PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Pack for Cycling

Splash
12-26-2014, 02:44 AM
Not wanting a discussion on why bike frame mounted water bottle holders are better (or worse than body mounted hydration packs). Instead, I want your recommendations on certain brands of good / lightweight body mounted hydration bladders for shortish rides (up to 100kms) - that I can use on my road bike on regular morning pace line group rides (and never on mountain bike riding).

Now that I am riding on roads with city traffic, i am not too keen / nor comfortable relying on my bike mounted water bottles - especially when riding fast in paceline groups close to cars where i need to be careful not to drop the bottle out of the holder, crash the bike into someone else, etc...I also want to be able to sip smaller volumes of water more often and in a more controllable way - which is better IMO for better hydration.

i see some hydration packs focus on having much of the bladder around lower back regions...? Not interested in bike mounted bladder bags either.

Can you offer any tips/opinions on brands for back mounted hydration packs of shorter rides on the road (and not touring bikes)?

Splash

richspeeds
12-26-2014, 03:50 AM
I've got the Platypus Tokul XC 3L (2L Hydration + 1L Storage); it's quite minimal, which is nice. The suspended Big Zip hydration system Platypus uses is very easy to clean and use, as compared to the Camelbaks. I use it for all my mountain rides, and I would recommend it if you're looking for a light hydration pack.

Splash
12-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Thanks.

Where is most of the bladder weight (when full) located on your back? How is the level of sweat build up in between it and your back? This link raises some issues on chemical tastes, bite valve and limited sizing in this particular pack:
http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Tokul-3-0-Hydration-Pack/dp/B00GOW39YC

Do you have any issues with your pack in this respect? Anyone know of smaller volume rated hydration packs?

Your views on these ones?
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/source-dune-hydration-backpack.html
http://www.geigerrig.com.au/?cate=320.php&page=332.html
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-unzen-2l-volume-hydration-pack/rp-prod128713?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=Australia&gs=1&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAq_SkBRC3jLvJ1IPt2eIBEiQASUZy1ycPHDSG VIaSOilzZAUzfFN104pHdlBUjXTFXom5wtwaAvAe8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

SPlash

richspeeds
12-26-2014, 04:32 AM
The bladder sits near the lower-back region. With the waist and chest strap, I was able to adjust the weight to a comfortable region.

Since the pack is fairly narrow, I've never noticed any major sweat issues on my back. The straps are breathable and quite comfortable imo.

I also experienced the chemical taste of the hydration pack, but a solid cleaning—as mentioned in the Amazon review—did the job for me. The valve hasn't been problematic.

My only complaint is the pack's limited storage capabilities, but I usually don't use up the full 2L of hydration anyway, so that leaves room to store whatever I need. The pack was very well constructed, which I was stoked about. Overall, perfect for short trips; however, a bigger pack would be recommended for longer trips. Hope this was helpful!

Splash
12-26-2014, 04:51 AM
Thanks Richspeeds.

Would you recommend it for use on road bike use only (with zero MTB riding) - in lieu of water bottles?

Splash

Bradford
12-26-2014, 08:39 AM
I use a Camelbak flashflo when I need a hydration pack. 50 ounces, a little room for bars or your phone, and best of all, sits on your waist, not on your back. I really hate anything on my back during a ride and find that I don't notice the flash flow is there. The tube is easy to reach on the hip belt and has the added advantage of being easy to reach for your wife when she is on the back of the tandem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malcolm
12-26-2014, 08:44 AM
I used and loved an old camel back lobo. I crashed on the mtn bike and destroyed it. I replaced it with a new one and it's nice but I like the old one better not really sure why except the fill opening on the new one is more of a pain to close properly, quick closure vs just threaded on the old one.

I also had an osprey for a while and it was very nice probably overall higher quality than the camel back but was too bulky for me. They make them in multiple sizes though so you may want to look at them.

I've not found them to be noticeably hot on the bike or running, but I'm in the southeast where the temps are routinely mid to upper 90s in the summer so maybe I just don't notice.

You'll not be cool amongst the hard core roadies with a hydration pack if that matters. I would also add, and I don't mean this to be harsh, if you're not comfortable removing and replacing a bottle while riding you need to practice because it should be second nature. I see folks at century rides and the like dropping bottles and it's quite dangerous for those behind you and shouldn't happen.

Dead Man
12-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Do you look down when you deal with your bidon? You need to learn to pull and reinsert without looking... you'll probably discover all of your anxieties disappear when you don't need to take your eyes off the road/ass of the dude in front of you to squirt a sip.

Sounds to me like you're trying to shortcut learning an essential bike handling skill. You're not gonna find a lot of support for that

christian
12-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Get the smallest Dakine. I did a tonne of research on this when I bought mine and the Dakines were the best option in nearly every size.

Splash
12-26-2014, 12:36 PM
thanks guys.

christian - is the one you refer to?

http://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Sweeper-Waist-Hydration-Pack/dp/B004ZGA8TI/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1419619525&sr=1-4

splash

unterhausen
12-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I have an Osprey that I really like, but it's not particularly small. I think it's the 2.5L. I have it for capacity in high temperature riding. I still use water bottles when I wear it, but only for nutriton.

aramis
12-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Do you look down when you deal with your bidon? You need to learn to pull and reinsert without looking... you'll probably discover all of your anxieties disappear when you don't need to take your eyes off the road/ass of the dude in front of you to squirt a sip.

Sounds to me like you're trying to shortcut learning an essential bike handling skill. You're not gonna find a lot of support for that

That's what I'm thinking too. It took me a while to get good at grabbing/reinserting a bottle while dead tired following a wheel, but once you can do it, it's no big deal. Just practice while riding alone after hard efforts and don't let yourself look down.

toytech
12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I second the Dakine hydro packs I love mine. I think being able to carry more water and use more safely than a bottle (yes I can use one) makes hydro packs superior to in all but impressing people I don't care if I impress.
When I mountain bike in the summer I go through all 100 oz sometimes.
It is nice to be able to carry extra stuff on long rides too.

Splash
12-26-2014, 01:54 PM
christian and toy tech - do you use your hydration packs for road biking or just MTB?

SPlash

unterhausen
12-26-2014, 01:59 PM
since I don't ride pacelines that much, I'm not as good at eating or drinking in groups nowadays, so I understand where the OP is coming from. I use my pack on the road.

Splash
12-26-2014, 02:03 PM
how do you find the 'sloshiness' factor on that pack?

splash

jischr
12-26-2014, 06:01 PM
I used a Camelbak Blowfish for years and then got tired of the size of the bag. I could pack a weeks worth of chews, arm warmers, a pump, two tubes, and more. That was great when I was doing longer solo rides. Now I use a CamelBak Rogue. Same large bladder with a third of the size pack. Can still pack a day's supplies but a much smaller foot print on my back. The weight and being on my back never bothered me. In the summer I fill the bladder with two trays of ice cubes, top off with water, and drink ice water for 2-3 hours. Can't beat a large insulated bag in the summer heat on long rides. I think both of my bladders are 3L. You could probably get by with a 1L if your rides are an hour or if the group stops to refill their bottles mid ride.
As far as taste, the bite valve can get salt encrusted in the summer and add a flavor. The elastomers/plastics used will always leave a slight almost non-noticeable taste whether a bottle or bladder, and post sanitizing almost always has a bit more chlorine flavor than usual.

christian
12-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I use mine only for mtb, but I ride to the trail. There's no reason to think it wouldn't work well on the road.

As for the specific one you linked to, I was thinking of a backpack style one. I have the Amp 12 liter. The Shuttle 6 liter should work well for you.

carpediemracing
12-26-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm typically very open minded about trying new things with the bike. If it doesn't work I eliminate it. I gave the whole fluid bladder thing a solid try in 2011.

At the time I'd just upgraded to Cat 2. I was looking for some "free" speed (meaning wattage free, not money free), I went with the idea of using an aero tubed frame and no bottles. I invested quite a bit into the idea, with a custom frame where I initially asked for no cage mounts (thankfully the builder convinced me that four rivnuts wouldn't hurt and if I ever changed my mind I'd be set) and two CamelBaks, one a jersey based one (for races, I thought) and one a regular bag one (smallest one they sold I think).

This is one of the only races where I used the set up (I used the jersey I think).
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/TU9e586PpEI/AAAAAAAADPM/mfCKn9CJf0M/s800/DSC_0797.JPG

I did a big training block with the CamelBak, building up my bike and then riding it while out in SoCal in January. I was out there for my then-annual "2-3 week training trip" so I had all the time in the world to fiddle with the set up.

I found that I liked the bag up high, not low. Counter intuitive, perhaps, but it was much more reasonable when out of the saddle, especially in sprints. My shoulders apparently don't move that much.

I also liked having the straps tighter than looser, else the bag would move around. I didn't use the separate CamelBak bag to hold tools/etc, I used my pockets. The jersey based CamelBak had pockets but I usually wore a jersey over it, to wear my team kit.

The jersey was an absolute pain to get into. It was super tight to keep the bag from moving but gave very little. I used it for shorter rides as I couldn't refill the bladder without an arduous undressing/redressing process. This is not something I'd want to do mid-ride.

The small regular CamelBak was okay. Easier to refill of course. I experimented with where to leave the nozzle. Initially I tried to make it so I didn't have to do much to drink, i.e. reach over and grab the nozzle with my mouth (I figured it'd be more aero, maintaining my position). Unfortunately the reality is that it's tough to do that - it's like leaning over to drink from cup with a straw that someone else is holding. I ended up with the nozzle somewhere under my chin and I'd grab it with a hand and put it in my mouth. First bit, even with the insulated sleeve thing, was always warm, but the bag kept things reasonably cool.

On longer rides, 3+ hours, I'd stop to refill the bladder. No biggie, didn't have to undress, etc.

However, by the time the end of March rolled around, with I think 5 or 6 days of racing plus the massive (for me) block of training in SoCal, I decided to abandon the CamelBak thing. It was too much of a pain, the aero benefits were minimal at best, and the slight constriction I felt with the bag or the jersey made me feel like I was suffocating when I was working super hard.

In fact, in the picture above, I'm getting shelled in a decidedly difficult M35+ race, the Red Trolley (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2011/02/racing-red-trolley-crit-2011.html). I only recognized one name in the field, Steve Hegg, and although he tried to make it in the break he either never made it there or got shelled. I made it to 4 to go when I couldn't hang, and I sat up a lap later to watch the fireworks.

In the end I decided against using CamelBaks. I wasn't training much or with much conviction - I don't mention why in the blog or in public but we were trying to start a family and I didn't want to be in the middle of another "great season" when I needed to change focus. And the biggest benefit of the CamelBak, the insulation, I found that the CamelBak Podium Ice bottles worked great (and in fact I still use the two I got that year). The CamelBaks were more of a pain to fill, although I could carry more if, say, I bought a quart of Gatorade or something.

For me, the main reason for the CamelBak was to be more aero and they gave me a dubious advantage at best. Now I'd consider it again if I had a skinsuit, lost some weight relative to 2011 (so I could fit in the CamelBak jersey without suffocating myself - I was a 5-8 lbs heavier than in 2010 and am currently a few pounds heavier than 2011), had an aero helmet, etc. I'd want to snag the low hanging "aero" fruit before revisiting the bladder thing.

bigbill
12-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I use a 72oz Camelbak on my June-August rides here in NE Texas. I fill it with ice and water. I also carry single 28oz bottle of electrolyte on the bike. For me, it's about carrying enough water to not dehydrate. On a hot 2 hour ride, I'll empty it and the routes around here don't have places to fill up.

12-26-2014, 09:40 PM
All these hydration packs tend to be designed to sit off the back, good for MTB but when you're in a racing position on a road bike, you want something that fits closer to you. I started using one of the Mission Workshop Hauser 14's for gravel and long-distance country dirt roads and used a low-profile hydration sack sold by Goruck.com. The whole thing is very flat, form-fitting, cool and well ventilated, and stays in place nicely when you are down in a racing position. It's a superb bag, rather ridiculously priced but built entirely in line with the price. You can use any hydration bladder with it, but the shallow one from Goruck (and you can sometimes find it on Amazon at a slightly cheaper price) cuts the depth of the bag in half. That shallow profile means it doesn't try to run up onto your neck or slide around sideways as much. Good pack.

Splash
12-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Thanks Gents.

Some great responses.

11:4 - What is the model name of that shallow Goruck version?

I cannot see it on their website...

Splash

weisan
12-27-2014, 04:29 AM
http://www.loadedpocketz.com/mission-workshop-hauser-14l/

Splash
12-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Great link - looks the goods.

interesting issues raised about not being able to easily setup the "shape-shifter baffle" and without this baffle, the bladder would not flatten out..

Do you think it will do the job for road use only?

SPlash

csm
12-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I've got an Osprey. In fact, my backpacking back pack, my ski pack and my bike back pack are all Osprey. They all use the same bladder and Osprey makes a couple/few sizes. I think I have a 3.0l, 2.5l and a 2.0l. I use the bike one for longer trail riding on my Fargo. I'm too much of a snob to wear one on the road.
Though the next time I ride RAGBRAI I think I'll at least take it along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

smead
12-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I've used a camelbak hydrobak 50 oz for years on double centuries. It sits up high on my back (clears access to jersey pockets). I don't notice the weight of 50oz at all, nor do I really notice it heating me up. Sometimes I'll finish a long ride w/o touching it all day, but I like the insurance of having it if I need it and the option of skipping stops late in a ride ...

Dead Man
12-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I will confess to using one for gran fondo-and-longer rides when it's super hot and I have no hope for mid-ride refuel. I've got some extremely remote mountain roads that go on for hundreds of miles, and when it's 95 degrees out, two bidons on the bike are not enough.

For that, I use the old-style camelback neoprene sleeve pack for 100oz badder. It's very low pro, slick, no pockets, and just two web shoulder straps. Adds no weight aside from the liquid weight (which isn't insubstantial), is aero, and with a couple of soupy electro drinks on the bike, will get me through a heat-wave century in them hills.

I went looking for more of the neoprene sleeves I speak of recently, but it looks like camelbak straight up doesn't make them anymore. All I could find was GI surplus on eBay. Cheap!

Jgrooms
12-27-2014, 04:44 PM
I do some long rides (6-10 hrs) & I hate stopping due to a 2 bottle capacity. I have 3 CamelBak classics. Ones wo flap over fill lid. 50 & 70 oz models. They are minimalist. Small pocket. Non padded mesh straps. The larger model has the external web strap to strap up extra clothes. Great when its 35 start & 55 finish. One I cut the part of the back out for hot days/frozen bladder.

So three bottles in the bag w electrolights & two on the bike w Perp mix good for 5 plus.

I wear 'em w straps all the way out, so it sets low on back. As I drink, the weight comes even further off the top.

Also use tube insulator/director for nearly 'hands free'. Great for group gravel things, as the bottle only boys have to work to get a drink.

You can find these models on ebay fairly often.

Jgrooms
12-27-2014, 04:46 PM
One on ebay...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/be2d21821e0867b72de07c265c0228e8.jpg

Splash
12-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys.

Would the darker external colours of the hydropack induce the water to heat up - as opposed to lighter external colours?

Splash

12-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Here's the low profile bladder. It's only about half the depth of most of the rest. It works well and lets you keep a very shallow pack while fitting pretty much any bag. This is the one you see most often in rucking events, which are a big offshoot of crossfit these days.

http://www.goruck.com/en/low-profile-hydration-bladder#.VJ9FeALAQ

Jgrooms
12-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Would the darker external colours of the hydropack induce the water to heat up - as opposed to lighter external colours?

Splash

I have considered this. But have only found them in blue & black. Mil sand camo? But those bags have all the gizmos. Some winter packs are ice blue / light gray, but overly insulated.

Having said this, frozen solid bladder goes a long way on hot days.

Splash
12-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I have choice between hi-vis yellow, red, blue and graphite (black).

thinking of the black to try and not to much out place, but may induce heating of the bladder on warm days..?

Splash

gdw
12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I've used both black and lighter colored carriers mountain biking and hiking in the deserts of the southwest and never noticed any difference in the water's temperature.

xjoex
12-28-2014, 09:54 AM
I like Platypus packs. I ride in the Duthie http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/08/review-platypus-am-duthie-17-hydration.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tBqzC9yVAj0/Uf0SKDI2WcI/AAAAAAAANsA/84s9yw7Ihvc/s600/P8020546.jpg

-Joe