PDA

View Full Version : Campy and BB30A

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Thinking about getting a Cannondale Synapse 105 that would serve as a versatile and inexpensive travel bike. The issue is the 105 groupset and the BB30A bb. I'm sure functionally the 11spd 105 groupset works great, will be reliable, etc, but after test riding it a couple of times the light clickety clack shimano plastic feeling still annoys me. In the long run I'd like to switch this over to a campy build, however, that BB30A seems to be an issue. I suppose I could leave the FSA gossamer crank/bb in there, but how well would that really work with campy? I've never used a FSA crank but searches around here suggest I should pitch it into the Platte River ASAP. What are my other options for getting this frame to work with Campy? Hollowgram?

Thanks.

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 11:48 AM
You could keep the FSA or go with a holowgram.

I would buy a praxis ultra torque bb.

Wait, bb30a? Isn't that the new standard that only works with the FSA or hollowgram crank?

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 12:03 PM
You could keep the FSA or go with a holowgram.

I would buy a praxis ultra torque bb.

Wait, bb30a? Isn't that the new standard that only works with the FSA or hollowgram crank?

Yup....BB30 + 5mm extra width....:crap:

Any ideas how much a hollowgram setup would cost, BB + crankset? Guessing it might make this idea a non-starter, but....

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Well, here is some interesting info:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cannondale/bb30a-campy-313159.html

This thread confirms modified UT cups work. It looks like the campy over torque crabkset may work as well. As an interesting side note, this frame appears to be sold in Europe with an athena triple that looks to have a 30mm axle. What is Campagnolo hiding from us? Well, maybe it is just power torque.

You want the easy solution? Keep the FSA cranks and fit them with praxis rings. Most of the complaints seem to be with shift quality.

Ralph
12-23-2014, 02:32 PM
For a travel/training bike, I would just ride the bike as is. Put no money in it. It will last a long time. If you're just dying to buy something to put some money in, why not start with a different frame that takes the kind of parts you like.

velomonkey
12-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Yup....BB30 + 5mm extra width....:crap:

Any ideas how much a hollowgram setup would cost, BB + crankset? Guessing it might make this idea a non-starter, but....

I have a Hollowgram crank in 175mm 39x53 11 speed - It's been sitting in my basement for a year since I got the new SISL2 which, in my view, isn't an improvement as the Q factor changed.

If you're interested PM me - will let it go cheap.

hockeybike
12-23-2014, 03:19 PM
If it's a travel bike, an adapter like the praxis ultratorque one (or, better yet, a shimano one) makes a lot of sense, since it'll be easier to service on the go.

On the other hand if you go the adapter route, you'll spend a bunch of money in parts and labor you probably won't recover if you sell the bike, so it makes some sense to just go with a native bb30 crank that has a solid reputation and holds its resale value. Then, just set it and forget it. How often do you change out cranks/have issues with them? If the issue is a 'creak' or a 'rough bearing,' that's hardly something that'll stop you from doing a ride, especially after you've travelled.

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 03:29 PM
For a travel/training bike, I would just ride the bike as is. Put no money in it. It will last a long time. If you're just dying to buy something to put some money in, why not start with a different frame that takes the kind of parts you like.

Yes the plan would be to ride it around for a while as is. But campy is just more fun for me. So I want to make sure that I have the option to convert over if after some time riding my thumbs atrophy from not having anything to do and I horribly miss the nice thunk of campy mechanical shifting.

This bike ticks off a lot of boxes for me - inexpensive, can take 28mm tires, higher trail which I think i like, supposedly tough carbon, etc....but why would they invent a new bb standard just for one model? The evo's still use regular bb30 :mad:

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 03:31 PM
I have a Hollowgram crank in 175mm 39x53 11 speed - It's been sitting in my basement for a year since I got the new SISL2 which, in my view, isn't an improvement as the Q factor changed.

If you're interested PM me - will let it go cheap.

Appreciate the offer very much, but unfortunately they're too long and I'm staying with compact, to reach velotel-esque destinations :)

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 03:33 PM
If it's a travel bike, an adapter like the praxis ultratorque one (or, better yet, a shimano one) makes a lot of sense, since it'll be easier to service on the go.

On the other hand if you go the adapter route, you'll spend a bunch of money in parts and labor you probably won't recover if you sell the bike, so it makes some sense to just go with a native bb30 crank that has a solid reputation and holds its resale value. Then, just set it and forget it. How often do you change out cranks/have issues with them? If the issue is a 'creak' or a 'rough bearing,' that's hardly something that'll stop you from doing a ride, especially after you've travelled.

thanks, don't think these will work with BB30A, which is currently unique to the 2014-up Synapses. Reading online that the FSA bb's last on the order of months?? ···...

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 03:47 PM
thanks, don't think these will work with BB30A, which is currently unique to the 2014-up Synapses. Reading online that the FSA bb's last on the order of months?? ···...

Does the bike in question even have FSA bearings? If so, just replace them with a quality set when they start to go. Praxis rings should make them shift well.

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Does the bike in question even have FSA bearings? If so, just replace them with a quality set when they start to go. Praxis rings should make them shift well.

Yes, all Synapse carbon models come with FSA BB30A bottom brackets. I see I could get a wheels mfg adapter for Shimano/SRAM. And then the praxis rings...how well do those work in a campy drivetrain in the real world?

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 04:29 PM
I've heard praxis rings work great with campy.

Davist
12-23-2014, 05:14 PM
For less $$ the CAAD 10 will take 28+ tires, has standard BB30 and comes with even lower level gruppos if you're just going to throw them away after a while. Not as much difference in positioning between the Synapse and the CAAD as the marketing dept would have you believe as well.

hockeybike
12-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Another option if you want Synapse type geometry is to look at CAAD10 Womens' models. They top out at a 54.5 tt in the 56 (though I'm not sure all years have a 56) or a 53.5 tt in the 54, but they more or less emulate the synapse geo. Taller ht, shorter tt. They had the same angles as CAAD10s up until 2012 or so, but if you want the slack head tube angle of the synapse, then the 2013 and 2014 models will set you up just right.

Oh, they have regular BB30, too, and generally cost about the same as a caad10.

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 05:38 PM
cannondale is using 3 differnt bottom brackets on their road line. Four if there is still a bsa offering. Crazy.

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 09:52 PM
appreciate all the input, esp the out-of-box advice regarding the men's or women's CAAD10. The CAAD's are inexpensive but I'm not sure I like the idea of a thin-walled aluminum frame for travel. At least c-dale claims that the ballistec resin they use is resistant to impacts. But who knows right?

Some updates....praxis rings work on the 5-arm crank designs from Shimano, and the current stuff is 4-arm and not compatible. Boogers. I'm guessing this will change in a few years and they will be compatible. Another option are the dutch ceramic bearing guys, C-bear and Kogel bearings, who've apparently made it their mission to provide a adapter-less bearing for every bb standard. Seen some mentions for c-bear here but kogel is pretty new. Any general feedback on the general downfalls of ceramic bearings or either of these producers is welcome...

And the lbs offered the hollowgram si for $560. Nice but still can't fathom paying that much for a freaking crank esp since i don't ever buy top-o-the-line stuff. More into bang/buck.

thirdgenbird
12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm still voting the stock FSA arms with good bb30 bearings and praxis rings.

If you go to the work to put a shimano crank on it, leave the Shimano rings. They would work splendid with campy.

MadRocketSci
12-23-2014, 11:35 PM
as far as i know you can only use bb30 bearings with hollowgram bb30a cranks that have the 5mm longer axle. FSA has a bb30a specific bb (as described on the cdale web page) and crankset but maybe i'm misreading that and it's just a set of bb30 bearings.

Anarchist
12-23-2014, 11:41 PM
My commute bike is Campy 10 speed with an FSA crank and BB.

It has been that way for 5 years. It works flawlessly and has since day 1.

I replace the BB each spring after a winter of muck but that is more me than any comment on the parts or compatibility.

Anarchist
12-23-2014, 11:43 PM
cannondale is using 3 differnt bottom brackets on their road line. Four if there is still a bsa offering. Crazy.

This is why I will never again buy a bike from a bike store.

If I phone a frame builder I can get a threaded BB shell.

kramnnim
12-23-2014, 11:54 PM
I don't understand why BB30a has to exist...

Hollowgram SL arms and an SiSL2 spindle would work and not cost a whole lot.

thirdgenbird
12-24-2014, 12:34 AM
as far as i know you can only use bb30 bearings with hollowgram bb30a cranks that have the 5mm shorter axle. FSA has a bb30a specific bb (as described on the cdale web page) and crankset but maybe i'm misreading that and it's just a set of bb30 bearings.

I am pretty sure bb30a only changes the position of the bearing, not the bearings themselves. I could be wrong, but I think any bb30 bearings fit. With bb30, the two bearings are independant. It is the frame shell that controls width. You are only limmited to the cranks. It has to be a crankset that has spacers that can be removed to accommodate the wider shell.

Edit:
Wheels manufacturing lists them as standard 6806 bearings. You should have no problems running any quality 6806 bearing with the FSA crank. They are the same as bb30.