PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for Paris Roubaix sportive/grand fondo/challenge

radsmd
12-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Just signed up for the Thomson Tours Spring Classics where we will get to ride the Paris Roubaix grand fondo/sportive/challenge the day before the actual race (http://www.thomsonbiketours.com/trips/Spring-Classics/index.html) tour next April and need advise on wheel selection.

Planning on taking the Ritchey Ti Breakaway Cross and have the Vittoria Pave 27 tubulars on order. The question is what wheels to mount these on. Choices include:

1. Reynolds DV46
2. Enve 25
3. Easton EC90SLX

Leaning towards the Reynolds, since we will also be riding portions of the Tour of Flanders, Amstel Gold, La Flèche Wallone, and LBL. Thinking the DV46 would be a good all around wheelset.

Any suggestions?

ultraman6970
12-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Ultra would pick aluminum wheels just because you never know what could happen, even if you dent an aluminum rim you can continue your riding later on w/o too much worries, crack any of those carbon rims and then you might need to start thinking in getting a new set of wheels comming back from the ride.

But that's just me, after all is your call and how lucky you get in the cobblestones too. I know carbon wheels are super race proven but since I dont have like 2000 bucks to drop in a set of wheels in rides like the ones you are going to do, I would be cautious and play it safe. Not funny trash 2ks just because of going light or because of vanity specially with cobblestones, again but that's just me :)

Good luck in the ride tho, sure will be awesome :)

radsmd
12-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Ultra would pick aluminum wheels just because you never know what could happen, even if you dent an aluminum rim you can continue your riding later on w/o too much worries, crack any of those carbon rims and then you might need to start thinking in getting a new set of wheels comming back from the ride.

But that's just me, after all is your call and how lucky you get in the cobblestones too. I know carbon wheels are super race proven but since I dont have like 2000 bucks to drop in a set of wheels in rides like the ones you are going to do, I would be cautious and play it safe. Not funny trash 2ks just because of going light or because of vanity specially with cobblestones, again but that's just me :)

Good luck in the ride tho, sure will be awesome :)

Thought about that as well. Don't have any aluminum tubular wheels, but do have aluminum clincher wheel sets. Actually worried about pinch flats with clinchers which are less likely to happen with tubulars. So, maybe a set of A23's with wide open clinchers? This is probably a once in a lifetime trip, so would probably prefer riding tubies rather than clinchers.

Russity
12-25-2014, 02:39 AM
A pinch flat is a worry on the cobbles, but at least you can change it pretty quickly and easily with a clincher and not just the once. A flat with a tubular may cause bigger grief for the overall enjoyment of the ride. Having to carry a spare tyre and get that thing changed would be real hassles? Just a thought.

Go with whatever you yourself feel most comfy with. That way you won't worry about it during the ride.

Have a great ride..you're going to love it.

shovelhd
12-25-2014, 08:52 AM
I wouldnt trust the Eastons on the cobbles, they're too light. The Envy may be a bit stronger. The Reynolds are a great all around wheel, aero and strong, so I'd go with those.

radsmd
12-25-2014, 09:10 AM
I wouldnt trust the Eastons on the cobbles, they're too light. The Envy may be a bit stronger. The Reynolds are a great all around wheel, aero and strong, so I'd go with those.

This is my thought also. The Reynolds should be a great all around wheel, strong but light enough for some of the climbs on the rest of the tour. Will be bring extra tires of course. This is a supported tour so would have help with mechanicals (although I am ready to take care of them myself if needed).

bcroslin
12-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Between those 3 I'd go with the Enves. Light, strong with a little bit of aero.

With that said, my choice would be to ride clinchers (C-24s) and run lower psi. I'd rather deal with quickly replacing a tube than having to carry a spare tire with me and the hassle of swapping a tubie.

christian
12-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Reynolds all the way.

Joachim
12-25-2014, 09:37 AM
My first question would be...have you ever ridden cobbles similar to the ones of PR? These are very different from the cobbles on the roads in Flanders or the few cobbled section in L-B-L. Have ridden all of those, I would leave the Easton's and the Enve's. That leaves you with the Reynolds. Even if the pros ride Zipps and other carbon wheels, for 'century/cyclosportive' events, I would recommend alloy tubulars. Kinlin tb25, nemesis, gp4, Montreals, shamal, all will do the trick. The stiffness of carbon tubulars can be very unforgiving for cyclosportive riders, even at low pressures, on the cobbles of PR.

shovelhd
12-25-2014, 09:42 AM
I find it interesting that all the racers are recommending the Reynolds.

radsmd
12-25-2014, 09:42 AM
My first question would be...have you ever ridden cobbles similar to the ones of PR? These are very different from the cobbles on the roads in Flanders or the few cobbled section in L-B-L. Have ridden all of those, I would leave the Easton's and the Enve's. That leaves you with the Reynolds. Even if the pros ride Zipps and other carbon wheels, for 'century/cyclosportive' events, I would recommend alloy tubulars. Kinlin tb25, nemesis, gp4, Montreals, shamal, all will do the trick. The stiffness of carbon tubulars can be very unforgiving for cyclosportive riders, even at low pressures, on the cobbles of PR.

Thanks. This is a great forum, with info coming from great sources.
I have never ridden anything close to what the cobbles should be. I'm in San Diego, where the roads are all relatively well maintained. That brings me to my "training" regimen for the next few months, to be discussed in another thread.

I may look into some alloy tubulars or clinchers.

thwart
12-25-2014, 09:56 AM
They've kinda lost their 'cool wheel' rep over the past couple of years, but Ambrosio Nemesis laced to a nice hubset with DT Comps (or similar) would be my choice.

As it was for many pros riding P-R up to very recently…

And I'd certainly do tubulars, assuming you have some degree of comfort with tire changes. And if you don't, you've got a few months to work on it.

ultraman6970
12-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I have a set like this that will work, not super light tho but normal...

Get the miche pistard tubular wheels (the aluminum ones) like for 300 bucks... and get a set of hubs to pair them with those rims and ready to go. Probably you even have hubs moving around too.

I have a friend in spain that has a set like that for CX. Those rims stand anything, surprise me that miche use them only for track wheels, i been in a set like that for the last 4 years, no problems, I find them 10 times better than velocity rims that to me are really crappy. The rims are machined and anodized so you have a nice brake surface too, the only thing is that you might need to move the miche stickers to another place around the rim or just take them off.

AngryScientist
12-25-2014, 11:11 AM
This is probably a once in a lifetime trip,...

take my advice with a grain of salt of course, and realize that i know nothing about your trip or accommodations you've secured. Carbon tubulars with $200 dollar tires seem like a great "plan A", but do you have a plan B if you tear one of those on the first day of your trip? chances are you'll be fine, but it would be the suck if you're down a tire early in the trip and are relying on a spare tubular with a temp glue job for the rest of your time across the pond. i know i dont want to dive down a fun descent too fast with a not perfectly glued tubie.

just a thought, but a nice set of wide alloy clinchers isnt going to ride too much worse than the tubies will, and a few spare tubes and tires that are available anywhere inspires a little more confidence IMO. if you can bring a back-up wheelset, all of the above is out the window.

Neil
12-25-2014, 12:23 PM
They've kinda lost their 'cool wheel' rep over the past couple of years, but Ambrosio Nemesis laced to a nice hubset with DT Comps (or similar) would be my choice.

And I'd certainly do tubulars, assuming you have some degree of comfort with tire changes. And if you don't, you've got a few months to work on it.

^Another vote for this sensible advice.

Veloflex Paris-Roubaix on Ambrosio Nemesis would be (indeed, is) my choice for PR.

Gives you the opportunity to wrap a spare tub round your shoulders for maximum old-school points, also.

I've got a pair of Nemesis on 6800 hubs you are welcome to borrow, currently they have 25c Sprinter Gatorskins on, but I'd swap them for larger volume if you can (the largest you can fit in your frame tbh).

Lionel
12-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Did it 3 years ago and doing it again this year.

I used Nemesis rims on record hubs 32/32 with FMB PR last time. This is a great setup for this ride. As others have said the cobbles there are brutal. I would definitely stay away from the Enve or the Easton. The reynolds maybe OK but if you hit a cobble the wrong way they can just be trashed right there.

This year I plan to use the same wheels if it is dry. I have a plan B with tubeless 32mm tires in case it is wet and muddy.

krhea
12-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Reynolds

radsmd
12-25-2014, 03:53 PM
I've got a pair of Nemesis on 6800 hubs you are welcome to borrow, currently they have 25c Sprinter Gatorskins on, but I'd swap them for larger volume if you can (the largest you can fit in your frame tbh).

That is a very generous offer, but I would certainly be worried about damaging somebody else's wheels.

radsmd
12-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Did it 3 years ago and doing it again this year.

I used Nemesis rims on record hubs 32/32 with FMB PR last time. This is a great setup for this ride. As others have said the cobbles there are brutal. I would definitely stay away from the Enve or the Easton. The reynolds maybe OK but if you hit a cobble the wrong way they can just be trashed right there.

This year I plan to use the same wheels if it is dry. I have a plan B with tubeless 32mm tires in case it is wet and muddy.

I am so excited. Hope I am not getting in over my head.

Right now, looks like either the Reynolds, maybe look for a used set of alloy tubulars (good time at the end of cx season), or at last resort, the wide A23 with some 30 or 32 clinchers.

christian
12-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I had a pair of Nemesis, recently sold. They were fine wheels but I don't see they did anything better than a set of 50mm carbon tubulars would, except be cheaper. Anything that would kill the carbons would kill the Nemeses too.

gemship
12-25-2014, 04:45 PM
I had a pair of Nemesis, recently sold. They were fine wheels but I don't see they did anything better than a set of 50mm carbon tubulars would, except be cheaper. Anything that would kill the carbons would kill the Nemeses too.

Well noted after all it is a crapshoot to presume this or that. However since we are talking about brutal road conditions where weight difference and aero benefits mean zilch it seems if one were to ruin a rim the cheaper of the two seems more sensible to be on:rolleyes:

Joachim
12-25-2014, 05:19 PM

More likely than total rim failure is a broken spoke. A 32 hole nemesis with a broken spoke can still get you to the finish, a Reynolds with 24 rear spokes, maybe not. Another thing to consider is that a nemesis wheelset would be a little more comfortable over those cobbles than 50mm stiff carbon rims. And believe me, you need all the comfort you can get over those roads.

12-25-2014, 05:53 PM
I lived there for several years and rode these roads in training and also a lot of racing. I still go back from time to time as a DS for various groups.

Here are a few random thoughts:

First, spoke breakage is something of the past unless you simply fall or get taken down and something goes through the wheel. And even if it happens, rims like the Reynolds have a lot of internal rigidity and have as much chance of making it back as a Nemesis will. Spoke count isn't about durability -- it's about what the rim design needs, and that's why a lower spoke count with carbon rims is just fine.

Second, your tire will protect your rim. You don't say what your weight is, but without a lot of experience on these roads I'd suggest you go big and with a fair amount of tread. The tread doesn't help on the flat stuff, but when you're on the edges of cobbles it does help a bit. Smooth tires don't do you any favors on slimy cobbles.

Third, the Nemesis has one significant advantage: it has a slight bit of give that survives even with a bunch of spokes trying to hold it rigid. That means it takes a little bit of the cobble ricochet away from your hands and butt. The comfort was more of a reason than durability for why Nemesis rims persisted for several years in the face of sponsors who wanted their wheels ridden. You want to consider just how beaten up you're going to be after half of the event is behind you.

Fourth, as far as choices between carbon rims, your first question should really be to ask realistically how fast you're going to be. You probably aren't going to be in a low aero tuck because your lower back and shoulders are quickly going to be so sore, and aero wheels aren't going to make up for the aerodynamics of an upright position. And the wind can be pretty ferocious there. In fact, depending on the day and the part of the route, you can be facing a serious crosswind and it can bat your front wheel all over the place. If you aren't really going to be fast enough to take advantage of aero rims, just buy for durability. I wouldn't knock the Enves at all. They are very sturdy and if you get the new wider series, they will give you a lot of extra stability for a fat tubular. Last thing you want to do is have a tubular at low air pressure wobbling back and forth on a skinny rim. It's just unnerving even for pros and you'll slow down. If you slow down on cobbles, you go up and down every one instead of across the tops, and you'll die a slow death. So I'd seriously think about wide rims. Pros don't see too many Enves when racing these cobbles, but that's a sponsorship thing. They really like riding Firecrests because of the width and the stability. The width also lets you go a little lower on pressure, which means both traction and comfort.

Fifth, as far as braking does, you don't want to brake a lot. You take a few seconds recovering as you slow down coming into a turn and then you coast or pedal through. When in a group, you shouldn't have to be on your brakes. So I wouldn't worry about relative braking ability. Frankly all brakes go to hell on those roads, whether it's wet, slimy, or dry and dusty. The driest days have had some of the worst braking because the dust can be like a talcum (much of it isn't real mineral but just decayed plant matter so it can lubricate more than produce abrasion). Don't worry about braking.

As for riding this event, it's a big trip and you're already spending a lot of money on it. Go the whole way. Ride the best wheels for your needs. You'll be putting a huge amount of time (and money) into this trip, both for training and the event, so just go in with complete confidence in your wheels and everything else with you.

You really want to believe in your wheels. You want to ride for yourself, not to protect your wheels, if you know what I mean. Go into the event really willing to bash them, and you'll end up protecting yourself a lot more and riding faster. I'm not suggesting doing something stupid to them, but your point is to ride the event, not come back with pristine wheels, right?

You won't do bad with Ambrosio Nemesis rims in, say, a 32 spoking. Your wheels will feel a bit stabler because of rim width if you're on the Enve's or something in that category. Personally I'd grab the Enve's just because on French cobbles they will give you a little bit better control. Mostly, just go have a great time.

joosttx
12-25-2014, 06:16 PM
I am riding the PR this year. I plan to ride DT Swiss 440 RR with sectuer 28 tubeless if dry, if wet Trigger Pros 32.

abalone
12-25-2014, 06:20 PM
There has been a trend over the last few years of the pros even running bigger tires than before, with some going over 30mm.

radsmd
12-25-2014, 07:16 PM
So many great reasons for one wheel over another. These 3 carbon wheel choices are due to the fact that I already have them in my stable of wheels. Never had a need for a high spoke count alloy tubular(until now). I am all for having the right tools for the right job.

I am definitely going to look more into a set of nemesis ambrosia, maybe on some shimano hubs or even some CK R45's.

dougefresh
12-25-2014, 07:23 PM
i'll let other's chime in on your wheel choice, my advice is just to ride on the tops or drops while on pave, not up on the hoods. enjoy, flanders and northern france, it is the best place to be in the spring!

Hls2k6
12-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Hate to ignore your choices, but I'd go Enve 3.4 on R45's or DT240's. I found them considerably more robust than the previous-generation 45's. If I couldn't afford them or I wanted a higher spoke count, I'd do HED Belgium's with the same hubs.

radsmd
12-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Tough looking for the nemesis ambrosio rims/wheels. What say the forum on the HED Ardennes FR tubular? Will it be tough enough for PR?

BTW, 165 pounds. No problems with spoke breakage in the past.

Lionel
12-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Look at this for some perspective on the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSpuhIQg1A

ultraman6970
12-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Great video.. you have to go kind'a fast to "float" over the cobblestones and holes, not other way to do that thing.

radsmd
12-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Look at this for some perspective on the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSpuhIQg1A

Awesome video.

Body gets pretty beat up, looking at the jiggling arm muscles. Unfortunately I have a little more arm soft tissues to jiggle compared to those guys (as well as soft tissues around the gut). 😜

Lionel
12-26-2014, 01:27 PM
arms, hands are really taking a beating. That and the first thing to check after the arrival is that you can still pee :)

beeatnik
12-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Awesome video.

Body gets pretty beat up, looking at the jiggling arm muscles. Unfortunately I have a little more arm soft tissues to jiggle compared to those guys (as well as soft tissues around the gut). 😜

Nice shots of the Ambrosios.

Neil
12-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Just don't do what I did and ride an alloy cross bike with tn719 rims and 28c clinchers- 4 pinch flats despite high pressures.

I bought my Nemesis wheel set just in case I am ever crazy enough to ride PR again.

Look585
12-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Sturdy aluminum clinchers and the widest tires you can fit in your frame. If this is a once in a lifetime ride, I'd value finishing far above any small increase in comfort or aeroness. Leave the tubs at home. From what I could tell, there was very little roadside support.

36* Velocity Synergy with Vittoria Rubino 28s was what I used. 1 pinch flat over the full distance.

PaMtbRider
12-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Buy these and be done with it. That is a killer price for Hed Tubulars.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/hed-ardennes-fr-wheelset-tubular?ti=UExQIFJ1bGUgQmFzZWQ6Q29tcG9uZW50IFNhbGU 6ODozODpjYXQxMDAyMDY4NTg&skid=HED001F-ONECOL-ONESIZ

wildboar
12-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Johann Museeuw's bike, 2002

Count the spokes:

cash05458
12-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I have ridden those "roads" back when I lived in Belgie...I would just use something simple like mavic op's, clinchers...36 back 32 front...and the guys are right, you do better via going faster...not super fast to waste yourself and get stupid...but you want to hit the things hard and move over em as quickly as possible...have a great time!

radsmd
12-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Buy these and be done with it. That is a killer price for Hed Tubulars.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/hed-ardennes-fr-wheelset-tubular?ti=UExQIFJ1bGUgQmFzZWQ6Q29tcG9uZW50IFNhbGU 6ODozODpjYXQxMDAyMDY4NTg&skid=HED001F-ONECOL-ONESIZ

These are the ones I was looking at. They have a weight limit of 190 lbs, which is what worries me, although I am below that limit.

Anarchist
12-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Nemesis or the Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC, the two best rims ever.

Either one would be perfect for this use.

Joachim
12-26-2014, 06:39 PM
HED Belgium tubular rims, 32 spoke 3x with brass nipples will be good also. Glue some 27 or 28mm tubulars and you are golden.

rwsaunders
12-26-2014, 06:44 PM
These are the ones I was looking at. They have a weight limit of 190 lbs, which is what worries me, although I am below that limit.

I read 190-225# in the ad.

PaMtbRider
12-26-2014, 07:27 PM

I would call competitive cyclist and verify what the spoke count is. Standard spoke count should be 24 rear 18 front and is good for 190 lbs. Stallion build is 28 rear 20 front and is good for 225. They list these as 28 / 18 and 190 -225 weight limit.

12-26-2014, 08:57 PM
I'd probably pass on Paris Roubaix's if you have the option there. The braking surfaces have very little height, less than the height of contemporary brake blocks. Especially on cobbles, you will find your brake blocks rubbing holes in your tire casing right above the rim bed.

The Hed Belgium Tubulars are really quite nice. There is more surface area to hold mud and muck (don't think that because it's tapered the stuff will slide off -- it can be way too sticky for that). I had a pair that I rode all over northern France a year ago and I just set them up as 28/32. That was because I had those hubs already; at your weight you should be able to do anything from 20/28 upwards, though I don't see the value in saving a few spokes unless you are quite light.

But among the wheels you already said you had, it comes back for me to the Enve's. You don't need a high profile. You do ideally want a wider rim. And you want durable. Those rims with a 27+ mm tire should be just fine. You aren't in an event where you have to ride on your rim until Mavic support comes along. Remember that if you've chosen tubulars and you are on your second, third, or fourth tubular, you not only don't have a full glue job going but if the weather's bad you have a spare tubular that will probably have some water and mud between it and the rim; if the day is dry, it may be organic silt and grit. (Again, much of what passes for dust or dirt in the area is just decomposed vegetable matter (which includes animal droppings). It's surprisingly slippery and can really foul up the glue on your tire bed. Why do I point this out again? Because a wider rim is better to keep a tire in such a state in place on the wheel. You may have to pump it up a bit higher to be sure it doesn't roll, and swap it quickly if it gets soft again, but it'll make it to the finish.

A couple other things. Coat your sidewalls just like for cross -- you're going to scrape them on the sides of cobbles when you drop down between stones, and they need the protection. Set your brake blocks a little low so they hang towards the inside edge of the braking surface, and also take the blocks out and trim the upper edges a little -- they have a shallow egg shape and you want to take off the upper curvature. The blocks usually have a taper and tend to flare as they wear and you don't want that flare to encroach on the tire. Last, set your block spacing very loose around the rims -- you are likely to jam things around a bit and you don't want to have to struggle with loosening the brake cable during the event. If you have Dura Ace 9000/6800 brakes, it's very helpful to have the allen key to fit the brake adjustment screw in the upper arm -- it's very accessible and an easy way to adjust brakes on the fly. Every mechanic following the big cobbled classics has one of those allen keys taped to the right rear door so he can grab it and adjust brakes on the fly.

radsmd
12-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I'd probably pass on Paris Roubaix's if you have the option there. The braking surfaces have very little height, less than the height of contemporary brake blocks. Especially on cobbles, you will find your brake blocks rubbing holes in your tire casing right above the rim bed.

Was not thinking about the Challenge PR tires, the ride is called the Paris Roubaix Challenge, or grand fondo or sportive (I have seen all 3 different names). It is the ride the day before the actual race, the n the same course. Corrected my original post to reflect that. I have the Vittoria Pave 27 tubulars on order, but after seeing the video above and listening to everybody's suggestion, I may actually go with a wider tubular or possibly clincher. So many choices, mainly limited by being able to bring just 1 wheelset since I'll be flying over from San Diego.

Thank you for the all the additional info regarding the brakes and possible issues with debris.

12-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Was not thinking about the Challenge PR tires, the ride is called the Paris Roubaix Challenge, or grand fondo or sportive (I have seen all 3 different names). It is the ride the day before the actual race, the n the same course. Corrected my original post to reflect that. I have the Vittoria Pave 27 tubulars on order, but after seeing the video above and listening to everybody's suggestion, I may actually go with a wider tubular or possibly clincher. So many choices, mainly limited by being able to bring just 1 wheelset since I'll be flying over from San Diego.

Thank you for the all the additional info regarding the brakes and possible issues with debris.

I was referring to the Mavic PR SSC rims. I think that's what the reference was to.

I'm familiar with the ride. There are also a couple continental races over the same UCI course that same week, and I've been over with teams and riders from the US. You'll have a lot of company -- I think there must be 2-3000 riders on the roads that day and it can be pretty competitive among them.

For your tires, you should be just fine with the 27 mm Pave's. They are sturdier than Veloflex Arenbergs or PR's, and I'd say it's not necessary to go buying FMBs or anything like that -- you have to know how to ride cobbles and have good experience to take real advantage of them. You're on the right track. Just be sure as you train for it that you stay healthy and don't go over with a head cold or stomach problem. You need to be rested and healthy more than anything else to complete this event.

radsmd
12-26-2014, 09:37 PM
I was referring to the Mavic PR SSC rims. I think that's what the reference was to.

I'm familiar with the ride. There are also a couple continental races over the same UCI course that same week, and I've been over with teams and riders from the US. You'll have a lot of company -- I think there must be 2-3000 riders on the roads that day and it can be pretty competitive among them.

For your tires, you should be just fine with the 27 mm Pave's. They are sturdier than Veloflex Arenbergs or PR's, and I'd say it's not necessary to go buying FMBs or anything like that -- you have to know how to ride cobbles and have good experience to take real advantage of them. You're on the right track. Just be sure as you train for it that you stay healthy and don't go over with a head cold or stomach problem. You need to be rested and healthy more than anything else to complete this event.

Ahh. Got it. So many things labelled PR--rims, wheels, tires, etc. hard to keep track.

joosttx
12-26-2014, 09:50 PM
This thread has convince me to buy a set of Ambrosio Nemesis for the PR sportive/challenge. I am not going to fool around.

rwsaunders
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM
This thread has convince me to buy a set of Ambrosio Nemesis for the PR sportive/challenge. I am not going to fool around.

+1...Lionel speaks and we listen.

Lionel
12-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Sorry I did not mean to have anyone spend more money :)

Here are a shot of mine when they were new. I cracked the rear rim since and have a new one in there.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Nemesis1.jpg

beeatnik
12-27-2014, 07:08 AM
This thread makes me want to ride these:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3939/15122438484_8c18b13419_b.jpg

Andreas
12-27-2014, 07:27 AM
This thread makes me want to ride these:

Nemesis with a Colnago sticker - :hello:

beeatnik
12-27-2014, 03:20 PM
^Not decals. Secrets....

aaronka
12-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a great riding opportunity.
I'd personally go with Hed Belgium clinchers and some larger volume tires. Able to run at 80-90 psi and carry a couple extra tubes.

enr1co
12-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a great riding opportunity.
I'd personally go with Hed Belgium clinchers and some larger volume tires. Able to run at 80-90 psi and carry a couple extra tubes.

I rode Flanders roads and the Roubaix Sportive earlier this year (2014) and rode my Ritchey Breakaway Ti cross frame with HED Belgium+ clinchers with Vittoria open pave 700x27, ~90-95 PSI and the entire package performed flawlessly.

Have fun- You are in for a fantastic, memorable ride experience no matter what you ride :)

radsmd
12-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I rode Flanders roads and the Roubaix Sportive earlier this year (2014) and rode my Ritchey Breakaway Ti cross frame with HED Belgium+ clinchers with Vittoria open pave 700x27, ~90-95 PSI and the entire package performed flawlessly.

Have fun- You are in for a fantastic, memorable ride experience no matter what you ride :)

I am so looking forward to it.

Lionel
12-28-2014, 11:28 AM
90 psi in 27 seems an awful lot. I had 55 psi in 27 FMB tubs.

radsmd
12-28-2014, 11:32 AM
90 psi in 27 seems an awful lot. I had 55 psi in 27 FMB tubs.

90 sounded pretty high to me also. will be testing out different pressures, but thinking around 65 or so.

Lionel
12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Pro pressure (all on tubulars of course)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7467/15507534964_b43205c6b0_b.jpg

r_mutt
12-28-2014, 05:01 PM
that is Paris-Roubaix?

Pro pressure (all on tubulars of course)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7467/15507534964_b43205c6b0_b.jpg

teleguy57
12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Anyone (11.4?) able to compare the Hed Belgium and Nemesis assuming a wide (27-28mm) tubular for this kind of event?

PaMtbRider
12-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Looking at that chart I am guessing the value is in bar. Thor Hushovd at 6 ft. 180 pounds was running 75 -80 pounds front / rear. Interesting.

radsmd
12-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Just did a ride on some pseudo-cobbles and think I am going WIDE on this one. 27's are sufficient, but getting josseled around on my GB cerf 26 that measures 28 on A23's has me thinking 30's or 32's.

12-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Just did a ride on some pseudo-cobbles and think I am going WIDE on this one. 27's are sufficient, but getting josseled around on my GB cerf 26 that measures 28 on A23's has me thinking 30's or 32's.

Remember that everyone talks about the cobbles but there aren't a lot of them. You have a lot of asphalt to ride and you don't want to disadvantage yourself there so you're more tired than your riding companions when you hit the cobbles.

Also, just going big isn't the answer. Get the right pressure. And remember that it isn't a bad thing if someone is heavier and rides a slightly higher tire pressure on, say, a 27 mm Evo Pave. The point is that one's weight and one's tire pressure offset each other and one ends up roughly with the same kind of ride. That's roughly, of course, but if one is riding big gravel or smooth-tread cross tires, you'll find that the big tires create other problems on cobbles.

Plus, do you have tire clearance (especially with room for lots of mud if it's wet?

sailorboy
12-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I lived there for several years and rode these roads in training and also a lot of racing. I still go back from time to time as a DS for various groups.

...The driest days have had some of the worst braking because the dust can be like a talcum (much of it isn't real mineral but just decayed plant matter so it can lubricate more than produce abrasion). Don't worry about braking....

I'm not sure why this thread wasn't closed after Lane's first lengthy piece of advice which contained my favorite little nugget (above) among other things. This guy has probably forgotten more about riding over there than everyone else who has commented so far combined. Sure I get it's fun to chime in here and that's the whole point of a forum but really, case closed!

With absolutely no offense intended, pro racers use carbon rims on those roads for a lot of reasons, most of which don't likely apply to you. Not sure why you would even consider them over a nice set of wide alloy tubulars or clinchers, either one shod with big tires.

rwsaunders
12-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Here's a decent video on cobble riding from a UK cycling magazine.

http://youtu.be/PVXWhEmeuxM

radsmd
12-28-2014, 08:54 PM
With absolutely no offense intended, pro racers use carbon rims on those roads for a lot of reasons, most of which don't likely apply to you. Not sure why you would even consider them over a nice set of wide alloy tubulars or clinchers, either one shod with big tires.

well, the reason I was considering the Carbon tubulars is that is what I have available to me at the moment. I don't have any alloy tubulars, but may invest in some for this ride.

Thank you to all who have chimed in with their thoughts and insight. Nothing is better than first hand experience and I'll be sure to share my thoughts when I get back b

radsmd
12-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Now I'm really excited. Just picked up a set of HED Belgium C2 tubulars with Pave 24 (which I'll switch out for 27's) on CK R45 hubs on eBay for $440. Makes me feel a little bit better about missing out on those R45's and ambrosio's.

Paris Roubaix, here I come.

sailorboy
12-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Great choice. If I were you I would also make sure a local wrench with plenty of wheel experience gives them a good once-over for spoke tensions etc since you are getting them from flea-bay.

You are officially on the clock now to provide us all with a great post-ride report this spring :beer:

joosttx
12-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Now I'm really excited. Just picked up a set of HED Belgium C2 tubulars with Pave 24 (which I'll switch out for 27's) on CK R45 hubs on eBay for $440. Makes me feel a little bit better about missing out on those R45's and ambrosio's.

I'm the one who bought those R45/ambrosio's :)

Good choice of wheels. See you on the pave.

radsmd
12-28-2014, 09:25 PM
double tap.

radsmd
12-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm the one who bought those R45/ambrosio's :)

Good choice of wheels. See you on the pave.

I know. Happy for you😃 but sad for me😞.

Now we are both happy. :beer::beer::beer:

radsmd
12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Great choice. If I were you I would also make sure a local wrench with plenty of wheel experience gives them a good once-over for spoke tensions etc since you are getting them from flea-bay.

Sage advice. Definitely planning on it.

Lionel
12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Looking at that chart I am guessing the value is in bar. Thor Hushovd at 6 ft. 180 pounds was running 75 -80 pounds front / rear. Interesting.

Yes it is in bar. At 185 myself I found 5 bar to be still quite a bit in a 27 FMB. I am slighly slower than Thor though :)

Lionel
12-29-2014, 01:13 AM

That's a good choice. Alum tubular is the way to go. I think the Hed will be slighly stiffer than the Ambrosio but you should be good to go.

Last time I did it I brought a spare tubular and a pitt stop can.

See you there !