PDA

View Full Version : Crank Squeak (or Squeaky Crank)?

jmeloy
12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi all,
Shimano Ultegra 11 crank with less than 500 miles on it. Last couple of rides I've noticed a squeak as I come over the top on the non-drive side from about 1-10 o'clock (looking from side and counter clockwise). Thought it was in the pedal but tried one legged and it still was there. Thoughts for me?
Thanks!

Cicli
12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I have seen that complaint turn out to be anything from a saddle, skewers, bar/stem, seatpost or clamp,bottom bracket, busted frame to a cable ferrule rubbing in tbe stop. We need more info. More info sir.

Antonio_B
12-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Remove crank...clean and grease. Remove headset bearings...clean and grease. Remove seatpost/clamp...clean and grease.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi all,
Shimano Ultegra 11 crank with less than 500 miles on it. Last couple of rides I've noticed a squeak as I come over the top on the non-drive side from about 1-10 o'clock (looking from side and counter clockwise). Thought it was in the pedal but tried one legged and it still was there. Thoughts for me?
Thanks!

Ride w/o cycling shoes-still there?
-swap pedals-still there?
-swap rear wheel-still there?
-OVH BB//lotsa grease in BB shell, on spindle..torque to spec.

Something with the same frequency as pedal stroke(probably not chain/link, etc)

still there? Hold bike real close to computer to make the noise..noises can be vexing...

use a ipod...

berserk87
12-13-2014, 03:51 PM
One thing to check that is "low hanging fruit" is the chainring bolts. Oddly enough, I checked mine today and all 5 were loose. I tightened them and this took away a squeaking issue that had been lingering for a few weeks. It may not be this, but it's a super easy fix if it is.

jmeloy
12-14-2014, 10:18 PM
So, got a new thought. New shoe covers and rode a second bike and heard a bit of the same. Investigating further.