PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Pro stem bolts

Matthew
12-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Anyone know where I can get replacement stem bolts for my Ritchey Pro? I have seen the ti replacements offered on Ebay and may give those a look. Anyone purchased these? Like them? Quality? Just want something that is compatible and do not round off easily. I am in need of two for the faceplate, steerer tube bolts are good. Thanks, Matthew.

Cicli
12-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Anyone know where I can get replacement stem bolts for my Ritchey Pro? I have seen the ti replacements offered on Ebay and may give those a look. Anyone purchased these? Like them? Quality? Just want something that is compatible and do not round off easily. I am in need of two for the faceplate, steerer tube bolts are good. Thanks, Matthew.

I would not go Ti. They have to be bigger to offer up the same strength. That said, I broke one and Ritchey was awesome in replacing them all. Contact Ritchey.

Matthew
12-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I was a bit leery of going the ti route for the reason you stated. I shot Ritchey an e-mail today. See what they have to say.

lhuerta
12-14-2014, 04:10 PM

...just write to Ritchey directly and they will send you a new set.

If you are rounding of the regular allen bolts then either u are over-torquing or your tool is knackered (4 Nm is usually more then enough to mate stem to bars on a 4 bolt stem), on torx bolts make sure your tool is FULLY inserted and engaged. Lou

Matthew
12-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I think it is my tool. Wait, that does not sound right! Probably time for a new set of T wrenches.

bikerboy337
12-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Contact Ritchey, great customer service....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMB
12-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Ralph
12-14-2014, 05:17 PM
You can buy all manner of nuts and bolts at your local Ace Hardware.

Do not use Ti bolts on a stem faceplate.

Yep....just use stainless from ACE in same length and size. I know my closest Ace has them. They also have a thread checker so you know exactly what to get. Don't forget matching washers.

Shoeman
12-14-2014, 07:30 PM
You can buy all manner of nuts and bolts at your local Ace Hardware.

Do not use Ti bolts on a stem faceplate.

Why would it be a problem to use the Ti bolts on a stem face plate???

buldogge
12-14-2014, 08:49 PM
The only issue with hardware store bolts can be that the heads are not small enough diameter. The stem bolts have reduced diameter heads compared to stock bolts of the same thread size.

-Mark in St. Louis

Tony
12-14-2014, 09:23 PM

I have ti on all my stems face plates (five stems) with no problems.

Cicli
12-15-2014, 03:41 AM

Because in order to have the same strength as steel they need to be larger.
Weak bolts on stem faceplate = bad plan. In the end, it's your bike, have at it.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Weak bolts on stem faceplate = bad plan. In the end, it's your bike, have at it.

Altho the torque is pretty low, ti bolts are expensive for almost zero added benefit plus having one gaul in your stem can ruin your day.

But as he said-

tigoat
12-15-2014, 06:48 AM

That is a good assumption in general but we need a apples to apples comparsion here to make the argument. What kind of steel are we talking about here? Some softer steels may not be as strong as Ti 6Al4V. The problem is that we don't know much about the alloys in these metals so we can't really make a valid agreement either way.

tigoat
12-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Yep....just use stainless from ACE in same length and size. I know my closest Ace has them. They also have a thread checker so you know exactly what to get. Don't forget matching washers.

Be careful substituding hardware store bolts for the factory style bolts. Don't know about this paritcular stem but Ritchey uses a special bolt with a dome washer for some of their stems so it might be a problem if you use a square bottom bolt.

Tony
12-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Altho the torque is pretty low, ti bolts are expensive for almost zero added benefit plus having one gaul in your stem can ruin your day.

But as he said-

Its ALL the "almost zero added benefit" things that can add up to a significant benefit, weight savings on ones bike.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Its ALL the "almost zero added benefit" things that can add up to a significant benefit, weight savings on ones bike.

Whatever blows your skirt up. Not wanting to get into weight-weenie argument.

BUT 'Significant' is a BIG word. A POUND, 454 grams, sounds 'significant', or even 2 POUNDS, almost a thousand grams......which could also cost lot$a...but still only 1% of most bike/riders/clothes, etc.

Ti stem bolts are lighter than steel stem bolts but that doesn't mean steel stem bolts are heavy.

Old saw, if ya want to see significant performance increases and benefit.

-Fit-bike fit
-Fitness-being fit
-Finesse-riding/training/racing smart
-FAT-lackthereof on the rider.

Number 4 is by far the best, cheapest, hardest.

I could easily lose a SBW of me butt and middle-Standard Bike Weight-20 pounds..then my bike would weigh....Zero!!!

Ralph
12-15-2014, 10:28 AM
What bolts do the, higher level than Pro, 7000 series aluminum Ritchey WCS stems use? My point is....if your're going for light, Pro not the way to go anyway. With Pro....might as well use generic stainless bolts.

Tony
12-15-2014, 11:20 AM

BUT 'Significant' is a BIG word. A POUND, 454 grams, sounds 'significant', or even 2 POUNDS, almost a thousand grams......which could also cost lot$a...but still only 1% of most bike/riders/clothes, etc.

Ti stem bolts are lighter than steel stem bolts but that doesn't mean steel stem bolts are heavy.

-Fit-bike fit
-Fitness-being fit

I could easily lose a SBW of me butt and middle-Standard Bike Weight-20 pounds..then my bike would weigh....Zero!!!

Weight and bikes is a hotly debated subject. I agree with the bike fit, fitness, training being the most important things one can do, for sure. However, the fact is a lighter bike will climb faster and respond to speed changes better if you put out the same power.

Weight matters as much as YOU want it to matter. For me two pounds is significant. I'll choose the light bike nearly every time.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Weight and bikes is a hotly debated subject. I agree with the bike fit, fitness, training being the most important things one can do, for sure. However, the fact is a lighter bike will climb faster and respond to speed changes better if you put out the same power.

Weight matters as much as YOU want it to matter. For me two pounds is significant. I'll choose the light bike nearly every time.

Yup, all things being equal, where in 'people powered', it never is.

My Moots weighs less than my Merckx MXLeader by about 1.5 pounds. I pick my Merckx almost every time.

I'm out.

drsmile
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
I replaced the bolts with McMaster quality stainless steel ones, and stainless curved washers to closely match the OEM ones. So far so good 5000 miles later.

Ken Robb
12-15-2014, 10:19 PM

-Fit-bike fit
-Fitness-being fit

YEAH! What he said, but it is more convincing coming from Peter.