PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new throne...

JAllen
12-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Howdy folks! I've been pondering about getting a new saddle and wanted to get a few opinions. I currently have a leather Fujita Belt (kind of similar to a Brooks B17 in shape) that unfortunately is getting pretty old and pitiful. I've taken an interest in a Selle Anatomica X or a Brooks Cambium C17. What say you?

Ken Robb
12-20-2014, 02:30 AM
Assuming you ride in wet condition the Cambium might be a better choice than a leather saddle. I love the shape of a B-17 so I would probably like one as well. How has your current leather saddle performed/held up for you? Do you use rain covers?

Does anyone remember the name of the retailer that offers money-back guarantee on Brooks?

roguedog
12-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Wallbike. I've heard they're good folk

Cicli
12-20-2014, 07:11 AM
You can take advantage of the Selle Anatomica sale right now. You can get one of their saddles to your door for 90 bucks or so. They are worth trying out. I love mine.

And Walbike are good folks.

dekindy
12-20-2014, 07:29 AM
I just got a Brooks Team Pro and have ridden it for an hour with my bike attached to a Kickr. So far the stiffness and break-in issue that some users experience is nonexistent. The ride was as good or better than any other saddle I have ridden. On the other hand, many users say they experience no break-in difficulty.

I have ridden a Prologo Scratch Pro on the road for 5 years but still got numbness while riding the trainer indoors. First ride on Brooks there was no numbness. If it does nothing but get better as most that like Brooks experience then I am going to wish I had tried this 10 years ago instead of being put off by the reports of painful break-in.

DRZRM
12-20-2014, 07:35 AM
My first Selle Anatomica X stretched prematurely (in the first year while under warranty). They replaced it free of charge, and explained they had addressed the problem. The replacement has been great, very comfortable. Good seat from a company with excellent customer service. Given the sale prices, worth a try.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Howdy folks! I've been pondering about getting a new saddle and wanted to get a few opinions. I currently have a leather Fujita Belt (kind of similar to a Brooks B17 in shape) that unfortunately is getting pretty old and pitiful. I've taken an interest in a Selle Anatomica X or a Brooks Cambium C17. What say you?

HA! Thought you were talking about this and forgot the 'OT'.

Ralph
12-20-2014, 07:44 AM
My first Selle Anatomica X stretched prematurely (in the first year while under warranty). They replaced it free of charge, and explained they had addressed the problem. The replacement has been great, very comfortable. Good seat from a company with excellent customer service. Given the sale prices, worth a try.

Yes....I got one for $99 and think it's the best saddle I've used in a while, especially for the price. Wouldn't say it disappears under me, but I've got some butt problems, and it's allowing me to ride a lot more than the saddles I was using before. Like it well enough I ordered two more. Back to doing 150 miles per week, or maybe a tad more. For me....it took some fiddling with height, tilt, fore and aft, and tension adjustment to get it right. Chaffing was handled with height and tension adjustment.

yummygooey
12-20-2014, 08:15 AM
I like my Selle Anatomica a lot. I'm 145lbs and have the X version. I tried the C17 for a bit but found it to be too wide. I thought about getting a C15 when my first SA got stolen but ended up defaulting back to the SA. It's really heavy and whatnot but that's a price I'm willing to pay for the comfort.

Saint Vitus
12-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Yep right there with oldpotatoe...

JAllen
12-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Assuming you ride in wet condition the Cambium might be a better choice than a leather saddle. I love the shape of a B-17 so I would probably like one as well. How has your current leather saddle performed/held up for you? Do you use rain covers?

Does anyone remember the name of the retailer that offers money-back guarantee on Brooks?

I was thinking that same thing as far as the frequency of rain. My current saddle has faired ok (most comfortable saddle I've ridden) but it was well broken in when I bought it. So I knew I would have to replace it in a few years anyhow and after a few unexpected dousings, here we are. I was using shower caps and other various bags until I picked up a dedicated cover. although the stitching at the nose negates its waterproofness.

metalheart
12-20-2014, 10:08 AM
I recently switched from a Regal to a Rivet Independence (http://rivetcycleworks.com/#post-saddle-specs) (without a cutout). The Rivet is very similar to the Anatomica.

Mine took a couple hundred miles to soften a bit and now it is a very comfortable ride. It is worth a look and comparison with the Anatomica.

JAllen
12-20-2014, 10:17 AM
You can take advantage of the Selle Anatomica sale right now. You can get one of their saddles to your door for 90 bucks or so. They are worth trying out. I love mine.

And Walbike are good folks.

Tihsepa: outside of the drawback of a leather saddle in a wet climate, their sale is REALLY enticing. I would have to get the X due to my being a manly hunk of meat (and fat... a lot of fat). I'm about 30lbs over the ideal weight for my build which would still be about 200lbs. I have yet to even test ride an SA but I have however tested a C17 and really liked it.

Oldpotatoe: Haha! since we're at it, what would be your preference on best performance? American standard? Bemis? Or perhaps Toto? :)

tumbler
12-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I would also recommend the Selle Anatomica X-series. I wrote a post reviewing my first few rides on it a few weeks ago. It's amazing, one of the best things I've ever purchased for the bike. $99 sale with free shipping right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merckx
12-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I just switched from an American Standard to a Brooks C17. I've attached about 7,000 miles to it and it has been comfortable from the first stroke. No issues with rain/snow and the cotton fabric top remains durable. It has evaporated my desire to roam for now. Lower the lid when your done, please.

ultraman6970
12-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Thought you were talking about that too.... :D

JAllen
12-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Haha sounds like I roped a number of you in by the vague potential topic of toilets! Thank y'all so much for the recommendations and input. I still have to set aside the funds no matter the route I take. Honestly it still is a toss up. I might have to take advantage of the absurdly cheap sale that Selle Anatomica is putting on. Although if the C17 was going for the same rate I probably would go with that due to the Western Oregon weather. Thanks again! :)