PDA

View Full Version : How to measure required steerer tube on an integrated HS full sus frame?

d_douglas
12-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I am wondering if my old suspension fork will work on a new-to-me frame. I am on the lookout for a large Salsa Spearfish frame and wonder how you measure total stack when using an integrated headset?

It says the HT is 120mm, a typical stem is 42mm. How much stack does a Cane Creek HS add? Is a steerer of 195mm long enough?

Like I said, I haven't found a frame yet, so just costing out what this will be if I can reuse my trusty old fork.

Thanks for any advice!

Peter P.
12-27-2014, 07:12 PM
A Cane Creek EXTERNAL cup headset (i.e., 10-Series) has 16mm top cup stack height, 12mm lower cup stack height.

How long should your steerer be? Add the head tube length, height of both headset cups, stem clamp height, and any spacers. Done.

From the numbers you provide, a 120mm head tube + 42mm stem height = 162mm. Add 28mm for a 10-Series Cane Creek headset and you have 188mm steerer requirement, minimum. Only thing missing would be any spacers. Your 195mm steerer should be long enough.

You even have some leeway if the brand headset you use has taller than Cane Creek cup heights, and the 5mm gap that the steerer should be below the top cap.

d_douglas
12-27-2014, 08:18 PM
So the scenario you've goven is the worst case, right? You note an external headset, but these Salsa frames have internal ones so the stack would be considerably less.

I just wanted to make sure it was as logical as it seemed. I have a neg rise stem, so I can flip the stem to gain any lost stack height of I cannot use any spacers. Just want make sure the steerer itself is long enough.

If it doesn't work, I will sell this fork (reputedly desirable because it has a straight steerer) and buy a lesser, but functional tapered fork...