PDA

View Full Version : Help, Force 22 chain catcher

Clancy
12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Just finished building up a bike with Force 22. The front derailleur is a braze on and comes with a chain catcher, similar to what K-Edge made popular. A bolt goes through the chain catcher and attaches the derailleur to the frame, or so it would appear. Problem is the diameter of the bolt hole on the chain catcher is too small for the supplied bolt. I've completed the build, leaving the chain catcher off. Supplied front derailleur bolt worked fine for attaching the derailleur to the frame.

I can drill out the chain catcher so the bolt will go through. But I can't imagine SRAM designed this incorrectly.

What am I missing?

gospastic
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
There should be 2 bolts - the small bolt screws into the larger bolt.

kramnnim
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
This?

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Front-Derailleur-Chain-Spotter/dp/B008JEFQPS

Never handled one of these, but I'm wondering if the FD is mounted like normal, and then the catcher attached to the mounting bolt with the small screw?

Bad diagram...

Small screw > catcher > Mounting bolt > radius washer with ear > brazeon tab

Obviously the mounting bolt would have to be hollow and threaded for the small screw to thread in to.

simonov
12-18-2014, 03:41 PM
^That's right. The mounting bolt attaches the FD. It has a threaded hole in it so you can attach the chain catcher using the smaller bolt. You then use the set screw to dial in the proximity to the chain while on the small ring. Works quite nicely, in my experience.

gospastic
12-18-2014, 03:53 PM
That is what I said

Clancy
12-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks to everyone, mystery solved. Once it was explained and I looked at it, it was super easy.