PDA

View Full Version : OT: D*ckhead Cyclist move

Kirk007
12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Or at least a presumed cyclist, who else would steal the front fork locking clamping mechanism off of a Yakima tandem mount and leave the threaded axle rod behind while your car is parked in a grocery store parking lot?

What the h*ll is wrong with people? If you can afford a bike and a car and a car rack tray you can afford to buy your own frickin' clamping mechanism, don't shaft someone else.

rant over.

jtakeda
12-10-2014, 07:37 PM
It could be a crackhead/drug addict. I see them on market st. all the time and they seem to steal the most bizarre things.

teleguy57
12-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Kirk007, long story but I have an extra skewer and locking mechanism for a Forklift. PM me if you think it might be compatible with your mount.

David Kirk
12-10-2014, 07:43 PM
That blows. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Never underestimate how low some can go.

dave

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Or at least a presumed cyclist, who else would steal the front fork locking clamping mechanism off of a Yakima tandem mount and leave the threaded axle rod behind while your car is parked in a grocery store parking lot?

What the h*ll is wrong with people? If you can afford a bike and a car and a car rack tray you can afford to buy your own frickin' clamping mechanism, don't shaft someone else.

rant over.

no different than someone stealing the rack off a friends roof or the dirt bag that took my wifes rear rack and dual grocery panniers while the bikes was locked up in the walkway between the two hospitals where she works on a path that only employees travel. stealing someone commuter gear? really?

If I saw that happening I would go all guns of navarone on them

mtb_frk
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Someone stole a bb7 brake caliper off my bike once. I left the bike on the car at a hotel which I never do, came out in the morning and it was gone. I guess in Canada a 5mm Allen wrench is more common than here in michigan.

weaponsgrade
12-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Somebody once stole the rear wheel ratcheting strap off the bike tray of my Yakima roof rack. This happened at work while my car was parked in the company garage. Luckily they only got one and not the other because the track of one of the trays had (luckily?) been damaged in a bike vs drive through carport accident. And the strap couldn't be removed without removing the whole tray. Anyway, someone was probably pissed that I called them out for not using the new covers on the TPS reports.

Peter P.
12-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I once had both skewers stolen from my bike.

gasman
12-10-2014, 10:33 PM

rant over.

You deserve to rant. Jerks everywhere.

TMB
12-10-2014, 10:59 PM

shovelhd
12-11-2014, 08:48 AM
A few years ago some d*ck stole the Quarq off a bike locked into a Thule roof rack. Right in broad daylight in a busy parking lot. I never heard how it ended up but at least the crank has a unique ANT+ ID so there is a chance for recovery.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Every now and then some news source in NYC parks a bicycle on the street in Manhattan as bait, and, sure enough, within minutes the vultures descend. It doesn't take long for just the frame to exist, as it was the only thing locked to whatever. I've actually seen it happen every now and then. Usually messengers, or guys dressed as messengers. They are fast.

In the eighties (pre Guilliani) there was a totally stripped frame locked to a no parking sign almost in the middle of Times Square for years, and I'm not exaggerating. Maybe five years. Saw it on my way to work almost every day. It was a pathetic site, but, funny, at the same time.

Kirk007
12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Kirk007, long story but I have an extra skewer and locking mechanism for a Forklift. PM me if you think it might be compatible with your mount.

Thanks - helping to restore my view of mankind, one forum member at a time. I'll check and appreciate the offer; its not the economic loss, its a first world problem in that respect. Its just one more disappointment in a series of disappointments this week in how we humans act and the projectory we're on.

brando
12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Can't keep lights from getting stolen off my commuter so I attach them to my helmet now. People! :banana:

MattTuck
12-11-2014, 12:37 PM
That sucks. Stealing is never ok.

Here's a video of some mob justice against a bike thief. Won't make you feel better, but maybe that thief will think twice next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aef6fKBXFo

zmudshark
12-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a Yakima stand up mount on the roof of my car, one of those ones that clamps the down tube.

Parked the car, went for a ride, came back and went to put my bike on the roof. Took me a while to register what had happened. Sometime stole the lock core right out of the mount while it was on the car, in a busy public parking lot.In the GWN? In AZ I can see that happening, but in the GWN? :confused:

TMB
12-11-2014, 04:04 PM

unterhausen
12-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I had a guy steal my wheels at a race one time, then we found out who he was and finally got them back. He complained that the tires were cheap and went flat too easily

But I think a lot of these thefts mentioned in this thread are probably people that are going to sell the parts for metal scrap.