PDA

View Full Version : Which Method for Determining MaxHR on Spin Bike

Splash
12-23-2014, 04:34 AM
I understand there are different ways to perform this task, but what is the best way for spin bikes?

I will be wearing my Scosche RHYTHM+ Heart Rate Monitor and open to suggestions about what app to use for my iphone 6.

THoughts and recommendations?

Spalsh

shovelhd
12-23-2014, 05:14 AM
Why are you trying to determine maxHR? It's an almost meaningless number. If you are trying to set training zones, you should be using LTHR. There are a number of ways to test LTHR, from a five minute MAP test to an hour time trial.

Splash
12-23-2014, 05:29 AM
Thanks Shovelhd.

Can you provide the links you would recommend to determine LTHR ?

There are so many out there - I would like your opinion on selecting the right method.

Splash

Splash
12-23-2014, 05:57 AM
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/04/determining-your-lthr/comments/page/1/#comments

I'll tap into Mr Friel for this one...

Question though - On my Wahoo Fitness Tracker App - I only see 6 x HR zones to edit.

Joel Friel has nominated 7 LTHR zones. Which zone do I remove to accommodate the 6 zones in Wahoo?

Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Zone 1 perhaps??

SPlash

shovelhd
12-23-2014, 07:00 AM
No. Zone 1 is critically important as it is the recovery zone. You need to understand the top of that zone as it is the limit of effort for a recovery workout. The biggest mistake that newbies make is not getting enough proper recovery. Remember you get your gains from rest after stress, not from the stress alone.

Just put all of the zone 5 stuff together. If you're doing it right you're not going to notice.

Splash
12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
thanks a lot!

Just on the range gaps - is is better to always aim for the middle of each zone gap?

i.e, zone 4 is 94% to 99% of LTHR - should i always aim for 96.5 ish%

I also notice these zones are very tight with short intervals (in gaps between lower and upper within) - when compared to other zone technique theories/recommendations..

How hard is it to hold steady effort in these tight zones ?

Splash

jlwdm
12-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Splash, it is not that easy, although it is easier on a spin bike because you do not have the constant changes in conditions you have on the road.

As Shovelhd said the lower zones are really important. Many riders have trouble riding at lower heart,zones on rest days. That is why heart rate zone training really requires riding alone.

Jeff

happycampyer
12-23-2014, 07:43 AM
[oops, wrong thread—my post was meant for the blood-lactate thread]

Splash
12-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys.

SPlash

shovelhd
12-23-2014, 12:03 PM
thanks a lot!

Just on the range gaps - is is better to always aim for the middle of each zone gap?

i.e, zone 4 is 94% to 99% of LTHR - should i always aim for 96.5 ish%

I also notice these zones are very tight with short intervals (in gaps between lower and upper within) - when compared to other zone technique theories/recommendations..

How hard is it to hold steady effort in these tight zones ?

Splash

It depends on many things. Believe me if I'm going flat out I don't give a rat's ass if I'm at 98% or 99% I just want to die so it's over with. For anything under the max zones I shoot for the top if I'm feeling good or the minimum if I'm not or if there is hard work ahead.

Keep in mind that if you are completing all of your intervals successfully then you're not training at the optimum level. Failure is part of interval training.

Splash
12-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks Shovelhd.

On the interval stuff - I understand that HR training comprimises my ability to effectively train intervals due to lag time of heart rate recording, etc. upon entering and exiting those particular zones.

But, without a power meter - what steps would i take to maximise effective interval training with a HR monitor?

Splash

HenryA
12-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Have you measured your max HR any other way? If so, what is it? It's gonna be the same no matter how you measure. (Within a few beats)

Climb01742
12-24-2014, 09:44 AM
It's easy to get caught up in the complexities and details of a training program, and for certain goals, all that is necessary. But for many goals it isn't. You can improve quite a bit with a few simple guidelines.

1. When you go hard, go f'ing hard.
2. When you go easy, go f'ing easy, far easier than you might think.
3. Consistency of 3 increasingly hard weeks, then a rest week, built and repeated over time trumps just about any details.
4. Find a long really really hard climb and climb it as hard as you can on a day you feel rested. That will tell you your max heart rate.

I found simplicity helped me, letting me nail a few key things rather than getting lost in a million details. YRMV. Good luck.

Bruce K
12-24-2014, 11:22 AM
You've gotten lots of good advice

As an anecdotal example my theoretical Max is around 160-165 but when I do TT's and cyclicross I can see 175-183 in the last 5-10 minutes

It's been happening for years and recovers fairly quickly (115-130 after 3 minutes)

Bottom line is everyone is different

BK

zap
12-24-2014, 11:35 AM
I keep it simple.

Zone 1 I like to ride the mtb bike….low enough gears to go up some minor hills.
Zone 2-5 goofing around on club/team rides.
Zone I 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Last set……wanna call the emt's…..

After many many years of training and racing, I don't need a heart rate monitor.

It's been years since I tested max heart rate. As others noted, it's not important. I did it because I wanted to know. It's not easy. Hammering up a hill 'til I die leaves me about 5 beats short of my max. Need to unload the muscles some and spin fairly hard but faster than I normally would.

54ny77
12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
If you barf.

Then you'll know.

Splash
12-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys - all advice is appreciated and very valuable.

without diving in too much deeper into this (and I know some of you will think - 'JUST RIDE GOD DAMN IT!' - and that's OK), I would like to know what time delay exists between when you step up pace and when the corresponding new HR registers on the HRM? Is this time lag the same value in all of us?

BTW - MERRY XMAS team!

Splash

Joachim
12-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys - all advice is appreciated and very valuable.

without diving in too much deeper into this (and I know some of you will think - 'JUST RIDE GOD DAMN IT!' - and that's OK), I would like to know what time delay exists between when you step up pace and when the corresponding new HR registers on the HRM? Is this time lag the same value in all of us?

BTW - MERRY XMAS team!

Splash

No, it's not the same. Furthermore, it can differ day by day in the same person. There is not a set value for HR responsiveness. Now go ride or even better, get a coach.

Splash
12-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks Joachim :-)

:banana:

Merry XMAS buddy.

Splash

jimoots
12-26-2014, 04:34 AM
I once read that the only way to find an athletes true maximum HR was to sit them on a bike, point a gun at their head and tell them to ride their heart out with the threat that if they do not max their HR, you'll pull the trigger.

You should be able to discover your max HR on a balls to the wall 10 minute effort with the last minute incorporating a sprint of some sort.

Splash
12-26-2014, 04:55 AM
I once read that the only way to find an athletes true maximum HR was to sit them on a bike, point a gun at their head and tell them to ride their heart out with the threat that if they do not max their HR, you'll pull the trigger...

I can think if a few countries that would actually enforce and carry this out too...

Splash

shovelhd
12-26-2014, 06:00 AM
I once read that the only way to find an athletes true maximum HR was to sit them on a bike, point a gun at their head and tell them to ride their heart out with the threat that if they do not max their HR, you'll pull the trigger.

You should be able to discover your max HR on a balls to the wall 10 minute effort with the last minute incorporating a sprint of some sort.

I have never hit my maxHR In training.

Climb01742
12-26-2014, 07:36 AM
I hit my max HR on Mt Washington, higher than any test I ever did. Hardest terrain I ever rode certainly but I think competition makes us dig deeper and adrenaline/nerves make our hearts work harder. Think that last factor is difference between test rate and competition rate?

shovelhd
12-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Plenty of guys I race with and against hit max efforts in training. I'm just not one of them.

Tandem Rider
12-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Personally, I can always go deeper in a race. Mrs TR claims I would turn myself inside out during a race.

I've seen 196bpm in a race, I can't hardly break 170 in training. That being said, Max HR is a meaningless number. It has a "gee whiz" factor with it, gives Spin "instructors" something to talk about, but doesn't matter in riding a bike fast.

Comparing max heart rates is kinda like comparing shoe sizes to determine fitness.