PDA

View Full Version : Moots Rigor/ old school BB spindle length question

Matthew
12-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Just received a new to me Moots Rigormootis year 2002. My current bike has a 73mm BB shell, the Moots has a 68mm. I am running 1998 Shimano XT parts that are like new. I need to know what length BB spindle to purchase for the 68mm shell. My cranks are Xt M739, 42, 32, 22 teeth chainrings. I am wondering if someone here is running a similar set up on their Moots and can give me the correct spindle length. Old Potatoe has been kind enough to give me some info that has been very helpful and thinks it is either a 110mm or 113mm spindle that I need. Or do I just use the same length as my 1998 Trek 8500, which is an aluminum hardtail. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Ken Robb
12-15-2014, 07:10 PM
The outside-to-outside distance between the chainstays where your pedals come closest to hitting the stays may be a critical number for choosing spindle length.

Matthew
12-16-2014, 05:40 AM
Got to thinking maybe I should upgrade to ten speed. What are the minimum parts I will need to do this? Cranks/BB, shifters, front and rear derailleurs, and cassette/chain? I can still use my 8 speed wheels correct? And I can still use my V-brakes as the brake levers are separate from my shifters. Are there advantages to going two by ten? And in looking at the ten speed cranks/BB I noticed the new BB's come with spacers. Do I use spacers with a 68mm BB shell? They are not simply like the road stuff from Shimano where you just simply install the BB and cranks minus spacers? Been out of the loop are far as the modern MTB stuff as you can tell. Appreciate any help you can offer.

oldpotatoe
12-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Got to thinking maybe I should upgrade to ten speed. What are the minimum parts I will need to do this? Cranks/BB, shifters, front and rear derailleurs, and cassette/chain? I can still use my 8 speed wheels correct? And I can still use my V-brakes as the brake levers are separate from my shifters. Are there advantages to going two by ten? And in looking at the ten speed cranks/BB I noticed the new BB's come with spacers. Do I use spacers with a 68mm BB shell? They are not simply like the road stuff from Shimano where you just simply install the BB and cranks minus spacers? Been out of the loop are far as the modern MTB stuff as you can tell. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Yes, 73 shell, one spacer on RH side, 68 shell, 2 on RH, 1 on left hand side unless you have an 'e clamp fder-unlikely, then you use 1 on each side.

I would say, as I mentioned, since it's a new frame. Get the 68mm cups, use the 113(probably in the trek), build and ride. See how the clearance is between the cranks, chainrings and chainstays to see if a 110mm BB would be better.

10s upgrade is gonna be pricey. Shifters, crank/BB, ders and cogset and chain. yes, the 10s(or 9s) cogset will work on that 8s rear wheel.