PDA

View Full Version : Crank Taper Query...

buldogge
12-12-2014, 11:18 AM
So, I was messing around with the Sugino Super Mighty cranks that I'm gonna use on my track/road/fixed hybrid frame project…tried some BBs that I have laying around to check the fit to the crank.

I have on hand:

Phil Ti 111mm JIS (I'm 99% sure…looking for my receipt)
Token Campy "ISO" 111mm
Campy Athena 111mm
Shimano UN54 JIS 113mm

I stuck each BB into several of the Sugino arms (I have 2 cranksets) by hand and measured the depth of the spindle face from the crankarm bolt recess.

The Shimano was deepest, in true JIS style, at ~8mm.
The Token (supposedly Campy ISO) and the Phil were pretty much the same at ~5.5mm.
The Campy Athena was shallowest at ~4.8mm.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Phil, given that it is a (basically) brand new Ti spindled BB and will also give me 5mm of adjustability for chainline.

Is this an example of the whole pre-94 Campy taper thing that Phil Wood speaks of on their site? The Phil "JIS" seems to fit well.

Also, I measured the width at the taper end for each BB and the Shimano was 12.9mm, the Phil and Token were ~12.72mm, and the Campy (only really used BB) was 12.67mm

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Look585
12-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Sounds like your Phil is ISO. I'd use that one.

For reference:
https://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/spndltyp.jpg

buldogge
12-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Nope…Phil is "JIS"…Phil doesn't make a 111 ISO (only 110.5).

-Mark

Sounds like your Phil is ISO. I'd use that one.

For reference:
https://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/spndltyp.jpg

oldpotatoe
12-12-2014, 02:11 PM
So, I was messing around with the Sugino Super Mighty cranks that I'm gonna use on my track/road/fixed hybrid frame project…tried some BBs that I have laying around to check the fit to the crank.

I have on hand:

Phil Ti 111mm JIS (I'm 99% sure…looking for my receipt)
Token Campy "ISO" 111mm
Campy Athena 111mm
Shimano UN54 JIS 113mm

I stuck each BB into several of the Sugino arms (I have 2 cranksets) by hand and measured the depth of the spindle face from the crankarm bolt recess.

The Shimano was deepest, in true JIS style, at ~8mm.
The Token (supposedly Campy ISO) and the Phil were pretty much the same at ~5.5mm.
The Campy Athena was shallowest at ~4.8mm.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Phil, given that it is a (basically) brand new Ti spindled BB and will also give me 5mm of adjustability for chainline.

Is this an example of the whole pre-94 Campy taper thing that Phil Wood speaks of on their site? The Phil "JIS" seems to fit well.

Also, I measured the width at the taper end for each BB and the Shimano was 12.9mm, the Phil and Token were ~12.72mm, and the Campy (only really used BB) was 12.67mm

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Interesting since both are 2 degrees but JIS is bigger than ISO in actual dimension. So I sure don't know.

buldogge
12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Yep...Seems that Phil JIS is slightly smaller than true JIS (12.7 vs 12.9mm).

Also, confirmed that the BB is "Shimano 111mm", at least based on my order.

-Mark

Interesting since both are 2 degrees but JIS is bigger than ISO in actual dimension. So I sure don't know.