PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel cages marking up bottles??

weehastogopee
12-27-2014, 12:01 AM
I have some stainless bottle cages from pricepoint.com...and from my understanding stainless steel usually doesn't mark up bottles, but for some reason, they always significantly mark up my bottles.

Is there a way to somehow remedy this??

These are the cages btw:

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Neo/Neo-Eon-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-Cage.axd

and a shot of the marks made by the cages

http://i.imgur.com/8iIzLCPl.jpg

Steelman
12-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Is there a way to somehow remedy this??

Wipe the cages before each ride.

You might have better luck with the Elite Ciussi Inox, but even they are not perfect when it comes to marking bottles.

You can try a tooth brush and baking soda to clean marked bottles.

kenw
12-27-2014, 12:32 AM
Iʻve been using Performance stainless cages for several years. They leave
slight marks on my bottles, but not nearly to the extent that your cages
have marked your bottles.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Some marks on a water bottle..err, don't see why it's a problem that needs to be solved. Most water bottles are kinda throw away-no?

IMHO and all that.

Cicli
12-27-2014, 05:48 AM
I agree with oldpotatoe, does it really matter? It's a plastic bottle.

I run King cages and have this issue too. Mine is mostly sand and road grime grinding the bottles. Look at it like extra grip.

Red Tornado
12-27-2014, 09:13 AM
That's my take on it as well. Dirt/sand/grime ground into the plastic at the contact points w/the cage. I use Specialized plastic cages; the side-loading ones, and really don't have issues with marked-up bottles. My personal experience with cages is that any metal (steel/alum/stainless) will result in those marks to some degree. The plastic or carbon cages ALMOST eliminate it.
I know lots of people look at them as throw away (and they probably are in a way) but I like to hang on to the nicer ones. So, I'm a little picky about my bottles getting messed up. Glad it's not just me.

dave thompson
12-27-2014, 09:15 AM
If your bottles aren't held tightly by the cages, the natural vibrations will cause rubbing, the dirt/mung gets in the surface and creates the discoloring. See if there's a way to snug up your bottles.

berserk87
12-27-2014, 11:01 AM
I mean this in the most polite way - but I am surprised a bit that water bottle appearance is a concern for folks.

I try and get the most life out of bottles that I can, but they are merely a tool for getting hydration into me. I have some preferences about bottles, but with use, they get skanked up over time. Labels rub off and they get marks on them.

Dead Man
12-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Yup... I'd call that normal, and expected. All my bidons look a hell of a lot worse than that.

Re-reading the OP - I would say no... you can't expect stainless to keep your bidons looking clean, because it's road grime and tire dust and sweat and crap that's marking them up- the cages are only a vector.

rwsaunders
12-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Buy some King cages and you shouldn't have an issue. Stainless steel comes in many grades and the cages that you have might either be a lower grade of stainless, or perhaps even aluminum.

Seramount
12-27-2014, 12:40 PM
I get a certain satisfaction out of having a clean bike, so yeah cage marks are slightly annoying...

a light buffing with a well-used green scotchbrite pad will take most of them off...they tend to come right back in a few rides, but it only takes about 20 seconds of effort to clean them, so no big deal.

the real suck is trying to keep WHITE pedals clean. they tend to turn a nice shade of gray otherwise. it's a royal pita, especially since you can't even see them when I'm riding...

but, I do it anyway.

OCD, it's a curse.

Satellite
12-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Here is the only way to stop it:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/king-cage-titanium-water-bottle-cage

Ti never had a problem with marring and I have never thrown a water bottle even on my Mountain Bikes.

Satellite

R3awak3n
12-27-2014, 01:02 PM
another vote for king cage but I really don't care if my bottles get marked up.

PaMtbRider
12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Even the King cages in Ti can leave marks. Depends a lot on the conditions you ride in. A wet ride on gravel roads can really mess up a bottle. I think like someone mentioned already that the road grit gets between the bottle and cage and makes a mess. No big deal to me. Bottles are cheap if not free most of the time.

weehastogopee
12-27-2014, 07:40 PM
thanks for the tips! I'll try some of the suggestions...including getting random bottles I don't care too much about hahaha some bottles I just like more and want to keep for a long time....

Satellite
12-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Even the King cages in Ti can leave marks. Depends a lot on the conditions you ride in. A wet ride on gravel roads can really mess up a bottle. I think like someone mentioned already that the road grit gets between the bottle and cage and makes a mess. No big deal to me. Bottles are cheap if not free most of the time.

I have never had one of my Ti cages leave marring (the black oxidizing kind as pictured in the OP), I suppose dirt could leave a rub mark, I do keep my bikes really clean. My buddy said, "I've never seen someone spend more time cleaning their bike than they do riding it". I loaned one of my mountain bikes to his buddy that was from out of the country, they went to Moab. His buddy said, "He never rode a bike that was better tuned, never missed a shift and the brakes were spot on". So I guess cleaning goes a long way.

Bottles are cheap, I always get them for free. Went into ProCycle with a Colorado Cyclist water bottle on my bike. The guy in the shop commented, "Awesome, bike except for the water bottles", I told him, "They were free, if you give me water bottles I would ride with them instead". I went home with ProCycle water bottles.

Rode to a shop in California, I asked the shop owner, "Would you like Free Advertising". He said, "What do I have to do". I said, "Give me two water bottles". Rode back to the hotel with Pedal Power water bottles.

Satellite

weehastogopee
12-28-2014, 01:28 AM
Rode to a shop in California, I asked the shop owner, "Would you like Free Advertising". He said, "What do I have to do". I said, "Give me two water bottles". Rode back to the hotel with Pedal Power water bottles.

Satellite

i gotta try that!! :hello:

oldpotatoe
12-28-2014, 05:43 AM
I have never had one of my Ti cages leave marring (the black oxidizing kind as pictured in the OP), I suppose dirt could leave a rub mark, I do keep my bikes really clean. My buddy said, "I've never seen someone spend more time cleaning their bike than they do riding it". I loaned one of my mountain bikes to his buddy that was from out of the country, they went to Moab. His buddy said, "He never rode a bike that was better tuned, never missed a shift and the brakes were spot on". So I guess cleaning goes a long way.

Bottles are cheap, I always get them for free. Went into ProCycle with a Colorado Cyclist water bottle on my bike. The guy in the shop commented, "Awesome, bike except for the water bottles", I told him, "They were free, if you give me water bottles I would ride with them instead". I went home with ProCycle water bottles.

Satellite

Used to do that all the time in the shop..somebody comes in with a 'competitor's' water bottle, I'd throw them away, really, grab them and throw them in the trash, fill up 2 of mine and give them to them. Always with water, never with some sort of 'food', cuz some get snippy about the stuff they drink onna ride.

BUT cheap advertising. As a bike shop owner, you know you have 'arrived' when you find your bottles on the side of the road.

Satellite
12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
i gotta try that!! :hello:

See I am still advertising for Pedal Power. Pedal Power Pedal Power Pedal Power

Satellite
12-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Used to do that all the time in the shop..somebody comes in with a 'competitor's' water bottle, I'd throw them away, really, grab them and throw them in the trash, fill up 2 of mine and give them to them. Always with water, never with some sort of 'food', cuz some get snippy about the stuff they drink onna ride.

BUT cheap advertising. As a bike shop owner, you know you have 'arrived' when you find your bottles on the side of the road.

Oldpotatoe,

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Satellite

Black Dog
12-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Satellite

I am going to try this at my local Porche dealership. :)

oldpotatoe
12-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I am going to try this at my local Porche dealership. :)

doh!

Black Dog
12-29-2014, 11:00 AM
doh!

Damn. That is not quite what I was hoping for. :mad:

Back to the Jetta TDI Wagon for me... :banana: