PDA

View Full Version : Spoke suggestions: Type & from where?

makoti
12-24-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm going to need spokes.
Going to be building a set of Pacenti's, 32 hole. Likely do 2x f/r. Campy chorus front, Powertap rear. Training wheels, for the most part.
I have a set of these, but 20/28 with Sapim CX-Rays & WI hubs. Built by Fairwheel. Love them but think those spokes will be overkill for this type of wheel. Thinking maybe the Lasers? Or Race? I usually build with DT, but have been impressed with the Sapims, so figured I'd use them. Any other suggestions?
And where to get them. Looks like it'll have to be online, unless the quote I got from my LBS is way, way off ($5-10 a spoke). Any one happy with someplace they use for this, where I can get the # I need & not a package of x?
I've always used alloy nipples. Should I go brass? Any does anyone know if my DT spoke wrench will work with these?
Thanky!

JAGI410
12-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Dan's Comp, a BMX shop, is the best place for Sapims, but they don't have the bladed spokes. Double butted are 40-50 cents each, including a brass nipple!

makoti
12-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Dan's Comp, a BMX shop, is the best place for Sapims, but they don't have the bladed spokes. Double butted are 40-50 cents each, including a brass nipple!

Checked it out, didn't see sapims.

choke
12-24-2014, 09:15 PM
http://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/group/BMX+Spokes.html

eddief
12-24-2014, 09:17 PM
buy spokes by the spoke.

dcgriz
12-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Going to be building a set of Pacenti's, 32 hole. Likely do 2x f/r. Campy chorus front, Powertap rear. Training wheels, for the most part.
I have a set of these, but 20/28 with Sapim CX-Rays & WI hubs. Built by Fairwheel. Love them but think those spokes will be overkill for this type of wheel. Thinking maybe the Lasers? Or Race? I usually build with DT, but have been impressed with the Sapims, so figured I'd use them. Any other suggestions?
And where to get them. Looks like it'll have to be online, unless the quote I got from my LBS is way, way off ($5-10 a spoke). Any one happy with someplace they use for this, where I can get the # I need & not a package of x?
I've always used alloy nipples. Should I go brass? Any does anyone know if my DT spoke wrench will work with these?
Thanky!

If you weigh less than 200 lbs I would use Lasers, if more than 200 lbs use Race for a 32h training wheel. Brass nipples.
A good source is the Bikehubstore.com. Order as many as you need.

Look585
12-24-2014, 09:19 PM
I had poor results from Dans Comp. They cut from blanks and the threads were very poorly formed. They did not respond to repeated requests for a return.

Ric Hertjberg at Wheel Fanatyc deals in Wheelsmith and does a much better job for about the same $$$.

oldpotatoe
12-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanky!

First, no reason to do 2 cross vs 3 cross. It saves the weight of about one spoke.

I'm not sure why you would want to save any wee bit of weight with these but sure, lasers front and left side rear, Sapim Race on right side rear and use brass nipps. Alloy nipps, like 2 cross vs 3 cross on a 32h training wheelset, does nothing but reduce long term reliability. I would not do Lasers all around on any wheelset unless the rider was in the buck-twenty-five, buck-fifty range. For a 195 pound guy? Nope, not this wheelbuilder.

Same spoke wrench, DT and Sapim for standard nipples.

makoti
12-25-2014, 09:30 AM
First, no reason to do 2 cross vs 3 cross. It saves the weight of about one spoke.

I'm not sure why you would want to save any wee bit of weight with these but sure, lasers front and left side rear, Sapim Race on right side rear and use brass nipps. Alloy nipps, like 2 cross vs 3 cross on a 32h training wheelset, does nothing but reduce long term reliability. I would not do Lasers all around on any wheelset unless the rider was in the buck-twenty-five, buck-fifty range. For a 195 pound guy? Nope, not this wheelbuilder.

Same spoke wrench, DT and Sapim for standard nipples.

Just what I'm used to building. Always did 2x. I weigh about 155-160. Hadn't thought about mixing Laser & Race. I've always used DT Revolutions, I think it was. Which one is closer to that, the Races?

oldpotatoe
12-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Just what I'm used to building. Always did 2x. I weigh about 155-160. Hadn't thought about mixing Laser & Race. I've always used DT Revolutions, I think it was. Which one is closer to that, the Races?

Laser->Revolutions Race->DT Comp. The only 2 cross, 32 wheel I have ever built was a Rohloff because of flange diameter. Maybe a Chub hub because of flange diameter... All else, 32/3cross, all else being equal, 3 cross is a stronger wheel, but your wheel.

dcgriz
12-25-2014, 12:43 PM

IMO, one usually mixes Lasers and Races to help the NDS spokes maintain their tension if the calculated NDS spoke tension is less than 55 kgf.
Other than that, Lasers will offer a few grams in savings and maybe be a bit more aero, neither of which should be important for what you are describing. All 32 Lasers, properly tensioned and stress relieved, will build a durable wheel for your weight. 3x lacing will give you a bit more torque than 2x. Being there, done that, over and over again. 32 Race will give you a laterally stiffer wheel, all else equal. A laterally stiffer wheel, maybe better for you if you rock the bike when climbing standing up or if you are able to put out the watts.
Lasers tend to twist easier than Race so repeated stress relief exercises throughout the built are paramount.
Just my $0.02, use as you find appropriate.

dvancleve
12-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Just as an additional data point, some of the Dans Comp spokes I have received were a bit roughly cut at the ends. The threads were otherwise okay and none have ever been unusable. Since nipples are included, and the will credit/substitute toward alloy if you prefer, they are the cheapest I have found. Pandora Wheels,also has good prices but nipples are not included.

Merry Christmas, Doug

I had poor results from Dans Comp. They cut from blanks and the threads were very poorly formed. They did not respond to repeated requests for a return.

Ric Hertjberg at Wheel Fanatyc deals in Wheelsmith and does a much better job for about the same $$$.