PDA

View Full Version : What is better – Shamino or Campy?

Kurt
12-11-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah Baby!

flydhest
12-11-2003, 12:51 PM
lol

Sandy
12-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Flydhest,

"To brake is to admit defeat." Actually, to brake is to slow down and/or stop.

Still Serotta Sandy

jason
12-11-2003, 04:50 PM
A cycling message board would not be complete without this old chestnut of a question. Serotta, consider yourself born again and duly christened.
I think the two should merge and become Campano.........or Shimolo. Then choosing would be easy. I call it the Einstein Principle. You may have heard of him, he was quite smart. Every morning he would open his wardrobe and put on the 'same' shirt, the 'same' trousers, and the 'same' jacket before going off to solve the great questions of the universe. Well, not the exact same shirt, trousers and jacket you understand. He always bought several examples of the same garment when clothes shopping so that there would be more time every day for real thinking and less time wasted on choosing what to wear. I guess the analogy is more time riding and less time contemplating what to ride, unless it's a horse. Tricky things horses. It's all about temperament. An Italian stallion perhaps? Umm, do they have horses (indigenous) in Japan?
I would recommend Campano,...... or maybe Shimolo? You see, wasting time already. Whichever you choose keep it well oiled and it will give you many years of loyal service. I don't think it's a life changing decision though. Talking of which, yes......the Legend,.......or perhaps the Concours. Umm,..... where's Albert?

Cheers, Jason.

Cheers, Jason.

gt6267a
12-11-2003, 10:28 PM
tastes great !

TmcDet
12-11-2003, 11:01 PM
assuming Campy taste great would that make Shimano less filling?

Too Tall
12-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Were it so the world would only be black and white and the "Hail Mary" pass would not exist.

DOOD! That is sooooo practical. I *think some of us find a great deal of satisfaction in the process of searching for bits and pieces. It's the process and the end result that's between my slice of bread thanks.

What do I use? Bothofem' and sometimes bothofemtogether.

jason
12-12-2003, 07:22 AM
"bothofemtogether"- exactly my point, a merger.

MartyE
12-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Suntour

Marty

dbrk
12-12-2003, 08:12 AM
I have only one modern bike with a "dedicated" group (where all the parts come from Campagnolo). It's a modest mission for me not to let a bike become mono-grouped, but I do this 'cause I prefer other parts. Living where I do now, using a 135bcd crank (like Campag) makes no sense for the small ring, so there goes the crankset. If I can get old Mavic or Suntour brakes, I prefer those. I nearly always use a Shimano compatible 9spd rear hub because they would just fine with Campagnolo 9shifters and the move to 10 interests me not in the least. I use any front derailleur that is on sale and never buy Record or DA because there is NO WAY it works better than Centaur or Ultegra. Short of the peril posed by using your forefinger, there are few things simpler (or more ingenius) than a front derailleur.

BackThen you could mix nearly any parts: TA, Zeus, Huret, Simplex, Mavic, Suntour, Gipiemme, all of this stuff in friction gave us real options. While we can say that innovations have left others behind and made things "better" we certainly have fewer options and more willingness on the parts of Campag-nano to make their stuff only work with their own stuff.

just say "no" to dedication,

dbrk

victoryfactory
12-12-2003, 08:44 AM
DBRK:
your mention of Zeus really brings back memories.
In 1973 my first "high end" bike was a Zeus. I was thrilled to have their groupo which was an almost exact copy of some Italian company's parts (i forget the name)
for half the price! I rode that bike from New York to San Fransisco in the summer of1980
This 30 year old bike is still intact, all original parts and paint and ridden regularly by a guy in San Fransisco, since he bought it 15 years ago.
Ironically, this same guy just bought my Concours CS frame after I moved up to a Legend this year.

Victory Factory, boring, but true

dnovo
12-12-2003, 03:10 PM
What is interesting that the more 'traditional' of these two builders hasn't revived the more traditional aspect of their components. When I built up my Rivendell Custom, I went Campy Chorus, except for brakes. Campy no longer makes a long or medium reach road caliper. Shimano has recently re-introduced them, so my otherwise 'pure' Campy bike is now an example of an intermingling of the species.

Mongrel! But I still love it, hard not to when it presses its wet nose against my cheek. Dave N.

GuyGadois
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I wanted to bump this topic to see if the OP question has been answered

GG

PS: In reality I just feel left out with everyone else bumping really old posts.

I Want Sachs?
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
SRAM was not a huge part of the discussion back then.

MadRocketSci
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
i don't remember anyone named Campy in the Ultima series. That said i liked Iolo better than Shamino....triple crossbow rocks.

bicycletricycle
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
suntour is nice

54ny77
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
i prefer non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

suntour is nice

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Dara-Arse rocks.

COYO1
11-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Depends upon the application:) Suntour XC Pro worked really well on me ole' Fat chance Wicked:rolleyes:

victoryfactory
11-07-2012, 05:10 PM
DBRK:
your mention of Zeus really brings back memories.
In 1973 my first "high end" bike was a Zeus. I was thrilled to have their groupo which was an almost exact copy of some Italian company's parts (i forget the name)
for half the price! I rode that bike from New York to San Fransisco in the summer of1980
This 30 year old bike is still intact, all original parts and paint and ridden regularly by a guy in San Fransisco, since he bought it 15 years ago.
Ironically, this same guy just bought my Concours CS frame after I moved up to a Legend this year.

Victory Factory, boring, but true

I'm still riding that same Legend 9 years later.
I told you I was boring...

VF

Llewellyn
11-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I wanted to bump this topic to see if the OP question has been answered

A bump!!!!

This is more like an exhumation :eek: