PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle rental in Denver?

Mr. Pink
12-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Nice mid to high end road bike. I guess I can do Boulder, too.

I'm up in Summit county skiing this winter, wondering if I should bring my bike for days off in the front range or rent.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Nice mid to high end road bike. I guess I can do Boulder, too.

I'm up in Summit county skiing this winter, wondering if I should bring my bike for days off in the front range or rent.

http://boulderbikesmith.com/

witcombusa
12-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Nothing but good things to say about Boulder Bikesmith. Used them for years before I got my Ritchey Breakaway.

No worries :banana:

Neil
12-15-2014, 08:42 AM
When I was in Boulder a couple of months ago these guys were really friendly, new their stuff - and rent Super Six Cannondales: http://ubikes.com/

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks, but, Boulder is a little out of the way. But, if that's all there is........

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks, but, Boulder is a little out of the way. But, if that's all there is........

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bikerentals&find_loc=Denver%2C+CO

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bikerentals&find_loc=Denver%2C+CO

Cool!

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/8K1YZR6xcbkTHTlcl6PUrw/o.jpg

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Cool!

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/8K1YZR6xcbkTHTlcl6PUrw/o.jpg

ooops..ahh the interweb.

Ralph
12-15-2014, 10:40 AM
You can ride a bike around Frisco and Breckenridge this time of year?

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 12:30 PM
No, I'm talking about going down to Denver and up a little into the foothills on a nice day. You'd be surprised how nice it is down there, even some days in January, but, definitely March. Like, short sleeves and shorts nice. And the Denver trail system, which is quite extensive, is very well maintained year round.

Ralph
12-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Interesting you say that. As a retiree who has traveled around the west a bit, I'm very familiar with the Colorado front range as far as driving around. (Summitt county also). But haven't cycled there much, except around Lake Dillon in summer. Over to Copper, etc. Some trails out of Glenwood Springs.

But have been wondering, if i wanted to come out to Denver, Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, area for a month or so in summer or early fall, is there a good reasonable priced motel/hotel near the trail system, where a person could stay and ride safely while one figured out best places to ride. Keeping in mind, I would be by myself, and not interested in getting hit and winding up in hospital with wife 2000 miles away. And I don't really mind riding the trails, when by myself. Am aware of a Homewood Suites near the 470 trail in Littleton. Don't know if that is a good location to hook up with other trails.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but figured you might know and have this figured out.

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Interesting you say that. As a retiree who has traveled around the west a bit, I'm very familiar with the Colorado front range as far as driving around. (Summitt county also). But haven't cycled there much, except around Lake Dillon in summer. Over to Copper, etc. Some trails out of Glenwood Springs.

But have been wondering, if i wanted to come out to Denver, Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, area for a month or so in summer or early fall, is there a good reasonable priced motel/hotel near the trail system, where a person could stay and ride safely while one figured out best places to ride. Keeping in mind, I would be by myself, and not interested in getting hit and winding up in hospital with wife 2000 miles away. And I don't really mind riding the trails, when by myself. Am aware of a Comfort Inn Suites near the 470 trail in Littleton.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but figured you might know and have this figured out.

Not really. Only places I have stayed in Denver are downtown towers, if at all. But, even from there, if the hotel is bike friendly, you could do some riding by hooking up to a nearby trail easily after a few city streets. It's a huge trail system, I think 400+ miles, and well done. The stuff near the foothills can get sort of hilly. A great ride is the climb up to Red Rocks and back. So, best I can tell you is to find a map of the bike trails and look for a motel near one out in the outer ring.

But, summer and early fall is really nice up high in the mountains. I did a ride from Vail over the pass to Breck once on a bluebird day in late September with all of the Aspens ablaze. Memorable.

witcombusa
12-15-2014, 02:07 PM
No, I'm talking about going down to Denver and up a little into the foothills on a nice day. You'd be surprised how nice it is down there, even some days in January, but, definitely March. Like, short sleeves and shorts nice. And the Denver trail system, which is quite extensive, is very well maintained year round.

Not sure why anyone would ride in Denver that didn't live there (and even they have great options not far away).

Go to the foothills...

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 02:24 PM
It's winter. Even some foothills are cold and snowy. Besides, like I said, you can find a few rides. Or, well, not.

bargainguy
12-15-2014, 02:29 PM
This summer, I met up with some folks in Denver and we biked the Platte River trail through town. I liked it. Trail was nicely maintained, plenty of places to park at various stops. Don't know if they plow in the winter (or even if they need to) but that would be a +.

Mr. Pink
12-15-2014, 02:46 PM
This summer, I met up with some folks in Denver and we biked the Platte River trail through town. I liked it. Trail was nicely maintained, plenty of places to park at various stops. Don't know if they plow in the winter (or even if they need to) but that would be a +.

I have driven by the I 470 trail in winter right after some snow, and it was plowed, so.......
But snow doesn't last long in Denver proper. Once biked down there a week after a school closing storm, and, you would barely know it. Just little mounds here and there. Dry air sucks it right up.

Wilkinson4
12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
You'd be surprised how nice it is down there, even some days in January, but, definitely March. Like, short sleeves and shorts nice. And the Denver trail system, which is quite extensive, is very well maintained year round.

SHHHHHHH!!!! :)

mIKE

pbarry
12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Iirc, a shop or two in Golden rents bikes. That would be your best bet for driving distance from the slopes and a good starting place for some decent rides.

kmac
12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
if you do manage to locate a bike, here's a great overview of the denver trail system. i lived there for 4 years, and spent lots of time on all of them. just note -- these are definitely city/urban trails (translation: not beautiful mountain scenery). you'll ride past some nice stuff, and you'll ride past your share of factories/refineries, and spend some time alongside big highways.

but if you're looking to stay out of traffic -- these will do the job. and the bear creek trail will take you into bear creek lake park which you can then take right into downtown morrison. once there, you're basically at the base of the climb up to red rocks -- in case you decide you want to venture off the trails and onto the roads.

good luck!

chuckred
12-16-2014, 07:01 PM

But have been wondering, if i wanted to come out to Denver, Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, area for a month or so in summer or early fall, is there a good reasonable priced motel/hotel near the trail system, where a person could stay and ride safely while one figured out best places to ride. Keeping in mind, I would be by myself, and not interested in getting hit and winding up in hospital with wife 2000 miles away. And I don't really mind riding the trails, when by myself. Am aware of a Homewood Suites near the 470 trail in Littleton. Don't know if that is a good location to hook up with other trails.

Comfort suite in evergreen and courtyard in Lakewood would give you many road and mountain options . Happy to share via pm or in a separate thread for those who are interested.