PDA

View Full Version : Best (affordable) indoor trainer?

axel23
12-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Rain in Oregon shows no sign of letting up, so last minute Christmas present...

I'm looking for a smooth, quiet, and reliable indoor trainer. Rollers would be great, but my wife prefers more stability.

Anyway, your recommendations are welcome: fluid, mag, wind, pros and cons.

cash05458
12-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Kinetic road machine by Kurt...just fantastic and lifetime warranty and great company...you can even find one used for pretty reasonable...I have owned quite a few different trainers over the many years and the kinetic has been by far the very best...

don'TreadOnMe
12-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I'll second the Kurt recommendo, but will add:
You can spend 1/2 as much and get a good set of rollers, new.

Depends of how much coin you can part w/, and what you want to get out of indoor cycling training.

guido
12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
The Kinetic is a great trainer. Solid, reliable. Lets you focus on the important stuff...

shovelhd
12-21-2014, 10:02 AM
I paid $120 for my used KK trainer. It had the original J hook which stripped out. KK replaced it no questions asked. I use it year round for training and warmups before races.

makoti
12-21-2014, 10:15 AM
KK's are great. Not the cheapest new, but worth it.

dekindy
12-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Kurt Kinetic or Cyclops fluid trainers.

Cyclops or Sportscrafters(company that manufactures Cyclops rollers) rollers and add front fork stand for your wife; you can remove it for roller use.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Rain in Oregon shows no sign of letting up, so last minute Christmas present...

I'm looking for a smooth, quiet, and reliable indoor trainer. Rollers would be great, but my wife prefers more stability.

Anyway, your recommendations are welcome: fluid, mag, wind, pros and cons.

Has she used rollers? There are so many advantages and once back outside, your(her) cycling skills will have increased. Few things more mind numbing than trainer riding. Rollers help the time go more quickly and teach to ride smoothly and in a straight line. It's a skill most any 'serious' cyclist ought to have, IMHO.

Plus good ones are 't a ton of $.

ceolwulf
12-21-2014, 12:08 PM
If you want very cheap I'm much happier with my Ascent fluid trainer from Nashbar than I thought I would be. Well made, very smooth and quiet resistance unit. I think this is the cheapest fluid trainer on the market. Personally I would not get a mag or wind trainer, too noisy. Except I do want a Wahoo Kickr because fancy.

drsmile
12-21-2014, 12:18 PM
I have a fluid trainer and rollers. I try to ride neither, but I prefer the rollers over the trainer. Also, once you get used to rollers the trainer becomes more unbearable. Once you figure out how to ride out of the saddle and without hands on the rollers it becomes a little more relaxing, but I still far prefer riding outside, even in sub-freezing temperatures.

VTCaraco
12-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I did a Cyclops fluid trainer for a while before reaching the point where I would simply find different exercise for the winter months.
After back surgery this past winter, my rowing erg was no longer a possibility. We have a nice elliptical, but I wanted something to mix in with the elliptical.
After reading various comments here I jumped on a set of e-motion rollers. I've only used them for a month or so, but the concentration that is needed is the perfect distraction for me to make it more enjoyable.
I'm not sure that it will show up in a big way once spring comes, but I'm enjoying myself (as much as someone can enjoy themselves when exercising in the basement).:banana:

axel23
12-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I totally agree that rollers are best. Certainly my preference. I do like the idea of a front fork mount for her, especially if she feels it's too squirrelly otherwise.

Will see if there are any deals on the Kirk's.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I burned through 2 CycleOps before I went to KK, which is better in almost every way. You can usually find them used, and the resistance units are so solid there's less risk getting something second or third hand from KK than other brands.

Peter P.
12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Get a fluid or mag trainer as they are the quietest.

Kurt Kinetics are known for their patented, no-leak design.
I bought mine used on eBay for $165, shipping included.

I bought a Blackburn mag trainer w/flywheel for my sister, again on eBay, for $50, shipping included. I was amazed at how smooth, quiet, and stable it was while offering plenty of resistance. Considering retail pricing, the Blackburn would be a much better deal than the Kurt Kinetic while giving up little in the way of resistance or overall performance.

Use patience and go the eBay or Craigslist route. I had to lose 10 prior auctions before I won my Kurt Kinetic.

johnniecakes
12-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I have had a 1 UP USA for 5 years now and it is still working like new. I would recommend it to anyone. I use it 3 to 4 hours a week during the winter and then pack it away come March. It is very quite and clean.

www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

dem
12-21-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll second the 1up.. had one for a couple of years and the wife has spun probably a thousand miles on it.

axel23
12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
So what about tire wear? Wasn't an issue for me riding rollers, but do the trainers require a heavier tire? Will she wear out her Veloflex tires faster than on the road?

shovelhd
12-21-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a dedicated trainer wheel with a trainer specific tire, but I'm on it a lot. You can use road tires on them, but they may shed. When warming up for a race, I'm on the trainer with my race wheels and tubular tires. It's only for 20 minutes.

LJohnny
12-21-2014, 11:00 PM
I have 2 1up trainers. One is about 13 years old and the other one is around 4 y.o.. No complaints, and they are the quietest trainer if have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJohnny
12-21-2014, 11:04 PM
So what about tire wear? Wasn't an issue for me riding rollers, but do the trainers require a heavier tire? Will she wear out her Veloflex tires faster than on the road?

I would recommend a dedicated trainer wheel with a trainer-specific tire. Unless there is a trainer specific bike, that is, with the trainer specific tire. I definitely have experienced early demise of regular tires on the trainer.

zerocool5468
12-21-2014, 11:21 PM
a lemond if you can swing it.

wallymann
12-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Kinetic road machine by Kurt...just fantastic and lifetime warranty and great company...you can even find one used for pretty reasonable...I have owned quite a few different trainers over the many years and the kinetic has been by far the very best...

this.

katematt
12-22-2014, 08:15 AM
+1 on the one up. 10 years strong on mine. Made in the US and works great. Although I haven't needed it, I hear the CS is great as well.

I have had a 1 UP USA for 5 years now and it is still working like new. I would recommend it to anyone. I use it 3 to 4 hours a week during the winter and then pack it away come March. It is very quite and clean.

www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

weisan
12-22-2014, 08:31 AM
A lot of great recommendations. I will file it away for future reference...as and when i move away from Texas and needing a trainer...:rolleyes::p

jemoryl
12-22-2014, 10:29 AM
I would recommend a dedicated trainer wheel with a trainer-specific tire. Unless there is a trainer specific bike, that is, with the trainer specific tire. I definitely have experienced early demise of regular tires on the trainer.

Trainer specific tires may not be needed. I have an old Trek that I mostly used on a trainer (Nashbar Fluid, but clearly made by Elite - not a bad unit) with some cheapo $10 tires (Maxxis Detonator) and I can't wear the suckers out. I'm trying to ride outdoors year-round, so I haven't touched my trainer for a couple years.

dk2ck
01-17-2015, 04:17 AM
I hate to bring up an old post but I started shopping for a trainer recently. I was looking at the 1Up trainers because they are often described as the "quietest trainer" available, but a lot of these reviews are 4+ years old. Does the 1Up trainer still match up with the newer fluid models from other brands?

Peter P.
01-17-2015, 05:46 AM
I'm sure it does. As long as you're not using a WIND trainer, all the other designs are so close in noise level as to not bother comparing.

justinrchan
01-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Check out Cascade Bike Trainers. The fluid trainer is pretty quiet and the pricing is good. Owned by the folks who worrked with Lemond. PM me and I may be able to get you a deal as I know some folks there.

bcgav
01-17-2015, 09:22 AM
To echo others, Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Not the cheapest but best quality for the price.

Grinta13
01-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I have had great luck with the Tacx Flow models. I'm on my second one. I put 40K+ miles on the first and it's still working my wife wanted to use so I got a new one. It has an electromagnet resistance unit and a handlebar mounted remote that allows you to adjust resistance electronically.

one60
01-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Seems there's always a set of roller on CL Portland. Actually there's three sets now for $100 or so.

Picked up a used set of Tacx Galaxia rollers in PDX from a bike studio in the Pearl. These have 'rocker's on the base that allow you stand & sprint (in theory).

I've done lots of workouts on trainers, even some indoor classes with power meters etc. But prefer the 'conscious effort' required to stay upright on rollers to the mind-less grind of the trainer. YMMV

Mr_Gimby
01-18-2015, 10:52 AM
I've been pretty impressed with my Nashbar Fluid trainer, gets the job done and isn't terribly loud.

On the topic of tires; definitely get something that has either a very thick casing or else a trainer specific tire. I'm currently using an old Gatorskin wire bead and it seems to he holding up. Its not the mileage from the trainer that kills tires, its the heat. I think the thinner tires heat up way faster. I haven't used one, but I've heard trainer-specific tires are much quieter than normal tires, FWIW.

CSKeller
01-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Has she used rollers? There are so many advantages and once back outside, your(her) cycling skills will have increased. Few things more mind numbing than trainer riding. Rollers help the time go more quickly and teach to ride smoothly and in a straight line. It's a skill most any 'serious' cyclist ought to have, IMHO.

Plus good ones are 't a ton of $.

Rollers hone your technique and bike handling and improve your skills while improving your fitness.

I like Sportcrafters...super high quality, top notch product!
https://sportcrafters.com/products/bike-rollers/overdrive-pro-rollers