PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY Idea or not?

gmcampy
12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
1986 Raliegh Marathon, Lugged 1" Cro Mo steel....considering modifying frame and fork to accept Disk brakes. Wife says no "new" bikes so I just keep reinventing what I have already. Crazy? Doable? Opinions?

saab2000
12-11-2014, 12:44 PM
1986 Raliegh Marathon, Lugged 1" Cro Mo steel....considering modifying frame and fork to accept Disk brakes. Wife says no "new" bikes so I just keep reinventing what I have already. Crazy? Doable? Opinions?

:eek:

Terrible idea.

Spacing is wrong, tubes are not designed to handle that kind of torque, dropout on the front will throw the wheel, etc.

Move along...

thirdgenbird
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Take a look at the winter serotta. New fork and modified rear triangle. It's probably not ideal, but it is doable with a nice end result. It won't be as cheap as replacing the frame though.

I would consider a front disc. It has crossed my mind. Get a wound up disc fork, caliper, and new front wheel. Most of your braking power is up front and a good caliper providers all the power possible out back. I still debate it. You could even run a nice disc specific carbon clincher up front with a alloy rim out back. Done right, I think it would look at perform nicely.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
:eek:

Terrible idea.

Spacing is wrong, tubes are not designed to handle that kind of torque, dropout on the front will throw the wheel, etc.

Move along...

Concur. I would bet a hard brake effort would bend that fork.

gmcampy
12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Concur. I would bet a hard brake effort would bend that fork.

Thats why yall are the experts! Thanks, I will keep riding it with the rim brakes then...not worth converting to cantis at this point. The brakes are upgraded already so I do have plenty of stopping power, just LIKE the reliability of disks on the Fargo

thirdgenbird
12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157586

gmcampy
12-11-2014, 01:11 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157586

NICE! who did the work Winter Cycles?

jtakeda
12-11-2014, 01:33 PM
NICE! who did the work Winter Cycles?

Yeah, winter (Eric) did the work. Looks like he did a really good job.

RedRider
12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah, winter (Eric) did the work. Looks like he did a really good job.

What Eric did looks great and he was working with a Serotta not a 30 year old Raleigh.
The cost in having Eric or another framebuilder on his level do the conversion would probably exceed the price of a new disk frame.

thirdgenbird
12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
What Eric did looks great and he was working with a Serotta not a 30 year old Raleigh.
The cost in having Eric or another framebuilder on his level do the conversion would probably exceed the price of a new disk frame.

Absolutely. I already covered that in my first post. Cheaper than a divorce though :)

RedRider
12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Absolutely. I already covered that in my first post. Cheaper than a divorce though :)

Have Eric build you a Winter with disk. Just paint it to match the Raleigh and buy the Marathon decals online...

thirdgenbird
12-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Have Eric build you a Winter with disk. Just paint it to match the Raleigh and buy the Marathon decals online...

You win.

gmcampy
12-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Now we are talking, LOL

jr59
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM

thats a good idea