PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite upgrade lost Ascent history and access

Hank Scorpio
12-21-2014, 08:48 PM
So I got an Apple TV this weekend and my MacBook was running a pre Mavericks OS so I had to upgrade to Yosemite to get AirPlay on my Mac. Well in doing so I lost all access to ascent and it is now telling me that I only have a 10 activity trial version and to put in my activation key and password. Of course I should have them but that was over four years ago and now I can't find them anywhere. I have emailed ascent but the software isn't being developed anymore and I am not sure that it is even supported either. So a word of caution to those thinking of upgrading to Yosemite,you may lose ascent access and any related data in the process. I lost four years as of the moment.

I did the apple chat and they said that they can return me to my old OS but there is no guarantee that I will regain access and I will only have my files up to my last saved disk image which was about two months ago.

Hopefully I get some better news from ascent this week.

Anarchist
12-22-2014, 09:55 AM
This happened to me on an earlier version upgrade, I think possibly the one before Mavericks.

Your history is still there, you just need the reg'n code. There is news you didn't know (?!).

A couple of things, I found that the forum on the Montebello Software site is still used and monitored. So take a look there and post a question there.

I also did a search of my entire email database and was able to find my reg'n code in there. I am going from memory but i think the Ascent sale was handled through a service called Kaji (sp?) so try that as a search term.

When you find it, save the email as a text document in your documents folder, I learned that the hard way.

Good luck.

Edit: I went back to my laptop and looked it up, the store that sold you the package Is Kagi Store.kagi.com

So use Kagi as your search. I had forgotten that they started development of an iPhone app, looks like it was never finished. Too bad. I would gladly get rid of everything else cluttering up my phone to have that.

Hank Scorpio
12-22-2014, 10:42 AM
They actually responded this morning with the code. I better write it down as well as in my iPhone notes. I think you are correct about the history still being there but I can't access it when in the trial version. Let's see tonight. I may still pester apple to let me downgrade back to mavericks.

Anarchist
12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
FWIW is till use Ascent and use it under Yosemite. Works perfectly, no issues.

I don't use a Garmin anymore. Worked fine under Mavericks with the 500. I now use my phone and upload .tcx files to Ascent manually. Works fine.

kramnnim
12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
...am I the only one baffled by this thread? What is Ascent?

Anarchist
12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
...am I the only one baffled by this thread? What is Ascent?

Frankly, the best non cloud based activity logger ever made, and Mac only.

Montebellosoftware.com

Gsinill
12-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Semi off-topic but for future reference: why not take advantage of the simplicity of a Mac when it comes to backing up your data?

A 1TB USB3 external HDD costs around $70, Carbon Copy Cloner has an unlimited free trial mode and making a bootable backup doesn't take long.
Next time you perform an upgrade, run a backup and if anything misses, boot of the external drive and you are back to where you were before.

slidey
12-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Semi off-topic but for future reference: why not take advantage of the simplicity of a Mac when it comes to backing up your data?

A 1TB USB3 external HDD costs around $70, Carbon Copy Cloner has an unlimited free trial mode and making a bootable backup doesn't take long.
Next time you perform an upgrade, run a backup and if anything misses, boot of the external drive and you are back to where you were before.

Or, TimeMachine? (not tongue-in-cheek)

Hank Scorpio
12-22-2014, 11:39 AM
I actually have a 1Tb external hard drive that I use for backups but I hadn't done it in about a month or two. So I really didn't lose that much data but I don't know why it didn't import all my login info with the update.