PDA

View Full Version : Lower headset bearing stuck

ultraman6970
12-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Ok guys, riddle me this...

One of my friends had a problem with the integrated headset, we replaced the top bearing and all ok but the bottom one is stuck in the frame.

The headset is integrated tapered 1 1/8 to 1.5.

The reason I wanted to remove the bottom bearing is to put some grease in the bearing/frame race cup so the bearing doesnt seize to the frame race... bad luck! is already stuck in place.

I'm under the impression that if i tap the bearing out, this might force us to put a new bearing in place. Any idea?? anybody ran with the same problem at some point?? Dont have penetrating oil, so wonder if anything else could work? I cant use a torch, frame is carbon but the races are aluminum.

Thanks.

kramnnim
12-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Hmm, if you can get to only the outer race, and pound on it, you shouldn't harm the bearing. If you have to smack the inner race...bigger chance of ruining it.

ultraman6970
12-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Hmm I was thinking the same thing, thanks... :D

Dumb question, those 1.5 bearings in some bikes are pressed right?? Wonder if this is the case?

kramnnim
12-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Should come out with finger pressure.

ultraman6970
12-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Thanks.

Probably gonna have to get a bearing extractor or something like that, darn bearing is not like 5 bucks :/

tigoat
12-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Most integrated bearings are not pressed in. If there is a cup then it is pressed in but if not then they are slip fit. Your head tube might be ovalized if the slip fit lower bearing is stuck. Just use the Park "expander" tool to knock it out if you want to take it out. You may also re-grease it in place if you can plier the lower seal off.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Ok guys, riddle me this...

One of my friends had a problem with the integrated headset, we replaced the top bearing and all ok but the bottom one is stuck in the frame.

The headset is integrated tapered 1 1/8 to 1.5.

The reason I wanted to remove the bottom bearing is to put some grease in the bearing/frame race cup so the bearing doesnt seize to the frame race... bad luck! is already stuck in place.

I'm under the impression that if i tap the bearing out, this might force us to put a new bearing in place. Any idea?? anybody ran with the same problem at some point?? Dont have penetrating oil, so wonder if anything else could work? I cant use a torch, frame is carbon but the races are aluminum.

Thanks.

As has been mentioned, probably stuck in there but not pressed in. You can use the Park 'spaceship' type tool or perhaps a sharpened brass rod to gently tap it out. Grease, including taking the seal off the bearing with a sharp blade, grease in there, seal back on.

shovelhd
12-14-2014, 07:25 AM
If you don't have the Park tool you can make one out of copper pipe.