PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar question

jpw
12-16-2014, 03:36 AM
I'm looking for a pair of 'extenders' for the ends of the drops on a road handlebar to add some extra length, to go in where bar tape plugs would insert.

Does such a product exist, and with an expander wedge design?

Thanks, Jason.

palincss
12-16-2014, 05:21 AM
A bar end shifter will do just what you want, and you can shift your gears with it as well.

Ken Robb
12-16-2014, 05:22 AM
Complete or partial bar-end shifters? Or another handlebar that comes back farther. If you can't find drop bars that work maybe something from Rivendell's Nitto offerings like the Moustache bar or its replacement (Albastache?)?

jpw
12-16-2014, 06:23 AM
I combined the Nitto Dynamic and Deda Piega, but the stem clamp has a wide top side and narrow underside. The underside needed to be on the inside of both bends of the bar to get the stem on, and the wedge end of the stem wouldn't swing past the end of the bar to get the clamp in the right position to pass the second bend (i.e. the narrow underside on the inside of the bend), and so the hacksaw came out.

My hands have adequate bar real estate in the drop position, but i'd like to extend the ends a little if possible.

90% of the time i'm on the tops and hoods.

thx.

carpediemracing
12-16-2014, 10:02 AM
I wish I could give you the sections I cut off my bars. Typically I'm cutting 2-3-4 cm off the ends.

Since I can't reach the brakes from the back part of the drops I eliminate them. I don't miss that bit.

phutterman
12-16-2014, 02:10 PM
What shape of bars are you riding on now?

I have a couple of sets of Salsa Cowbells and find them to extend back farther in the drops than any other bars I've ridden. Really quite long. But they're really short and shallow otherwise, so if that's not the shape you're on you'd probably need a longer stem and might end up with the ends of the drops back where they started, etc. They've also got a little bit of flare to them. I find it very comfortable (both on dirt and road) but YMMV, of course. Might be worth a look though.

jpw
12-17-2014, 05:51 AM
What shape of bars are you riding on now?

I have a couple of sets of Salsa Cowbells and find them to extend back farther in the drops than any other bars I've ridden. Really quite long. But they're really short and shallow otherwise, so if that's not the shape you're on you'd probably need a longer stem and might end up with the ends of the drops back where they started, etc. They've also got a little bit of flare to them. I find it very comfortable (both on dirt and road) but YMMV, of course. Might be worth a look though.

Deda Piega, short reach compact design, but with a 26 mm diameter bulge for the quill stem (the frame is old skool, 1" head tube, no steerer tube extension for 'modern' stems).

lhuerta
12-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Adding length to ur drops with any sort of extension is not ideal for a variety of reasons ....best solution is to get a new bar. Many of the new compact style bars have longer drop extensions (eg FSA, Soma). Also, if u r seeking more extension of ur drops it is also possible that ur stem length (and/or top tube) is too long.

jpw
12-18-2014, 03:59 AM
Adding length to ur drops with any sort of extension is not ideal for a variety of reasons ....best solution is to get a new bar. Many of the new compact style bars have longer drop extensions (eg FSA, Soma). Also, if u r seeking more extension of ur drops it is also possible that ur stem length (and/or top tube) is too long.

thanks, but i think you have misunderstood what i did and why.