PDA

View Full Version : the greatest serotta ever ?

Fixed
03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
bro of all the great serotta 's which one would be the one you would most want ? mine red or blue 57cm csi with t.d.f. luggs . I have never seen one except in pictures .cheers

saab2000
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I would like an Ottrott, probably an ST model. 57 CM. Level top tube. Brushed ti and bare carbon. F3 fork. Problem is that if I get this then a killer set of wheels is in order. Another several $$$$.95 for some proper wheels.

Bill Bove
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Colorado II, all fillit brazed, painted onyx and magenta.

Or

Meivieci, plain carbon with magenta panels.

David Kirk
03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
One of my favorites was the "Hurricane Max" which was a fillet version of the TMax.

Very cool.

Dave

dirtdigger88
03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
this is an easy one

Ben

is the greatest Serotta I can think of

with out him- none of this would be happening

Jason

Serotta PETE
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I have one of the original non ST Ottrotts and really like to ride it.

As to its twin, my favorite is the CSI that Kelly built for me with tdf lugs. It rides as well, just different.

pete

PanTerra
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
bro of all the great serotta 's which one would be the one you would most want ? mine red or blue 57cm csi with t.d.f. luggs . I have never seen one except in pictures .cheers

I'm with you bud, i am all over the CSi, but then I really don't have anything to compare it to gitmo. i haven't ridden any other Serotta. :banana:

93legendti
03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
My Ottrott ST. I'd love to have a Ottrott DKS, failing that, my Ottrott ST will do VERY nicely.

Sandy
03-27-2006, 06:12 PM
The greatest Serotta ever is the CSI. It had it all. A beautiful lugged steel bike, with impeccable ride characteristics. It depicted the soul and history of Serotta.

The MeiVici and the Ottrott are innovative and are needed to compete, but the CSI and LegendTi are what made Serotta what it is today.

Serotta Sandy

SoCalSteve
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
is the Hors Categorie...

Best handling bike ever!

And, I've ridden quite a few.

Steve

Serotta PETE
03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
is the Hors Categorie...

Best handling bike ever!

And, I've ridden quite a few.

Steve

Smiley where are you?????????????????

Ozz
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
see link below....

Ahneida Ride
03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
My Rapid Tour Legend. I love this bike ! :D

dave thompson
03-27-2006, 07:45 PM
<snip........... the CSI and LegendTi are what made Serotta what it is today.
Serotta Sandy
I agree! These two bikes are what have firmly established Serotta as the leading maker of fine bikes that they are.

Dr. Doofus
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
for doof, the greatest would be:

57cm CDA
no HT extension
73 sta
73.5 hta
43mm rake fork
56.5 TT
OS tubes
big fat stays

would be the best bike ever under doof's butt -- so that would be his greatest....

Fixed
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
bro doc. our team bike yellow team fourm bike it's easy we ride the same size .cheers

Dr. Doofus
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
bro doc. our team bike yellow team fourm bike it's easy we ride the same size .cheers

cool

you want a 5k long lead out? doof can do that...its about the only thing he can do, though....

fixed bro, what's your seat height?

Fixed
03-27-2006, 08:39 PM
bro I 'm not good with numbers thats why it takes me a while to get my new rides set-up right i raise and lower move back and forward till it feels right .. ever notice in the winter your saddle feels high but in the summer it feels low ?
cheers

sorry but as i say

ShockTreatment
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Derek Everling's lugless track bike (CSI?). He used to ride it around Hains Point when he lived in the DC area, and easily take the sprints.

Lincoln
03-28-2006, 01:57 AM
bro I 'm not good with numbers thats why it takes me a while to get my new rides set-up right i raise and lower move back and forward till it feels right .. ever notice in the winter your saddle feels high but in the summer it feels low ?
cheers

sorry but as i say

Fixed, I bet I raise my saddle about 7 or 8 mm over the course of a season. On a new ride I measure to get in the ballpark and then go by feel. And I am good with number, but it sounds like we have the same "system."

William
03-28-2006, 06:03 AM
The one I ride. Hands down. :cool:

William

LONG LIVE THE SKUNKBIRD!!

CNY rider
03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
cheers

sorry but as i say

Fixed I'm curious as to why that would happen to you. If I recall, you live in Florida, and ride a lot all year round, no? It's something I'd associate with living in upstate NY, where I spend 4 months in the winter skiing, and not doing much riding.
Does your riding change that much over the course of the year, given the temperate climate? Just curious.

Fixed
03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Fixed I'm curious as to why that would happen to you. If I recall, you live in Florida, and ride a lot all year round, no? It's something I'd associate with living in upstate NY, where I spend 4 months in the winter skiing, and not doing much riding.
Does your riding change that much over the course of the year, given the temperate climate? Just curious.
bro I do ride all year but i don't ride hard all year long only for the race season I'm learning how to train thanks to you guys .cheers

theprep
03-28-2006, 09:24 AM
The only Serotta's I have ridden have been a Colorado III and a Ti Max. The Ti Max is the best all around MTB I have ever tried including full suspension designs. So for me, it is the Best Serotta.

When I posted photos of my Ti Max last year David Kirk said: "I still think that might be the finest hard tail ever made".

I was too stupid to ask him then, why he thought so. So Dave, if your reading, what makes it the finest hard tail ever made?

thanks,
Joe

Smiley
03-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Got a Ti Max MTB serial number 43 , its a real keeper , its special but so is my Hors Categorie

David Kirk
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
The only Serotta's I have ridden have been a Colorado III and a Ti Max. The Ti Max is the best all around MTB I have ever tried including full suspension designs. So for me, it is the Best Serotta.

When I posted photos of my Ti Max last year David Kirk said: "I still think that might be the finest hard tail ever made".

I was too stupid to ask him then, why he thought so. So Dave, if your reading, what makes it the finest hard tail ever made?

thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe,

That's hard question to answer as it's so subjective.

I really like the Ti Max because it has a wonderful ride quality (smooth but not wippy) and has wonderful handling. It handles the way I like an MTB to handle. Quick, precise, not at all sloppy. If the rider has good skills it will really reward. I've talked to some that didn't like it but frankly they weren't skilled bike handlers. The Ti max was designed by a very small team to behave a certain way and I think we pulled it off well.

I wish I owned one.

Dave

Fixed
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
bro there is one on e-bay $600

theprep
03-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Thank you for your thoughts Dave.

I agree, a Ti Max is certainly not whippy. It is a pretty stiff frame front to back and with the short chain stays it is very efficient on short steep climbs.

I was able to get mine NOS and consider myself very lucky to have come across it here on the forum.

cheers,
Joe

TweeWielen
03-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Mid 90's CSI built with Tange. Never thought Reynolds stuff rode as nice..

Cheers, Ken

PanTerra
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Mid 90's CSI built with Tange. Never thought Reynolds stuff rode as nice..

Cheers, Ken

What was C4S?

TweeWielen
03-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Its all a bit hazy... thats about 4,500 pints ago. I believe when switch to Reynolds was made there was a Reynolds identification decal of some sort on the frame...

Don't get me wrong... they all ride beautifully and are works of art. But the Tange bikes had a certain liveliness or magic to the ride quality IMHO..

sevencyclist
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
The greatest Serotta ever is the one that Davis Phinney rode to a stage win in Tour de France with Team 7-Eleven. It signifies the arrival of Americans in top tier of professional cycling. :)

Samster
03-28-2006, 02:59 PM

my tastes are pretty plain. i'd want your basic meivici with a level top tube. record carbon. lightweight ventoux (even though they're sew-ups.) oval stuff to round it out and some of that fancy new green stella azzura bar tape.

Fixed
03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
The greatest Serotta ever is the one that Davis Phinney rode to a stage win in Tour de France with Team 7-Eleven. It signifies the arrival of Americans in top tier of professional cycling. :)
bro when I thought of this post that is who came to my mind ,then i thought about lemond who i heard also rode a serotta . I read davis's book a lot with him on his red and yellow srerotta with the big s on the head tube .I love bike history and serotta is amreican bike racing history i.m.h.o. cheers................

I wonder if mr. ben as ever thought of having a museum in part of his factory with a museum gift store . I bet there are a lot of forum bros who loan bikes for exhibit cheers :beer:

PanTerra
03-28-2006, 03:23 PM
I wonder if mr. ben as ever thought of having a museum in part of his factory with a museum gift store . I bet there are a lot of forum bros who loan bikes for exhibit cheers :beer:

I had mentioned before that an online museum would be great. Something like the Canon Camera online Museum:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html