PDA

View Full Version : UPS Delivering by Bicycle

Don49
12-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Moments ago I received a package from Amazon delivered via UPS 2nd Day Air. I opened my front door and there was a guy on a bike, safety vest, orange bike helmet, pulling a trailer full of packages. I didn't have a chance to talk to him, but when did UPS start with the bikes? Drones are next? But this has to be good for our image as bicyclists.

kramnnim
12-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Wow, cool. Was he wearing brown?

Cicli
12-10-2014, 04:27 PM
That's cool.

Was it a fixie? Was he wearing skinny jeans and a flannel?

Don49
12-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I believe he was wearing brown. But in all the excitement, I just can't recall. I'll have to order something else and see if I can get a shot.

No fixie, mtn bike I think.

cp43
12-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Do you live in the Northern California? I heard a couple years ago that UPS delivers by bike this time of year in the San Jose area. It works because it's pretty flat, usually good weather, and fairly densely populated. So they do it to help with the rush of packages for the holidays.

Chris

sw3759
12-10-2014, 04:40 PM
afaik UPS has been using them for 10-15 years and only in certain urban areas around the country and not used year around.i know they were around when i worked for UPS in 2000.so not sure how much they have been in use since i left.

Don49
12-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Do you live in the Northern California? Ventura 93003, urban but not especially dense.

cassa
12-10-2014, 04:50 PM
afaik UPS has been using them for 10-15 years
According to the timeline/poster I saw at the UPS office the other day, they started as a messenger service using bikes.

That's confirmed on their website (http://www.ups.com/content/corp/about/history/1929.html).

ultraman6970
12-10-2014, 04:51 PM
WOw... cheaper hire people in a bike than spend in fuel maybe? Probably is because of the season?

Going to be interesting but can you imagine that service in hills of SF? :D

Tony T
12-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Amazon apparently testing bike couriers for some Manhattan deliveries (http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/08/amazon-nyc-bike-couriers/)

While Amazon deals with regulatory hurdles for its drone-based rapid delivery service, it's apparently testing an option that's a bit more, well, human in the meantime. The shopping juggernaut is holding time-trials for bike messengers in New York

ultraman6970
12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
If they do bike delivery in my area, I know there's a distribution center close, I'm going for it... lose weight, get paid and ride the bike what else you can ask? :P

Tony T
12-10-2014, 06:22 PM
If they do bike delivery in my area, I know there's a distribution center close, I'm going for it... lose weight, get paid and ride the bike what else you can ask? :P

Amazon: "What's it pay to live out your wildest Premium Rush fantasies? "Around" $15 per hour and shifts are eight hours long, which comes out to about $120 each day and some $2,400 for a month of five-day work weeks."

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Do you live in the Northern California? I heard a couple years ago that UPS delivers by bike this time of year in the San Jose area. It works because it's pretty flat, usually good weather, and fairly densely populated. So they do it to help with the rush of packages for the holidays.
Chris

during the holidays it's common to see a UPS trailer parked in the neighborhood and a guy on a bike with a crazy tow/basket set up hauling stuff around.

this is not high density here...but its been this way the past 2-3 years

gemship
12-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Very cool to hear. I have actually wanted to pull a trailer for quite some time.

This proves the point that bikes aren't just for fitness or kids toys.

For me pulling a trailer would save thousands of dollars over getting a second car. You can go to the laundry mat, grocery shopping for a whole week among other things.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2014, 06:40 AM
WOw... cheaper hire people in a bike than spend in fuel maybe? Probably is because of the season?

Going to be interesting but can you imagine that service in hills of SF? :D

Wonder if they are a Teamsters member.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-11-2014, 06:51 AM
All employees (not management, or outside contractors) of UPS are Teamsters. UPS got it's start delivering packages by bicycle.

tuscanyswe
12-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Ive been delivering ups on a bike for close to 10 years. Granted not in US and as a subcontractor but still.

JAllen
01-08-2015, 12:28 PM
This is great! We have a couple delivery by bike services in inner Portland (not counting the several messengers too). I would love to see more of it in more cities. :)

christian
01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Ive been delivering ups on a bike for close to 10 years.Brunbjörn, med andra ord.

torquer
01-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Here's a posting from SLO a few seasons ago:
http://slobikelane.org/ups-seeks-bicycle-delivery-positions/
But this could be a poison pill for me: "A mustache is OK but no hair is allowed below the upper lip."
Definitely would decimate the ranks of candidates in the Brooklyn/Portland axis of hipness.

MattTuck
01-08-2015, 06:02 PM
So, I wonder if one of their riders needs a new bicycle, and they order it, ship it by UPS and damage the frame in shipment. UPS filing a claim against UPS... someone's head would explode.