PDA

View Full Version : Don't Rob Banks And Use A Custom Bike As Your Get-A-Way!

RedRider
12-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Chicago bank robber gets caught after they tracked his custom Steelman bicycle...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-05-10/news/0205100231_1_robbing-shirt-and-pants-fbi-and-local-police

rilz
12-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Woah this is really cool. (Not that I support bank robberies per se) thanks for posting!

All he had to do is just ride an allez or some other factory frame and he could have gotten away with it.

jtakeda
12-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Place Beyond the Pines- bicycle edition.

Steve in SLO
12-11-2014, 11:17 PM
$1300 for a custom Steelman? Why did he have to rob banks?

seanile
12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
the irony of the bike's name..

rcnute
12-11-2014, 11:24 PM

Stealer's Wheel.

Ryan

velomonkey
12-11-2014, 11:48 PM

LOLZ :banana::banana:

weehastogopee
12-12-2014, 12:02 AM
And the irony of his last name hahaha

BirkWinn
12-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Place Beyond the Pines- bicycle edition.

Yes, my thoughts exactly well done

Dead Man
12-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Yea... no shortage of irony at all in this one. I suspect he'll probably do pretty good with a book or movie deal someday.

Seriously, though... why ride a custom bike?? That's such an Achilles Heal in a situation like this. Ride a freaken run of the mill $200 Peugeot and keep it wiped down/wear gloves...

I also am not condoning this- just kind of fantasizing. :banana:

Munger
12-12-2014, 04:46 AM
I'm sure I could get away with it! ;)

http://www.steelmancycles.com/Photos/25th-Anniversary-Gravel-Road_a.jpg

SlowPokePete
12-12-2014, 05:43 AM
NEVER leave your bike behind.

SPP

BumbleBeeDave
12-12-2014, 05:47 AM

Nobody would ever remember THAT bike! :p

BBD

soulspinner
12-12-2014, 06:11 AM
never leave your bike behind.

Spp

+1

shovelhd
12-12-2014, 07:13 AM

SPP

I guess he doesn't race cross.

Web1111a
12-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Article is from 2002

Is this guy out

Whom owns the bike

What were steelmans running then

MattTuck
12-12-2014, 08:47 AM
ha! That's actually pretty funny. My dad will get a kick out of it. He doesn't ride but seems enamored with my custom bike.

marsh
12-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Someone should do a follow-up article, and see what he's riding these days.

"Tom Justice spent nine years in prison and was released in 2010."
- damn, Illinois guys do less time for murder.

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/breaking-the-bank/

Cornfed
12-12-2014, 09:41 AM
More details from the local paper ...

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Alleged-Choirboy-Bandit-captured-Suspect-in-7-2837787.php

Evidently it was the need to dress in appropriate cycling attire that did him in.

malcolm
12-12-2014, 11:00 AM
$1300 for a custom Steelman? Why did he have to rob banks?

Saving up for a firefly !!!

SlackMan
12-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Oh man, thanks for posting that! I gotta change my plans! I need to buy a car by this afternoon before the banks close. :cool:

MattTuck
12-12-2014, 11:14 AM
More details from the local paper ...

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Alleged-Choirboy-Bandit-captured-Suspect-in-7-2837787.php

Evidently it was the need to dress in appropriate cycling attire that did him in.

If only the Rapha city line was available when he was doing this.

GregL
12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Article is from 2002

Is this guy out

Whom owns the bike

He's out: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/05/29/designing_the_perfect_bank_heist_99_percent_invisi ble_by_roman_mars.html

And it looks like he's been racing on the velodrome: http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=47875

If he falls back into old, bad habits, perhaps his next getaway bike will be a fixie...

- Greg

carpediemracing
12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
He's out: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/05/29/designing_the_perfect_bank_heist_99_percent_invisi ble_by_roman_mars.html

And it looks like he's been racing on the velodrome: http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=47875

If he falls back into old, bad habits, perhaps his next getaway bike will be a fixie...

- Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6ie1zCkZU

Mr. Pink
12-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Not on that bike, unless you steal a few pedals, too.

carlineng
12-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Article is from 2002

Is this guy out

Whom owns the bike

This bike currently lives in San Francisco with a friend of mine. How he came to own it is a pretty funny story in itself. His friend bought it at a police auction and put it up on CL for sale. My buddy responded to the CL ad (not knowing it was put up by his buddy), and ended up buying the bike. He then contacted Steelman w/ the serial number, who directed him to this story. The bike is in good hands now.

Cornfed
12-12-2014, 12:49 PM
This bike currently lives in San Francisco with a friend of mine. How he came to own it is a pretty funny story in itself. His friend bought it at a police auction and put it up on CL for sale. My buddy responded to the CL ad (not knowing it was put up by his buddy), and ended up buying the bike. He then contacted Steelman w/ the serial number, who directed him to this story. The bike is in good hands now.

Good to know. I was feeling guilty that I was wondering what size it was. ;)

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 01:20 PM

That's hilarious! I'd love to own the get away Steelman.

I have tried for ages to find out how the police dispose of bikes in Philly, and still haven't been able to find out if there's an auction, a give away or what they do. Every department says another department handles it.

This being Philly, that probably means someone paid somebody something and was brought on as a vendor and gets paid to take away the bikes.

AustinHorse
12-12-2014, 01:48 PM
would not expect a bike mechanic to be the one to drop a dime!

Dead Man
12-12-2014, 02:02 PM

I had a similar thought... but the fact of the matter is everyone has their own ethic, jealousy, resentment, sense of duty, etc. I'm sure there are bike mechanics that could/would keep that secret, but there's probably even more that wouldn't.

It's also entirely possible that Mr. Justice was a prick and his mechanic didn't particularly like him.. sounds like he was a bit of a spoiled rich overgrown kid

Saint Vitus
12-12-2014, 02:08 PM

I would think the possible reward money would be a month or two's wages...

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
So we have gravel bikes, city bikes, fat tire snow bikes, cargo bikes...etc. etc. etc.

It never occurred to me that I'd need a bank robbing bike.

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
I would think the possible reward money would be a month or two's wages...

Or maybe he has a duty to society and met it because it was the right thing to do.

Dead Man
12-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Never hurts to have ready-made justifications for the next +1

"Well, baby... THIS one actually pays for itself, and then some."

William
12-12-2014, 02:11 PM
So we have gravel bikes, city bikes, fat tire snow bikes, cargo bikes...etc. etc. etc.

Might also end up needing a new jersey...;)

William

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Never hurts to have ready-made justifications for the next +1

"Well, baby... THIS one actually pays for itself, and then some."

:banana:

Exactly! Well hon, see...the light touring bike is no good here because it won't fit the knobbies and might be too recognizable, so...

It's only another few bikes away before you need your bank robbing WINTER build.

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Might also end up needing a new jersey...;)

William

Needs some back pockets - for bottles AND shiv. ;)

Saint Vitus
12-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Or maybe he has a duty to society and met it because it was the right thing to do.

Given the other speculations I thought I'd offer that one up. My take on humanity is that most people are honest and upright with regards to abiding by the law, except those of course who derive they sustenance through criminal activities ;-)

I wonder if Mr. Justice has ever paid this forum a visit...

MattTuck
12-12-2014, 02:23 PM
:banana:

Exactly! Well hon, see...the light touring bike is no good here because it won't fit the knobbies and might be too recognizable, so...

It's only another few bikes away before you need your bank robbing WINTER build.

Come up to central NH. the need is NOW. :help:

Aaron O
12-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Given the other speculations I thought I'd offer that one up. My take on humanity is that most people are honest and upright with regards to abiding by the law, except those of course who derive they sustenance through criminal activities ;-)

My view is basically the same as yours...

People are honest and upright so long as its convenient and so long as they can afford to be. So long as it doesn't hurt them, or pose risk, most will be honest and upright. Some are more honest and upright in more adverse conditions, but the vast majority have a breaking point.

When the power is out, and food is scarce, the thin patina of society goes bye bye. Essentially every dog is just three meals away from being a wolf.

fiataccompli
12-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Maybe one more reason to do your own maintenance on your bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinHorse
12-12-2014, 07:07 PM
I wish I could find the newspaper article but there was a bit of a stir a few years ago in the nyc old head courier community when the former owner of musicman got busted robbing a bank. if i recall correctly they were lenient on him for coming back and returning the money

pbarry
12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Maybe one more reason to do your own maintenance on your bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on.

weaponsgrade
12-12-2014, 07:33 PM
So am I correct in reading that the guy's name is "Justice" and he was riding a "STEALman?" Someone help me with making a bad pun.

rilz
12-12-2014, 09:25 PM

I was wondering this myself and I would certainly believe it.

fogrider
12-12-2014, 11:29 PM
sounds like he needed a travel bike...but really he needed something that wouldn't stand out...I would have gone with and old trek or specialized. for that matter, both...I would stash a backup bike around the corner just in case. In fact, I would have gone with a gravel grinder or even a cross bike...but really he needed something that could not be traced! so in the end, the Steelman helped to get Justice!

Dead Man
12-13-2014, 12:22 AM
I've also wondered just how he kept the bike.... I mean, did he really just leave his Steelman leaning against the wall outside the bank? Or did he lock it up somewhere? You'd think you wouldn't want to waste a bunch of time trying to unlock your bike with a fistful of 5,000 robbed dollars in your hand, but you definitely don't want your bike getting jacked either.... what's a guy to do?

Munger
12-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Not on that bike, unless you steal a few pedals, too.

I'm keeping my pedals hidden, they would allow my bike to be easily traced back to me!:no:

"In a nearby creekbed, Justice ditched a custom-made, $3,000 orange Brent Steelman racing bike with blue pedals, cycling cleats and sports sunglasses, police said".

Slonie
01-29-2019, 08:02 PM
This is back in the news today thanks to an *excellent* Chicago Magazine piece (which is sure to be optioned for a major motion picture soon)...

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2019/Bicycle-Bank-Robber-Tom-Justice/

So my question is, what happened to the bike? I read on Twitter that somebody on the Paceline knows its whereabouts, but I couldn't find the thread in question...

azrider
01-29-2019, 08:32 PM
So my question is, what happened to the bike? I read on Twitter that somebody on the Paceline knows its whereabouts, but I couldn't find the thread in question...

Post #26

zmudshark
01-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Has to be a better story than 'The Mule'.

93KgBike
01-29-2019, 09:05 PM
This is back in the news today thanks to an *excellent* Chicago Magazine piece (which is sure to be optioned for a major motion picture soon)...

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2019/Bicycle-Bank-Robber-Tom-Justice/

Truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Wow, that is some read. The author has definitely got a script in him, it's very well written. Thanks for the link.

slowpoke
01-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Thanks for sharing this story Slonie! First time I read about it!

Tom's spree was impressive:

azrider
01-29-2019, 10:19 PM
Truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Wow, that is some read. The author has definitely got a script in him, it's very well written. Thanks for the link.

Agreed. Good read. Not sure if it’s script material but fun read nonetheless

26 heists and only 11 year sentence....THATS crazy

slowpoke
01-29-2019, 10:23 PM
26 heists and only 11 year sentence....THATS crazy

Cooperated with the cops, wasn't violent in his robberies, good lawyer, parents lived next door to the police chief, and from the article he sounds fairly charismatic and good looking.

Andy sti
01-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Tom was a good friend of mine. We raced juniors together both on the road and track. We both lived in Libertyville, although we went to different high schools. He was a good guy. I’ll have to dig up some old pics with him in them.

doomridesout
01-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Wow, no one has posted this, I feel useful:

http://loveandradio.org/2014/08/choir-boy/

A podcast with his story.

8aaron8
01-29-2019, 11:03 PM
Wow, no one has posted this, I feel useful:

http://loveandradio.org/2014/08/choir-boy/

A podcast with his story.

I just saw this revived thread and was going to link this podcast, you beat me to it! One of my favorite episodes of Love and Radio.

Slonie
01-30-2019, 12:25 AM
Post #26

Whew! I fail at reading comprehension. In that case, this *is* the thread I was looking for. Thanks!

buddybikes
01-30-2019, 05:16 AM
Message of the story - learn to be your own mechanic!!!!

soulspinner
01-30-2019, 06:13 AM

SPP

Yup

charliedid
01-30-2019, 06:42 AM
Crazy story

And crazy how connected I am to so much of it. I may have met Tom but didn't know him. I was working at that shop at the time and knew the original owner of that bike and the person who brokered the deal to Tom.

What a world.

PS Andy STI when did you leave the area?

old_fat_and_slow
01-30-2019, 10:12 AM
supposedly this:

http://www.chicagomag.com/images/2019/0219/C201902-Bicycle-Thief-bike.jpg

Jaybee
01-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Thanks for sharing this story Slonie! First time I read about it!

Tom's spree was impressive:

That's a lot of risk for relatively little cash every time. A lot of those individual takes wouldn't have even paid for the bike.

nooneline
01-30-2019, 10:54 AM
There was a podcast in which he told the story, which is a pretty great listen.
But he sounds like a strange, troubled guy, and I hope he's in a better place.

Andy sti
01-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Crazy story

And crazy how connected I am to so much of it. I may have met Tom but didn't know him. I was working at that shop at the time and knew the original owner of that bike and the person who brokered the deal to Tom.

What a world.

PS Andy STI when did you leave the area?

You worked at higher Gear? I worked at Alberto's for a while when the shop was still in Hubbard Woods.

I left the area in 2002 when I moved to Peoria. My parents still live in Libertyville and I was just back in early December for a week.

I always liked riding with Tom. The article is funny though - He was as much an Olympic hopeful as any of us juniors at the time.

charliedid
01-30-2019, 12:10 PM
You worked at higher Gear? I worked at Alberto's for a while when the shop was still in Hubbard Woods.

I left the area in 2002 when I moved to Peoria. My parents still live in Libertyville and I was just back in early December for a week.

I always liked riding with Tom. The article is funny though - He was as much an Olympic hopeful as any of us juniors at the time.

Yep, I worked the first two years or so. We probably crossed paths at some point.

True about the Olympic hopeful bit, as others have pointed out to me already. It adds a bit of drama and intrigue to the story.

Seamus
01-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Just adding on after seeing this story re-surface, but the first time I heard about Tom Justice was in this song:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0Chk0z54KGqbb3MCEpqz1A?si=jBAXQc91SaqnxhYV9ej5mQ

The musician Owen Ashworth supposedly worked with Tom Justice briefly at a theatre in California.

Steelman frame in a creek bed
took the money & you fled.
counted months til they found you
they had your bike they were bound to
26 from here to home
26 no gun just notes
26 without a shot
that's more than Bonnie & Clyde got
you know they called you the Choir Boy
before they had any hints
that you only ever pressed your palms
so you wouldn't leave prints
don't they say you can't go home
Thanksgiving you should have known
read your rights & cuffed face down
in front of Ace Hardware in your hometown
order called & they read your name
on your feet as judgment came
all those times they thought you were praying
Tom you should've been praying
you know they called you the Choir Boy
the way you cleared those safes
but you only ever bowed your head
to keep your face off the tapes
& Tom I heard you were smiling
when the feds rushed in
was it a kind of relief
to pay for your sin

nooneline
01-30-2019, 01:59 PM
One of the things I can't get over about this piece, though, is that the cops keep on referring to him as suuuuuch a good criminal, because of his genius strategies of a) changing clothes and b) leaving the scene of the crime.

Like, that seems like a pretty low bar.

livingminimal
01-30-2019, 02:04 PM
This guy was giving excess money to the poor, homeless and vulnerable. Stealing it from ****ty oligarchs and our corrupt, exploitative banking system. I am sorry he had a drug habit and that that ended up usurping his giveaways to the poor. Dudes my hero. I hope Steelman only helped him under a subpoena and didnt just cooperate at the first blush of a badge.

R3awak3n
01-30-2019, 02:46 PM
supposedly this:

http://www.chicagomag.com/images/2019/0219/C201902-Bicycle-Thief-bike.jpg

police would have probably let him go if he did not have those aweful matching wheels and some black tape. next time..

azrider
01-30-2019, 02:52 PM
This guy was giving excess money to the poor, homeless and vulnerable. Stealing it from ****ty oligarchs and our corrupt, exploitative banking system. I am sorry he had a drug habit and that that ended up usurping his giveaways to the poor. Dudes my hero. I hope Steelman only helped him under a subpoena and didnt just cooperate at the first blush of a badge.

Good grief......:rolleyes:

livingminimal
01-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Good grief......:rolleyes:

Good response. A+!

Jaybee
01-30-2019, 03:02 PM
police would have probably let him go if he did not have those aweful matching wheels and some black tape. next time..

The early 2000s fixie era does not get enough derision for encouraging the rise of powdercoated deep-section aluminum rims.

FWIW, I'd go blue or white tape on this bike to mitigate the Halloween look.

William
01-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Don't go to bed, with no price on your head
No, no, don't do it.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time,
Yeah, don't do it.

And keep your eye on the sparrow.
When the going gets narrow.

Don't do it, don't do it.

Where can I go where the cold winds don't blow,
Now.

Well, well, well.

false_Aest
01-31-2019, 12:40 PM
When I first heard about the story I though, "Hmm, I think I know that bike!"

I read another article and it confirmed that who the original owner was -- he was my GM at another LBS when I was 16 or 17. It was the first custom bike I'd ever seen and I drooled over so much!

Smallish world huh

KJMUNC
01-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Wait, so now stealing is justifiable because you don't like that line of business? Theft is one of the lowest forms of cowardice, especially so when it's driven by ego. This dude is no hero....he's a thief and a coward....nothing more. If this is made into a movie I hope any revenue goes to the victim's of his crimes, not the perp.

Way to ruin a perfectly good thread with your political agenda.

Chapeau :rolleyes:

livingminimal
01-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Wait, so now stealing is justifiable because you don't like that line of business? Theft is one of the lowest forms of cowardice, especially so when it's driven by ego. This dude is no hero....he's a thief and a coward....nothing more. If this is made into a movie I hope any revenue goes to the victim's of his crimes, not the perp.

Way to ruin a perfectly good thread with your political agenda.

Chapeau :rolleyes:

"that line of business"

my dude, banking is a con that we're all guilty of proliferating and allowing to exploit the **** out of us for profit.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2018/04/05/americans-paid-34-billion-in-overdraft-fees-last-year-heres-how-to-stop-the-charges/#f8db0423ce9b

You think that 34b came out of the pockets of people that could afford it? And where do you think it went?

Everything is political. Who was a victim here? Have you heard of the FDIC before?

Hawker
01-31-2019, 02:23 PM
This should definitely be a movie.

Perhaps a sequel of sorts:

"Getting Away"

A small town boy obsessed with his bicycle and winning the Olympics determines he'll never have time to train if he has to work a part-time job at his Father's used car lot. Instead he uses his quick-change skills, determination, and custom bike to obtain money in other ways. He knows this will not only impress his new girlfriend but eventually the entire country when he wins his Olympic Gold Medal. Hilarious hijinks with the local police force ensue.

PS: Minus the orange wheels....that's a great looking bike.

wc1934
01-31-2019, 03:36 PM
"Apparently, [Thomas] was not thinking," - spoken like a true mother.

KJMUNC
01-31-2019, 04:15 PM
"that line of business"

my dude, banking is a con that we're all guilty of proliferating and allowing to exploit the **** out of us for profit.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2018/04/05/americans-paid-34-billion-in-overdraft-fees-last-year-heres-how-to-stop-the-charges/#f8db0423ce9b

You think that 34b came out of the pockets of people that could afford it? And where do you think it went?

Everything is political. Who was a victim here? Have you heard of the FDIC before?

Wait, this rant is about fees for spending money that's not yours? Personal accountabikity is hard, man.

And if you've ever been robbed you wouldn't scoff at questioning who the victims really are.

Seriously, this isn't a real discussion.