PDA

View Full Version : Iron Horse Classic

sam.g
03-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I've been invited by a friend who just purchased a condo in Durango to join him riding the Iron Horse Classic over Memorial Day weekend. For those unfarmiliar with this event, it's a race of about 47 miles with 8,500' of climbing to beat a train from Durango to Silverton. Although I don't race, I do tour and have ridden in Colorado on several occasions including the BTC. However I'd be very interested in anyone's experience with this event, what to expect, weather and any training tips.

http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/

Anyone else planning to go?

Sam in Cincy

mtflycaster
03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Yes. I'll being doing it for the third time this year. It's fun.

The website has the race profile. I find it to be very difficult. Two big passes to climb. I usually get up the first one OK, but by the middle of the second I'm bonking. I've never beaten the train. This year I'm adding much more climbing in my training to try to do better.

Anyway, the first year, it snowed on the mountain pases and rained all the way down into Silverton. Last year the weather was fine. So...be prepared, carry come extra clothes, etc.

And good luck!

Side note: Tom Danielson of Discovery hold the record for the course.

Lincoln
03-27-2006, 12:29 PM
That was my second road race ever (mid 90's). Won the 4's in a two-up sprint into Silverton so obvioiusly I like the race. The two climbs are pretty good ones and if you look at the profile you will see that most of the 8500' of climbing is in the last 25 miles or so (iirc) in addition to all the climbing, the two passes are over 10,000' which some find to be a little light on the O2.

Weather would typically be cold at night and reasonably toasty during the day. However it is the rockies so cold and snow is not out of the question.

Durnago is a cool town and the whole weekend has a fun feel to it. Worth doing once and then deciding whether or not to make it an annual thing. Some bautiful scenery around there. Ouray, just north of Silverton is in one of the prettiest mountain valley's in the West IMHO.

sam.g
03-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I had almost forgotten, the weather in the mountains in June can be totally unpredictable. On prior tours I've lugged a large seat pack or a fanny pack around to carry the extra layers, long finger gloves, rain jacket, ect., where do you store your extra layers and what do you recommend for carrying these at the race?

I had read that the organizers will transport a small bag for you to Silverton with a clothing change, but that doesn't help when you're out on the course. Also how long do you have in Silverton before the return train ride to Durago?

thanks,

Sam

mtflycaster
03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure about how long you have before catching the train. I always had a ride back to Durango.

However, I know the train gets booked, then you have to take one of the buses back. So, book the train NOW if you want to be on the train.

BTW. It is a one our bus ride back to town, and a 3.5 hour train ride.

Spinner
03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I've not ridden the Iron Horse, however in 1984 Mrs. Spinner and I were driving the route during the race. At the summit there was about 6 inches of slushy snow, with some small hail falling.

Good luck and good weather.

Lincoln
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I had almost forgotten, the weather in the mountains in June can be totally unpredictable. On prior tours I've lugged a large seat pack or a fanny pack around to carry the extra layers, long finger gloves, rain jacket, ect., where do you store your extra layers and what do you recommend for carrying these at the race?

I had read that the organizers will transport a small bag for you to Silverton with a clothing change, but that doesn't help when you're out on the course. Also how long do you have in Silverton before the return train ride to Durago?

thanks,

Sam

I did the train ride as a kid with my granparents, it's very pretty but very slow (a completely different route than the ride--and even more scenic).

I always had a ride back to Durango.

You will usually have a good idea whether or not nasty weather is a possibility the night before, and an even better idea the morning of. If the weather is typical mountain June weather (very cold at night, warm during the day) then you may have a light layer that you peel off as you climb (and as the morning warms up); if you have bad luck and get a storm you should know beofre you start and will just start warm and maybe have a little extra in your pockets.