PDA

View Full Version : what is a 10mm quick release?

d_douglas
12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
In the spirit of all things mountain bike, I have a question for you:

What is a 10mm QR? Can it work with a standard 135mm QR? I have a set of XTR M960 wheels that I love and am eyeing up a frame with a 10mm QR.

As far as I know, the hub cannot be adapted. Can the frame be adapted to allow for these two things to work properly together??

Thanks for your feedback

vqdriver
12-23-2014, 11:50 AM
i thought 10mm is standard 135 qr
one refers to spacing, the other is diameter

d_douglas
12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
No, from what I see, it is an oversized QR that has a 10mm axle. It is not a thru-axle though, like most modern MTBs have - it's a hybrid (that is likely now obsolete).

I am really wondering if I can salvage my nice wheels and use them on this bike, or if I need to buy new wheels. With money as no object, I would like some Hope thru-axle hubs, but alas, I don't think that is in the cards at the moment.

Also, to Salsa Spearfish folks, do any of these frames come with a standard old school 5mm quick release dropout? As in, 20 year old technology?

oldpotatoe
12-23-2014, 11:56 AM
In the spirit of all things mountain bike, I have a question for you:

What is a 10mm QR? Can it work with a standard 135mm QR? I have a set of XTR M960 wheels that I love and am eyeing up a frame with a 10mm QR.

As far as I know, the hub cannot be adapted. Can the frame be adapted to allow for these two things to work properly together??

Thanks for your feedback

Standard rear axle diameter is 10mm, front is 9mm. Both with QRs.

Mark McM
12-23-2014, 11:59 AM
That sounds like a skraxle (combination skewer & axle) dimension. Rather than using a hollow axle with a skewer that passes through it, a skraxle replaces the entire axle (the bearings ride directly on the skraxle). A skraxle provides a stiffer connection between the wheel and dropout, so it can stiffen up a suspension fork/rear triangle.

If a bike can use a standard QR hub (of any width), than it can use a hub with a skraxle.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/specialized/598544d1298224165-os-28-front-hub-standard-fork-compatibility-zzz%40%40-.jpg

d_douglas
12-23-2014, 12:05 PM
OK, so this is good news? I am confused.

See the orange frame in this link? Can I use my standard old QR skewers and M965 Centrelock hob with no problem on this frame? The dropout slot looks bigger than on my road bike, for example. Yes, 135mm is confirmed, I am just wanting to know if the diameter of the axle or type of hub is compatible with this frame with no 'impossible to find' or useless adaptors.

Scroll down a bit - there's a clear image of the dropout for the orange bike.

http://salsacycles.com/culture/2012_spearfish_lineup

vqdriver
12-23-2014, 12:05 PM
what i'm referring to is the dropout opening. if the opening is 10mm and the rear spacing is 135mm between them, then it can take a "standard" qr or a thru bolt. regardless of what the previous owner was using, if the dropout opening is 10mm and spacing is 135mm, you can use a regular old qr wheel.

check out my ghetto drawing.

vqdriver
12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
looks like we posted simultaneously. if it's that salsa, i'd just give em a ring. i've spoken to them on the phone before, easy to get a hold of a real person and he was super helpful. but just looking at that picture, i'd say it'll work fine.

d_douglas
12-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Hmmm. that's good news. I am still wondering about sizing and am tending to think the XL is too big. I am literally in the middle btw L and XL and am now thinking I will hold out for the Large frame. Sooo close, but I think smaller is better than too large.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look for this model in a LARGE from now on.

tmf
12-23-2014, 01:47 PM
For mountain bikes, personally I would agree with sizing down if you're in the middle between two sizes. I like my MTB frames to be smaller if the fit is workable.

d_douglas
12-23-2014, 01:55 PM
For mountain bikes, personally I would agree with sizing down if you're in the middle between two sizes. I like my MTB frames to be smaller if the fit is workable.

Yes, the fit is OK for either. I feel like using a 110mm stem is out of vogue these days, but what the hell, if it fits, it fits. I would probably size down to an 90-100mm stem, but I use a 110mm stem now, which gets stern looks on the trail ;)

I will readvertise for an L Spearfish in the New Year . . . . .