
12-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Embro, lots.
Espresso, lots.

carpediemracing
12-28-2014, 08:47 AM
My biggest issue with leg/knee warmers is that the shorts part isn't thick if you have normal summer shorts. Therefore my knees are relatively warm but up higher I'm frozen. I feel almost naked based on the relative cold/warm zones.

If you have thermal/roubaix type shorts then go for it.

I, too, am a knickers/tights kind of rider. I recently got some thermal shorts (as part of a cross skinsuit for cold weather crits) and I was amazed at how warm I felt even with my knees exposed. This is based on riding for the last three days in cool/chilly conditions, 50-54 deg F at best with temperatures dropping as I rode, felt colder in the sun protected areas. Knickers on first day, thermal shorts on second and third day.

Ultimately, since I don't already have enough kit (ha!) I want to get thermal bib shorts, maybe generically branded so they go with whatever. I did my own "team order" through Verge to buy myself my knickers (I still have a few sealed, I have 3 in use). I figure at some point I'll do the same to get shorts. I just told them "put the Verge logo on the side like in your images on the website".

makoti
12-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I use PI arm/leg/knee warmers. Love them. I've used tights to pull over my shorts, and those drive me crazy. Always slipping down in the back on the shorts. I'm waiting for delivery on a set of bib tights. Hopefully that will help.
The key to happiness with leg warmers is a good pair of shorts. Nice snug leg grippers are important. Zippers on the bottoms to ease getting them off is nice.

Davist
12-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought some cheap ones (Canari from STP, about $12) just to try them out, and they work well, kinda impressed actually. I, too am a tights guy, but found them surprisingly warm. I don't have the "cold boy parts" issue as described above, I have a pair of heavy (not thermal) bibs from Pactimo that kept me warm in high 30s/mid 40s well.

c77barlage
12-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I have gotten years of service out of a pair of Gore leg warmers and have been happy with them.

kramnnim
12-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Gripper gripper everywhere, but that nanoflex coating is SLICK. I guess as long as the warmers stay up, that's the key thing.

I haven't tried my Nanoflex warmers yet, had hoped the outer gripper would keep the shorts from riding up. My Capo warmers do not have the gripper and the shorts ride up and get very uncomfortable, I end up rolling down the top hem so the gripper is on the outside.

Miles
12-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I have some castelli thermoflex leg warmers that I am happy with. The nano flex is nice if its wet but i think the thermoflex is warmer. That paired with a roubaix fleece type short would be a good combo. I have found the giordana silver line roubaix shorts to be a great value if you're in need of thermal bibs.

Bob Ross
12-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I have gotten years of service out of a pair of Gore leg warmers and have been happy with them.

^^^This. My Gore are the oldest leg warmers I own, yet they are still the ones I reach for first.

Although I did just pick up a pair of Specialized that look promising...

FastforaSlowGuy
12-28-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm intrigued by the thermal shorts thing. A pair of those with some knee and leg warmers would be pretty versatile setup I think.

Deucer01
12-28-2014, 05:13 PM
I like my Performance arm and leg warmers when it gets in the low 50s here in South Florida. :eek:

c77barlage
12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
^^^This. My Gore are the oldest leg warmers I own, yet they are still the ones I reach for first.

Although did just pick up a pair of Specialized that look promising...

I had the Gores on today while mountain biking. I paired them with wool xc ski socks and my summertime baggy shorts. The temp was in the high teens and I kept warm.

teleguy57
12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm intrigued by the thermal shorts thing. A pair of those with some knee and leg warmers would be pretty versatile setup I think.

I toy with that idea, but I'm still more in the bib knicks world for our conditions in WI. Even in transition season I'm more often wearing bib knicks for the duration of a ride rather than going with shorts/ knee warmers and removing the warmers as temps rise. I don't find myself often starting with covered knees and having temps rise enough to uncover them.

For the early/late season I do like the warmer weight shorts when I do decide to uncover my knees. At 60 with no cartilage in my left knee I do have to pay attention to my knees vs going uncovered in questionable conditions.

bewheels
12-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Another vote for Castelli nanoflex legwarmers.
Warm liner with the nanoflex outside.

Two things to consider:
1. As mentioned, leg warmer will make you realize that your shorts may not be all that warm by themselves. I go for the full tights when the temps are mid 30s or below.
2. Castelli like to make things small/tight. I am 6'2" 165lbs. I wear XL and they are plenty tight, especially on the thigh area. They give you that nice sausage look. But they don't fall down...

cnighbor1
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm generally a knickers/tights guy in winter. But when I travel, they get bulky to pack. And at home it would be nice to have backup options for those days I forget to do laundry. I've got some Castelli knee warmers and was thinking of getting some leg warmers. The nanoflex stuff is nice and repels light rain but shorts slide up against the material. Other suggestions?
I prefer thin wool socks that come up to just below my knees
Than when it warms up I just push them down to my angles

velomonkey
12-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I like to buy stuff - too much, probably. I also don't like to waste money and I like to keep my stuff simple.

I never really got the thermal shorts. Here is my setup for the cool and cold new england seasons (which as anyone from here knows, ranges to everything).

50s - regular bibs (I have assos and a few castelli) and knee warmers. I have merino rapha knee warmers and old pearl ones - really either works, but I prefer the merino. This setup works in all levels of 50 degress. Oh, I also use cloth/cotton booties.

40s - regular bibs (same as above) with cheap specialized tights. Yea, yea . . tights. This setup works from around 47 degrees to 35 degrees. Since I have bibs with their shammy under I can ride the next day with another set of bibs and still use my tights without washing them. I've had the same set of tights for almost ten years and it works fine.

35 or under - ASSOS 851 winter bib.

I don't jave to regulate my bibs, I can pack light and it works and is less expensive.

Grinta13
12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
I have some Castelli nanoflex knee warmers and some PI knee/arm warmers. I've been pretty happy with both of the knee warmers. I do get a little "ride up" with both sometimes, but it's never so much that it's particularly bothersome. I just pull 'em back down as necessary.
As for leg warmers, I don't have any. I have been using the Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal Wool sock.
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=363&product_id=1884135&outlet=&color_code=021

I like them because they are warm without being overly bulky and they have a high enough cuff to reach the bottom of my knee warmers (granted, at 5'9" I'm no giant).

Dr Luxurious
12-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I hate tights and do not understand knickers.
I use full leg warmers if it's below about 70F unless I'm racing. This means I use them on almost every ride since mornings here are cool but the temp can go up 30 degrees between 8am and noon.

For spring/summer Voler warmers are made well and are affordable.

For rides below 50F I just ordered some Giordana Roubaix Winter Bibs and warmers from here.

http://www.classiccycling.com/winter-shorts-c-515_491.html

We'll see how they perform...

pitonpat
12-30-2014, 09:55 PM

abalone
12-31-2014, 12:53 AM

Her feet are warm, but she has to be cold up to her hips.

Dr Luxurious
12-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Her feet are warm, but she has to be cold up to her hips.

it was the 80's. she's too coked up to notice

Birddog
01-01-2015, 07:34 AM
I had a pair of DeFeet Kneekers for about ten years before they warranted replacement because they got a little thin and saggy. I'm now starting ten years on my second pair. They have a high wool content and wide comfort zone temp wise.

Wilkinson4
01-01-2015, 07:45 AM
I have 2 pairs of wool Sergels and a pair of wool Kucharik that i still use. They must be going +20 yrs old:) The upper grippers are not great but they so the trick.

mIKE