PDA

View Full Version : threaded becomes threadless

Climb01742
03-19-2004, 08:42 AM
i discovered something a few days ago. while building up my new/old hors (which came with a threaded F1 fork) i faced a problem. i wanted to use deda newton bars but the shop had no quill stems for oversized bars. (are there any quill stems built for oversized bars?) so either i had to go to a different bar or...turn my threaded fork into a threadless one. who knew it was possible? well, i learned it is. using this neat quill thing that comes straight up, to which you can attach a deda newton stem. cool. don't hate me, but i don't like how quill stems look. (yes, i'm a godless infidel only worthy of scorn.) so now i have what is for me the best of both worlds: a F1 fork with a threadless stem and newton bar. ain't science wonderful?:beer:

rideon
03-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Hey Climb,

Thought about doing that myself w/the CSi, but was wondering how strong the adapter plus stem would be. What do ya think?

bags27
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Actually, I'd like to the opposite, but that's not possible: turn a threadless into a threaded. You're not an infidel, Climb, but your taste is questionable (what saves you is that you live in a great town).

saab2000
03-19-2004, 12:40 PM
... I had Don Ferris of Anvil Cycles build me a new fork for a bike I own. The rake on the original fork was incorrect for the head angle and the size of bike, at least according to Don. I do not know about these things, so I trusted what he said. What I do know is that the handling was not really very good with the original fork. The new one is way better.

The new fork can be seen in the Custom Gallery under "Another Croll". I digress.

In any case, the original bike is a lugged steel bike and the new fork is in the same style, except straight bladed. I ordered it like that because I have liked straight forks since I saw my first one back in 1991 in Belgium. Again, I digress.

I took the opportunity for a new fork to go threadless. Yeah, I know, it doesn't really look right on a bike like this, but I wanted to do it anyway. I am not sorry I did. From my perspective the front end is stiffer with the new Ritchey stem on there. This is in my opinion a good thing.

Going threadless does undoubtedly have some drawbacks. Aesthetically it is very questionable on a bike like my Croll. But the performance has been an improvement.

Just thought I would share my own experience with going threadless. :D

Climb01742
03-19-2004, 01:21 PM
hey, bags,
i wholeheartedly agree that in almost anything, my taste is questionable. i like industrial looks. quill stems are far more graceful. but the industrialness of threadless appeals to me. oh, well. the world needs people like me to make the people with good taste stand out.