PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Fit Gurus - Help Me!

ariw
12-22-2014, 10:43 AM
So the wonderful wife bought me bibs and a jersey for Chanukkah, and as a Rapha virgin, I need a little help. First off, the bibs are the Classic, considering that I live in sunny Florida, should I go for the lightweights? FWIW, I wear out bib shorts on the inside of the thighs from rubbing, so not sure if a thinner fabric is the best idea. Secondly, the jersey is a L pro team, which feels painted on, and even a size or two bigger might not fit. I usually wear an XL jersey, but I thought that she was only getting me the bibs when she asked for a size. I am 5'8", 178 or so, and while not a bodybuilder, have a little muscle in the arms, shoulders, etc...

What should a lucky guy do?

TIA,
-Ari

miguel
12-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Rapha has free returns

ariw
12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, but what to exchange for? I see that their jerseys have different fits, just trying to find a recommendation.

-Ari

FlashUNC
12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I never found the classics too heavy in hot weather, even in North Carolina summers.

Their sizing guide on their site is pretty spot on for their jerseys, imo. Their pro team stuff is tight, the club and classic stuff a bit looser in fit.

And yes, free returns.

druptight
12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm roughly the same size as you - an inch taller and 5-7 lbs heavier. I've never worn the pro team stuff, but I've had good luck with size L in the club cut jerseys (the classic merino blend stuff). Not too tight, not too lose.

tv_vt
12-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Keep the classic shorts and get a classic jersey. Or lightweight shorts. Both are nice. Maybe you need to consider a new saddle if you're always wearing out inner leg of shorts.

Classic jersey won't be great for hottest days, although they are full zip. But for 3/4 of the year, should be nice for you. Get a Large size - they do fit looser that pro team jersey. I wear an XL and I'm 6'2" and weigh the same as you. Think it would be too big for you.

pdmtong
12-22-2014, 11:57 AM
The lw bibs are nice but they will wear more quickly than the classics because there is simply less less material. The classics have never been too hot into the high 80s (I dont ride in the 90s) and wear forever (FWIW I had 500 days on a pair and they looked only slightly worn and pad still great). Also note we do not have humidity. The LW were designed with places in Asia in mind like Taiwan....hot AND humid.

I live in the Bay Area and only wear classic/club jersey weight early spring and late fall Otherwise too hot. I am 5'10 170 and wear a pro team xl. I can wear a large PT but the painted on feeling is too snug for me in the armpit shoulder area after a few hours. I wanted an 8 hour jersey so sized up. It's not overly baggy in the body or gut. I also favor the SLW but can fit that in a L...the XL is too baggy. I am a L in clsssic/club/lightweight and long sleeve.

their sizing is not consistent, so you may have to try and then decide.

IMHO the pro team is the best jersey they make

joep2517
12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I wear both the LW and the classic bibs and they both work nicely and I live in Central Florida. For the jersey - I'd go either super lightweight or pro team. I tried the LW jersey and it felt like a Road Holland jersey. That's not a bad thing it just felt like a heavier material.

bcroslin
12-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I live in FL and I'd recommend the Rapha light weight bibs. They're super comfy and thin enough to handle Aug temps while not being too thin that you can't wear them during the warmer days of winter.

The nice thing about Rapha stuff is that if you wear a hole in the the bibs you can send them back and they repair them for free.

As for size - I'm 5'11" and 165 and take a medium Rapha jersey. Seems like a large would be the right fit for you. The Pro Team jersey is supposed to feel painted on. If you like something a little more roomier you might want to exchange it for a classic jersey. The classic isn't anywhere near as tight as the PTJ.

jlwdm
12-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I live in TX and don't think you need the lightweight bibs.

Jeff

bcroslin
12-22-2014, 01:42 PM
I live in TX and don't think you need the lightweight bibs.

Jeff

Average daily humidity in Dallas: 65%

Average daily humidity in Tampa: 74%

Those light weight bibs come in handy in FL :)

chasea
12-22-2014, 02:19 PM
The Pro Tem Jersey should fit like it's painted on. That's how it is designed; form fitting and short, so it doesn't bunch up when on the bike. I don't recommend sizing up in that jersey, as an oversize fit in any lightweight material will sag if you load up the pockets.

The Super Lightweight jerseys, while in the Classic line, fit closer to the Pro Team stuff. If you don't like the fit of Pro Team or Super Lightweight, and you live in Florida, you should wait for the Lightweight jerseys to be released in the spring. They're a bit longer than Pro Team, but thinner than the Classic.

Hope this helps.

rando
12-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Keep the bibs if they fit. The overwhelming problem with going the thinner bibs route is many companies make them so thin the entire back side is sheer. Stay classy and keep pat on the classics.

The PT jersey doesn't sound like your bag. The new Spring/Summer line won't be out for quite some time after you should reasonably have returned it. Chances are if you live in FL you think a 90 degree day is just about perfect so a slightly warmer merino jersey could be fine for that or cooler. The new SKY tricolor jersey should fit you fine for example.

velomonkey
12-22-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm 6'3" 207 and and the XL classic is a bit too tight in the shoulders and chest, but for sure doable. Where it falls apart is in the stomach and waist. The whole d thing does not work. I sinch it way, way down and it just is excess - as in a lot of excess. For that cash I get way better fit in other brands.

I did get the summer super lightweight or whatever it's called. Full zip, no sinch thing, but the runner could be a bit more, but it works.

Lovetoclimb
12-23-2014, 10:19 AM
The Pro Tem Jersey should fit like it's painted on. That's how it is designed; form fitting and short, so it doesn't bunch up when on the bike. I don't recommend sizing up in that jersey, as an oversize fit in any lightweight material will sag if you load up the pockets.

The Super Lightweight jerseys, while in the Classic line, fit closer to the Pro Team stuff. If you don't like the fit of Pro Team or Super Lightweight, and you live in Florida, you should wait for the Lightweight jerseys to be released in the spring. They're a bit longer than Pro Team, but thinner than the Classic.

Hope this helps.

Sums it up well regarding the jerseys Having owned many of the styles, I found myself sort of in between in the pro team jersey and thus did not like it because it was too loose in certain areas including the arms, shoulders, and back pockets.

Regarding the bibs, consider the pro team version as they have a treatment to the material that supposedly cools your skin in hot weather. It is almost what I ride exclusively and I notice a huge difference from the classic bibs even in WNC where we do not get terribly hot and humid weather.

Regarding sizing, it is very hard to do better than what the Rapha site has on it measurement wise. Failing that I would recommend ordering 2 sizes of whatever you are interested in. Their returns process is still a bit slow sometimes when sales or new product launches happen but still usually cycles through within 2-3 weeks.

jlwdm
12-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Average daily humidity in Dallas: 65%

Average daily humidity in Tampa: 74%

Those light weight bibs come in handy in FL :)

The Rapha Classic bibs are the thinnest bibs I have. I can't imagine using thinner bibs.

Jeff

ariw
01-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I sent back the jersey and shorts, and ordered a larger Pro team jersey and the lightweight bibs. We will end up saving a bit also because my wife bought before the sale started.

Happy New Year,
-Ari