PDA

View Full Version : School me on Deore XT 10 speed

Matthew
12-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I recently posted a thread on BB spindle length for my new to me Moots Rigormootis, trying to use my like new vintage 8 speed parts off my old bike. Now I realized last night my Front derailleur clamp is 34.9 and of course my Moots calls for a 31.8. Not likely I will find a new or mint 1998 XT front der., top pull/top swing just hanging around. So I am likely to go ten speed Shimano XT now. In my brief research I see there is a couple versions of rear ders., shifters, and front ders. I am looking for a basic set up. I don't have any thru axles as I will use my old wheels. I am also going to use my V-brakes and levers. So I need: Cranks/BB, both derailleurs, shifters, cassette and chain correct? My frame has top tube cable routing, 68mm BB. Looking for the correct rear derailleur, long cage?, medium?, and front derailluer, top pull?, top swing?, that type of thing. And to make this thread more annoying, what are the advantages, disadvantages of going 2x10? Not many huge hills here in Michigan, but many short and steep. Also, are there chainline issues if only using two chainrings? Thanks for your time, advice, and patience in reading my drivel. Matthew

oldpotatoe
12-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I recently posted a thread on BB spindle length for my new to me Moots Rigormootis, trying to use my like new vintage 8 speed parts off my old bike. Now I realized last night my Front derailleur clamp is 34.9 and of course my Moots calls for a 31.8. Not likely I will find a new or mint 1998 XT front der., top pull/top swing just hanging around. So I am likely to go ten speed Shimano XT now. In my brief research I see there is a couple versions of rear ders., shifters, and front ders. I am looking for a basic set up. I don't have any thru axles as I will use my old wheels. I am also going to use my V-brakes and levers. So I need: Cranks/BB, both derailleurs, shifters, cassette and chain correct? My frame has top tube cable routing, 68mm BB. Looking for the correct rear derailleur, long cage?, medium?, and front derailluer, top pull?, top swing?, that type of thing. And to make this thread more annoying, what are the advantages, disadvantages of going 2x10? Not many huge hills here in Michigan, but many short and steep. Also, are there chainline issues if only using two chainrings? Thanks for your time, advice, and patience in reading my drivel. Matthew

Go find one of these. AND modern MTB front ders are both top and bottom pull, depends on how you route the cable is all. Not trying to talk you out of XT 10s but any bike shop probably has a drawer of these.

Matthew
12-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Hey Potatoe, I was looking at the adapters on Blue Sky cyclings site. My front der is a Shimano M739 and it does not list that der as one that is able to use that shim. Any thoughts?

oldpotatoe
12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Hey Potatoe, I was looking at the adapters on Blue Sky cyclings site. My front der is a Shimano M739 and it does not list that der as one that is able to use that shim. Any thoughts?

You can use that shim on any front der. If it isn't perfect for the clamp diameter, just trim the wee tabs.

also these..even a piece of PVC pipe can be used for this.

Matthew
12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Appreciate your wealth of knowledge, and the now many times you have helped me figure things out. Matthew

gdw
12-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Ebay has lots of older XT front 31.8mm derailleurs listed. There isn't a big demand for them so it's not hard to find one in excellent condition for under $20.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deore-XT-FD-M739-Mountain-Bike-Front-Derailleur-31-8mm-Clamp-Triple-/381086766100?pt=US_Derailleurs_Front&hash=item58ba8a9414

oldpotatoe
12-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Appreciate your wealth of knowledge, and the now many times you have helped me figure things out. Matthew

My pleasure.