PDA

View Full Version : Paris Roubaix viewing advice

kgreene10
12-10-2014, 05:57 PM
We are planning a trip to see The Hell of the North and I could use advice on the best viewing spot or spots. We will be driving from Paris with our three year old.

Should we pick one spot and stay or drive between locations to see the race pass more than once?

Also, if anyone has done the Paris Roubaix challenge, was it worth it? I'm sure it would be a huge thrill but it's not worth a nasty crash for me - we will be at the start of a three week vacation and I can't ruin it with a broken collarbone.

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 06:17 PM
I have heard from others there isnt a convenient parallel road so trying to get to a second spot isnt easy...plus the people already waiting there arent going to just let you slide in, toddler or not.

as big a deal as it is, I would vote just to pick one place and see what you can see. and that one place would surely be on a secteur. unless the wife is an avid fan too, you will be burning up more chips rushing around than IMHO are worth it.

asking a youngster to sit out there for a few hours and wait? not gonna happen.

PM enr1co about riding P-R. joostx is also planning to ride it next year.

Lionel
12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Best spot is in front of a TV.

And yes P-R challenge is worth it.

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Best spot is in front of a TV. And yes P-R challenge is worth it.

I should also ask - have you been to many pro races before? if not, it's a lot of waiting. possibly a party while waiting. then the flash as they go by.

unless you have a pro photo set up, just turn on your video cam and watch it with your eyes. its gone in a flash.

is it worth it? for fans yes. but its a long day. and if miserable, I'd vote for the TV too

FlashUNC
12-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Roubaix is all about the cobbles. So you'll be spending all day in someone's field in the middle of nowhere waiting for some bikes to come by in a few minutes flash in terrible weather, likely knee deep in cow and pig poop....

Yeah, ride the sportive and watch the race at a bar.

firerescuefin
12-10-2014, 07:02 PM
KGreene,

I have a friend who is an avid cyclist and K-9 Cop in Amsterdam. He also happens to speak better English than I do. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch.

Geoff

gavingould
12-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Best spot is in front of a TV.

And yes P-R challenge is worth it.
this is probably pretty dead-on. unless you have a local fixer who knows the route and how to get around it that will take you to multiple spots.

i saw Ronde van Vlaanderen back in April - as there's a loop in the route, we were able to see the race go by 3x (and women 2x) at the top of the Oude Kwaremont. Flanders Classic VIP was a mind-blowing setup, way beyond what i'd expected. contemplated sticking around for P-R but probably would have been disappointed. someday i'd like to go back and catch both races with a group and maybe ride one or both of the sportives.

RedRider
12-10-2014, 10:47 PM
The best spot at Paris-Roubaix is on the top step of the podium holding a piece of pave in your hands...