PDA

View Full Version : Wandering

Too Tall
03-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Favorite Bike : Credit Card : 3/4 Months

With no more than your fav. bike, a healthy credit card and 3 or 4 months. How would you spend your time, where and why?

I'd take a lightweight fendered racer (PBP rig) with a small handlebar bag...candybar bag and a Riv. Baggins Hoss....maybe that's too much. Hmmm.

Start in Portugal -> Spain...looking for a good tomato fight and a paeilla contest -> France -> Italy...where I'd have a goal to gain 20 lbs -> slow boat to Greece...learn to dance -> Home.

sspielman
03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I'd never get out of Spain though....I am convinced that it is the true center of western civilisation....

93legendti
03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
2 weeks in Colorado; 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies; 2 weeks in Tuscany; 2 weeks in Majorca; 2 weeks in the Dolmites; 2 weeks in the Italian Alps; 4 weeks in Israel.

Why? Great food, great rides and (hoepfully) great weather!

catulle
03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Learn to dance? You're quite ambitious, ain't ya, TT? :D

Kevan
03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
but let's start small and get across the states first. Hotel it everynight, a good camera, some clean clothes.

Fixed
03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
bro I will never get there but holland ... and maybe scotland .ireland cheers

Kevan
03-28-2006, 08:28 AM
say, "Never."

There's the famous Land's End to John O'Groats ride, but rain and wind, and plenty of both, is a certainty.

Too Tall
03-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Kev, JOG is a miserable f'in ride...you'd do it just because it was on the "list" just after the twins.
Catulle - rent a movieL Zorba The Greek and you'll understand.

TimB
03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking....starting in northern Germany and heading north. Denmark, Norway, riding in the midnight sun...chase the reindeer.

catulle
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Kev, JOG is a miserable f'in ride...you'd do it just because it was on the "list" just after the twins.
Catulle - rent a movieL Zorba The Greek and you'll understand.

You´re the better man, TT. I wouldn´t even try. ;)

Sandy
03-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd like to do some rides such as Ride Across Virginia, RAGBRAI, and some charity centuries. Then I would go visit and ride with some members of the forum that I have met and some that I have not met. I could see myself going from one state to the next. Riding with and sharing time with Serotta members (and viewers) would be a wonderful experience.

Sandy

JohnS
03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd like to do some rides such as Ride Across Virginia, RAGBRAI, and some charity centuries. Then I would go visit and ride with some members of the forum that I have met and some that I have not met. I could see myself going from one state to the next. Riding with and sharing time with Serotta members (and viewers) would be a wonderful experience.

Sandy
There you go, making everyone else's response look shallow and self-centered! What are we going to do with you? I think I'll leave it up to Kevan. :p

ti_boi
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I could do it. I am a teacher. So summer's off mean that this hopefully will be my destiny. Since I spent my youth in Kentucky...the interesting years from 15 - 21....I would opt to return there. Tour the backroads, enjoy the culture take a sentimental journey.

Dr. Doofus
03-28-2006, 01:26 PM
somebody hook the doof up with a luigino...then off to VA to ride with TT in the Blue Ridge...then up to Chester to ride with that guy...then up to Boston to ride with jerk, fstrthnu, climb, munson, and the drunk...if he's actually from boston...then over to normandy...which wouldn't be as fun, cause doof barely speaks the language and it would better to meet serotta board nuts than go and ride with a bunch of cats who are calling you a-hole in a tongue you barely comprehend....

72gmc
03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Great daydream, Too Tall. Give me a steel or titanium bike with a steel fork, long-legged in the stays with room for Ruffy Tuffys and a smallish bag (Concours Rapid Tour? Kirk MRB? Tournesol?). Just enough good wool cycle clothing to rinse, ride, and repeat. A small digital camera. I'd like to go north through Europe (Italy to Holland?) with lots of art history stops. I'd also like to visit my college roommate and his wife in Beijing and experience China the ideal way... by bike.

Fixed
03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
somebody hook the doof up with a luigino...then off to VA to ride with TT in the Blue Ridge...then up to Chester to ride with that guy...then up to Boston to ride with jerk, fstrthnu, climb, munson, and the drunk...if he's actually from boston...then over to normandy...which wouldn't be as fun, cause doof barely speaks the language and it would better to meet serotta board nuts than go and ride with a bunch of cats who are calling you a-hole in a tongue you barely comprehend....
bro you got it down imho cheers
you know r.s. will hurt ya on that cross thing .

William
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Delaware.

Tom
03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
The Legend. Out the driveway, turn right. Up through Vermont to see the family, up into northern Maine. Turn left somewhere around Katahdin. Cross the St. Lawrence. Turn left. Go to Vancouver. Turn left. Go to Arcata, see the home of the Arcata Eye. Turn left, head to Yellowstone. Shake fist at the buffalos that chased me under the tree the last time I was there. Angle back up to go over the top of the lakes again. Sag back down and ride through the Adirondacks to home.

But not unless Karen could come, too.

Too Tall
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Everybodys gettin' "10's" on the answers...keep it up.
Mine is not a fantasy 'zactly more a work in progress.
Queen asked me what I wanted to do right after retiring
from my day job and it was along these lines...so 'chu
nebber know.

Fodo, you are part of my plans :cool:

Ray
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
To me, that'd be the ultimate way to cross the US. IF, and its a big one, you could be reasonably sure of being able to find a place to lay your head every night. But there are some WIDE open spaces out there and I think you'd be almost certain to get stranded from time to time. Which has gotten me interested in ultra light camping gear for those dozen or two nights where you just have to crash where-ever you are. I think a bare bones one person tent, sleeping bag/pad combo, and super lightweight stove could be added for only about six pounds, but a fair amount of bulk either in or on the Hoss. If you figure you'll be able to find food and ditch the stove, slightly less. If you can keep the whole load down to 15 pounds to so, I think the bike would still feel like a bike rather than a truck but you'd still have a high degree of independence.

I might do this someday. Or maybe just the Pacific Coast from somewhere up around Neah Bay or Forks (WA) down to Santa Barbara. Either way, sounds to me like the best compromise between carrying a full load and having someone else carry your stuff.

-Ray

wanderingwheel
03-28-2006, 04:10 PM
A credit card tour for 3-4 months? I guess that leaves out a lot of the more remote trips on my to-do list, such as the crest of the Andes and Central Asia.

After listening to Willie Wier, India would be very high on the list. He said a tent is useless and the trip can be done on a moderate budget. Western Europe would be nice, but Eastern Europe sounds just a little better. How about the Baltic to the Black Seas? I guess it's time to break out the darts.

William
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
New Zealand & Australia on two wheels. :cool:

William

Kevan
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM
New Zealand & Australia on two wheels. :cool:

William

Glub! Glub!

William
03-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Glub! Glub!

Shovin off mate!
http://tvindy.typepad.com/photos/private2/weeble_submarine.jpg

William ;)

Too Tall
03-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Ray one of my very good friends Alan Dixon is a minor g-d in the ultralight world and am glad to hook you up direct with him for help. Alan has a web business where he reviews products and sells some too. He and wife Alison is just amazing people.

Ray
03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Ray one of my very good friends Alan Dixon is a minor g-d in the ultralight world and am glad to hook you up direct with him for help. Alan has a web business where he reviews products and sells some too. He and wife Alison is just amazing people.
Thanks Josh, but I'm in the early stage of looking at it now. There's actually a UL Yahoo group for bikes that grew out of a UL backpacker list. I get their mails and have learned a lot. But I'm a ways away from doing any major trips this way. I'm still in the one to two week vacation mode. And some of those guys are pretty extreme - cutting toothbrushes in half, bringing only loose dental floss, sleeping on used bubble wrap, etc. I'm just looking for good lightweight stuff and there seems to be plenty of it out there.

-Ray

JohnS
03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I've never quite understood the UL fad in backpacking. Sure, you can put on more miles every day, but there are few places in the Midwest, fer instance, where you won't run out of trail in a day or two at UL speeds. Eight to ten miles a day is fine with me. I always take my CC chair, Teva sandals and a good paperback book. A man needs his luxuries...

stevep
03-28-2006, 06:21 PM
ireland, scotland
bike toured there 25 years ago for a summer. fabulous roads, dramatic scenery... you could not sit in a pub for 5 minutes without at least several guiness from the tap showing up in front of you... people are a riot. would go there. spain cool, italy great, french alps/ pyrennes dynamite... likely go back to ireland and scotland. food stinks, rains all the time ( rained the first 14 days i was there, did not matter a whit ) beautiful experiance.

JohnS
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
The food is much better nowadays in Scotland and Ireland. I hear that they had to import the chefs, though. I did a hike in the Western Highlands in 2002 and Connemarra in 2004. It was great!

spiderman
03-28-2006, 10:42 PM
i always wanted to go back and bike around the region...
a trip into zagreb, up to bled slovenia following the sava river
down to the adriatic/dalmation coast to split or dubrovnik
and back to zagreb via the plitvice lakes
would be a dream come true!

The Spider
03-29-2006, 02:00 AM
the first part is actually happening....I'd head over to Italy and see some Giro D'italia then I ponder round lake Como then go see Mr. Pegoretti and pick up a frame.

now fantasy....I would then build her up with handbuilt wheels and good solid kit and ride through Italy (Dolomites!), regional France, Belgium (the Paris-Roubaix museum & chocolate, beer & bikes!) and into Germany.

I'd visit Campagnolo and buy you all 'drop-out' keyrings too since it's on the card!

Tom
03-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Made me go back and re-read because I thought you were talking about airplanes. One of the guys at work flies one and I'd get into it if I were rich and didn't have to work (I already have an expensive hobby) because it looks like a blast. Airborne motorcycles. He flies down to Pennsylvania to the farm of the guy that designed the kind he flies for the big 'coming home' weekend and it really sounds like a blast. He says it is so cool to actually go somewhere in it. His has an enclosed cockpit, a heater to keep him warm in winter, the works.

One of those and four months and an extremely healthy credit card would be the way to see North America.