PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cocker RIP

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-22-2014, 01:08 PM
http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/274122/speedreads-blues-singer-joe-cocker-dies-at-70

Rebel_Biker
12-22-2014, 01:36 PM
http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/274122/speedreads-blues-singer-joe-cocker-dies-at-70

Always enjoyed his music, and especially his performance at Woodstock. I am shocked he was only 25 at woodstock.

Cicli
12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Just saw this. Bummer. He was an artist.

OtayBW
12-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Aw geez.....RIP Joe.
You were great.

enr1co
12-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Always enjoyed his music, and especially his performance at Woodstock. I am shocked he was only 25 at woodstock.

Great talent and unique voice. Feelin' Alright is on my favorite songs.

Also thought he was older just "70"- dang, just a pup.:(

RIP Joe and thanks for the music.

numbskull
12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Feelin' Alright is on my favorite songs.

Mine as well. Great song, great artist, someone who has enriched our lives.

Anarchist
12-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Last time I saw him, he was opening for Burton Cummings and Randy Bachmann.

Put on a hell of a show, then came out and did about half the show with Cummings and Bachmann.

pbarry
12-22-2014, 07:26 PM
^^ Trio of three amazing headliners. Crazy. How was the show? All on my top ten missed-live-list..

Bob Ross
12-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Great song, great artist, someone who has enriched our lives.

It's funny, especially for someone who made their living as a musician for several decades and still considers himself a Rock'n'Roller at heart...but I don't actually like any of Cocker's songs, nor do I consider him a "great artist" ...and yet I agree completely: He was someone who enriched our lives.

I think in some ways that's what made rock music so powerful: You didn't have to be great to be stellar. Desire, commitment, heart, those were all palpable and valuable...and Cocker had those in spades. RIP.

don compton
12-22-2014, 10:21 PM
It's funny, especially for someone who made their living as a musician for several decades and still considers himself a Rock'n'Roller at heart...but I don't actually like any of Cocker's songs, nor do I consider him a "great artist" ...and yet I agree completely: He was someone who enriched our lives.

I think in some ways that's what made rock music so powerful: You didn't have to be great to be stellar. Desire, commitment, heart, those were all palpable and valuable...and Cocker had those in spades. RIP.
Sour grapes?

thwart
12-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Sour grapes?
I didn't read it that way at all...

jghall
12-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Sour grapes?

Nor did I. Like many things in life, everyone is their own movie critic. "Great", imagine some believe so, others maybe not. Same could be said about whether Bon Jovi has any talent. Springsteen has a decent voice. Etc.

Always been kind of partial to "You Are So Beautiful". Regardless, RIP JC .

mike p
12-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Joe C like Van Morrison didn't have the great classic R&R voice but as Bob noted he had tons of heart, soul, determination, and character. Unlike Van M most of Joe C's popular tunes were covers of the Beatles or other groups, but I'd rather listen to Cocker's version of "little help from my friends" or his rendition of Randy Newmans "you can leave your hat on" any day over the originals. He's an all time great and will be dearly missed.

Mike

malcolm
12-23-2014, 09:07 AM
First off I love Joe Cocker, RIP.
Musicians and singers are difficult to define. If you just look at ability you can find a killer guitarist on almost any corner, but few of them become famous. I'm sure it's the same with other instruments and singers. Lots of folks can really wail but never become famous. There is something beyond the mechanics, style, heart, soul or something that makes the ones we like stand out. Cocker has some of all of it. If you saw him live and weren't moved you must have been dead.

William
12-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Rest in peace Joe.

....and especially his performance at Woodstock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR-H2uFCQls

William

Anarchist
12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
^^ Trio of three amazing headliners. Crazy. How was the show? All on my top ten missed-live-list..

It was a great show really. To the best of my recollection it wasn't really advertised much, certainly not as what it turned out to be.

Found out about it by word of mouth and got tickets and it was really different. Cocker did his show, lit the place up and then they reset the stage with two stools centre stage and a bunch of guitars and flutes set up nearby. Cummings and Bachmann came out, sat down and started in. More like a jam session than anything, they sort of played whatever came to mind and they would often tail off in the middle of a. Piece right into something else.

They seemed to be having fun after all they years of tension and then Cocker came out, they set up another stool and started in again.

Went for close to 3 hours. Often wished I had a recording of it because it was unique.

wpod
12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Just caught a view of him playing at Woodstock. Lot's of soul for a white guy...

RIP Joe

Dave Ferris
12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Have friends that made several tours with him. They said he "went for it" every night, never held back. Keeping with the typical RnR lifestyle of that era, he also liked to live the life.

When I was a teen, I spent many an hour trying to pick off Leon Russell licks on my Mom's mono GE record player on JC classic tracks like - "The Letter", "Feelin' Alright", "Cry me a river", "She came in through the bathroom window", "Delta Lady".

Basically soaked up everything he did with Leon Russell and Mad Dogs & Englishmen. HUGE influence were those records. They laid the ground work for me.

Sad news indeed. But considering his lifestyle, 70 is actually pretty damn good. He had a heck of a run.

RIP Joe. :-(

Dave Ferris
12-23-2014, 01:02 PM
What a wonderful period in time for music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNJj6MsGfI

I remember thinking when I was a kid, picking LR's licks off this...how could anyone play in Bbm ?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw9xg-qfwIE

seleniak
12-23-2014, 05:50 PM
RIP Joe. Loved everything he did with Leon Russell and Mad Dogs & Englishmen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk