PDA

View Full Version : What 2000 calories looks like

bcroslin
12-23-2014, 10:12 AM
The NYT shows what you can eat (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/22/upshot/what-2000-calories-looks-like.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below&_r=1&abt=0002) after a brisk 50 mile ride. Scary to think many Americans are eating 3 meals a day of these portions without doing anything in the way of physical activity. No wonder more than 1/3 of Americans are obese.

mktng
12-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Dont forget the Canadians !

Alot of people everywhere are guilty of this. I have some friends who steer clear of all junk food, they never break. I admire people like that. Im weak. I just ride or run more to make up for the crap I eat from time to time.

That whopper is looking mighty fine though :help:

thwart
12-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Writers, nutritionists, doctors, chefs and Michelle Obama have all been promoting a hot new diet: home-cooked food. “People who cook eat a healthier diet without giving it a thought,” Michael Pollan recently told Mark Bittman, both authors and advocates of the cook-it-yourself diet. “It’s the collapse of home cooking that led directly to the obesity epidemic.”
Word.

MattTuck
12-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Those pictures are meant to be provocative.

You can eat a reasonably sized piece of steak, side of potatoes and vegetables and a glass of red wine for under 800 calories.

jmoore
12-23-2014, 12:08 PM
That bone-in ribeye and red wine from Ruths Chris looks like the perfect meal to me.

The rest of that fast food mess, no thanks. Ugh.

alexstar
12-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Agree, I'll take the martini and steak, thanks. The rest... :eek:

articles and slideshows like this make me want to go for a long ride. I feel unhealthy just looking at some of those pictures.

BSUdude
12-23-2014, 01:09 PM
What you have to consider here is that if you burn 2000 calories riding 50 miles, you can eat those 2000 calories, plus your daily allowance of +/- 2000 calories. So imagine eating any one of those things pictured in the article, and then what you would normally eat in a day. Seems more substantial now.

crownjewelwl
12-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Those pictures are meant to be provocative.

You can eat a reasonably sized piece of steak, side of potatoes and vegetables and a glass of red wine for under 800 calories.

moreover all calories arent created equal

i could eat that ruth's chris steak and a glass of wine and i would weigh less in the morning after a big ride...

that sonic shake not so much...

verticaldoug
12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
European Court of Justice recently ruled that Obesity can be considered a disability. Why are you making fun of the disabled? :bike:

So.... If you work at McDonald's and eat at McDonald's, you will probably become obese.
Once you are obese, you can claim disability. Since it happened on the job.......
This is going to be great

Steve in SLO
12-23-2014, 03:34 PM

boconnor811
12-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Ah, so this is what I've been doing wrong:confused:

josephr
12-23-2014, 07:06 PM
I think its interesting that they chose to show the high-fat content items like shakes and guacamole and contrast it with the biggest cut of steak. A leaner,smaller cut like a filet mignon is packed with protein and can easily cut out sodas and shakes by moving to water.

My brother has recently decided be to 'vegetarian' -- he eats rice and beans or oven-baked fries during the week. His starch/carb intake is out the roof and now he's really starting to pack on the pounds. Its easy to blame the occasional greasy cheeseburger, but, IMHO, the real enemy is the heavy starches and excessive dietary sugars.