PDA

View Full Version : Roller Races

redir
12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Have any of you guys ever done this before? It's a hoot. I've been riding rollers for years but these are different. The rollers are weighted so you get a flywheel effect and can actually coast giving you a real road feel to them. The races were 1k time trials then double elimination. The first race I started to to wobble and had to back off, if you crash on these it can be a bit more spectacular then normal rollers :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-60d7a_Rmo3M/VIhbcBcuHDI/AAAAAAAALjU/Mz0pfQysVYI/w1358-h764-no/20141209_204734.jpg

After the races :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--Q08DUJqWJ4/VIhbcLkUOkI/AAAAAAAALjU/GcwBdGsfzWY/w1358-h764-no/20141209_204655.jpg

foo_fighter
12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Seems like you should stagger them so that you don't take out the guy next to you if you crash. Those are TruTrainers right?

Ti Designs
12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Seems like you should stagger them so that you don't take out the guy next to you if you crash.

Don't crash...

pbarry
12-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Awesome! Used to do the roller races at The Bicycle Exchange. Are you using digital read-out, or a two hands analog "clock"? The flywheel seems like it would have advantages and disadvantages.

Roller races should be catching on with bearded-trucker-hat-wearing-micro-brew-drinking-fixie riders; and that would be all good by me. Do it in Vegas and there could be betting involved.

Ti Designs
12-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Awesome! Used to do the roller races at The Bicycle Exchange.

Then there's at least a 50% chance that you've used my rollers - when the store on Bow street closed Wheelworks bought them, but other than John Allis and myself, nobody was interested in doing the races. Who had the record back then? I know John was in the 38's, but Rob Butler may have been a bit faster.

sokyroadie
12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Years ago late (70's early 80's)we used to do them in a large Shopping Mall on a raised platform, there were some very surprised shoppers. I remember some VERY high heart rates. Those were the side by side clocks which showed who was ahead.

Good Times.

Jeff

pbarry
12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Then there's at least a 50% chance that you've used my rollers - when the store on Bow street closed Wheelworks bought them, but other than John Allis and myself, nobody was interested in doing the races. Who had the record back then? I know John was in the 38's, but Rob Butler may have been a bit faster.

I was pack fodder back then, early 90's--before learning to ride quickly as a messenger, and giving up the 'idea' of LSD: [not] Long Slow Distance. Never made it past the semifinals. JA and I were never paired up but, John was known to me as we used to cross paths on the western boundary of Mass. Ave. while commuting. As far as times? No idea. Just watched the red and blue hands and hoped to be ahead..

pbarry
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Years ago late (70's early 80's)we used to do them in a large Shopping Mall on a raised platform, there were some very surprised shoppers. I remember some VERY high heart rates. Those were the side by side clocks which showed who was ahead.

Good Times.

Jeff

Love it! In my book, that was the pinnacle period for committed cyclists in the U.S. Mocked, derided, questioned about the sport. It was so fringe, and if you were into it, you didn't care. Post George Mount, before LeMond, before Trek became a huge player. 1-2 choices for any component or clothing item. :)

dustyrider
12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
These were popular in the NW when I lived up there 05ish, but I seemed to always find myself in a roller race while in the midst of a spirited libation tasting run....they're so much fun except the puking part.

Peter P.
12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Yeah; those are TruTrainer rollers. How amazing are they? After I let 2 friends try mine, they bought their own.

redir
12-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Yeah TruTrainiers and they are hooked up to a computer which projects to a screen so you can see the times. We had a good audience that night too it's definitely a spectator friendly event.

Pschnei3
12-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah TruTrainiers and they are hooked up to a computer which projects to a screen so you can see the times. We had a good audience that night too it's definitely a spectator friendly event.

This sounds like a good time.