PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying 80s Eddy Merckx

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Just took a flyer on a bike. Seller said it is a 1982. He did not know the model. It looks to be all original with Campagnolo Record and Eddy Merckx on the seat post, stem, and chainrings. The hubs say campagnolo record with mavic g40s. Frame has rust on it but the parts look to be in great condition.

Any specifics and value range would be much appreciated.

velomateo
12-09-2014, 05:40 PM
That looks to be a Corsa or an old Professional. Your bottom bracket is too dirty, for me, to make out the stampings there. Try here, http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/ , for identification using serial number/letters.

Good catch on the bike though. With all that panto stuff, it will be sweet once it's cleaned up.

Please post more pics as you get it sorted out.

jtakeda
12-09-2014, 05:49 PM
I'd say its a professional, Corsas usually have the driveside chainstay chromed.

With no BB drilling and a painted chainstay I'd say its more likely a professional

velomateo
12-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah, that's true. I don't recall ever seeing a Corsa with the cables run on the top of the bottom bracket either.

gomango
12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
I'd say its a professional, Corsas usually have the driveside chainstay chromed.

With no BB drilling and a painted chainstay I'd say its more likely a professional

True.

Cable guide running over the bb shell is another give away.

ultraman6970
12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
says 3432...

Value? who knows... for how much did you get it if its possible to know?

Good news is that can be sandblasted and repainted in one color again, easy paint job.

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
So it looks like a 1982 professional.

Columbus SL? Sticker is gone.

Would the grouppo be Campagnolo Record, C Record, or anything else? Some items say Record others just say BREV.

E
3432 is stamped on the BB.

velomateo
12-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Record group.

jtakeda
12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
That's without a doubt a vintage super record group. Look for the "pat xx"
On the rear derailleur. It's likely all the parts were bought at the same time and it would be a safe guess to say the entire group is the same year as the rear der

Frame wise 82 would be my guess well as columbus SL

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2014, 06:04 PM
That's without a doubt a vintage super record group. Look for the "pat xx"
On the rear derailleur. It's likely all the parts were bought at the same time and it would be a safe guess to say the entire group is the same year as the rear der

Frame wise 82 would be my guess well as columbus SL

thank you
it does have "pat xx" stamped on the RD

gomango
12-09-2014, 07:33 PM
says 3432...

Value? who knows... for how much did you get it if its possible to know?

Good news is that can be sandblasted and repainted in one color again, easy paint job.

Certainly not enough evidence for a repaint.

I 've seen much worse get rescued by an oxalic acid bath.

That paint is original once.

jet sanchez
12-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Buy it.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah, that's true. I don't recall ever seeing a Corsa with the cables run on the top of the bottom bracket either.

I sold one not too long ago.

Altho there were 'models', there was a lot of variation. Corsa with flat fork crown BUT, some with semi-sloping. Some chrome this and that.

Early 80s for sure(no Merckx before 1980, made in Belgium, Falcon only).

Early Corsa or Professional. Paint, and clean up, it will be a really nice ride.

lhuerta
12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
1982 seems about right...an early Professional with SL tubing. The rust seems far along on the top tube cable guide....hard to tell from pic but it appears rust has eaten through the trailing edge of cable guide? You will want to remove BB and seatpost and see if rust is heavy inside as well. The panto SR chainring and stem are a great find. Give it a good cleaning and assess the rust...then send it to Allen Wanta and get it resprayed.

As for the value...? It is worth what you paid for it....I wouldn't go higher then $750 given the condition, but would want to have a better assessment of the rust.

Nice find, Lou

Rebel_Biker
12-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone
Paceline member are always a wealth of knowledge and appreciated.

ecaspole
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I have one sort of like this I bought used several years ago. Mine has the same BB shell and frame lug cutout work like yours. Mine had the "Faema" team style red/white paint when I got it, and a generic Columbus sticker. The guy I bought it from thought it was 83 or 84.

From a lot of reading bits and pieces on the web, it seems these early Merckx's were built under the direction of DeRosa when he was helping Merckx set up shop in the first two years of production. I had read that the flat fork crown is a typical DeRosa thing. Later steel models even from the 7-11 era have a different fork crown.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2014, 06:00 AM
I have one sort of like this I bought used several years ago. Mine has the same BB shell and frame lug cutout work like yours. Mine had the "Faema" team style red/white paint when I got it, and a generic Columbus sticker. The guy I bought it from thought it was 83 or 84.

From a lot of reading bits and pieces on the web, it seems these early Merckx's were built under the direction of DeRosa when he was helping Merckx set up shop in the first two years of production. I had read that the flat fork crown is a typical DeRosa thing. Later steel models even from the 7-11 era have a different fork crown.

That is correct. All the Molteni team Merckx's, before 1980, were made by DeRosa. Hence the similarity to DeRosa geometry, etc.

El Chaba
12-11-2014, 06:26 AM
I sold one not too long ago.

Altho there were 'models', there was a lot of variation. Corsa with flat fork crown BUT, some with semi-sloping. Some chrome this and that.

Early 80s for sure(no Merckx before 1980, made in Belgium, Falcon only).

Early Corsa or Professional. Paint, and clean up, it will be a really nice ride.

Merckx licensed his name prior to his retirement and setting up his own factory.....Some were made in England by Falcon and some were made in Belgium by Kessels.
The DeRosa/Merckx collaboration/friendship goes back a long way. As was pointed out, DeRosa made the Merckx-labelled bikes for Molteni.....and deRosa *may* have even made some frames individually for Eddy prior to that wound up in Peugeot paint. Ugo DeRosa did help set up the Eddy Merckx atelier and in fact remained as a consultant up until the end of Eddy's direct ownership.
I have always had the desire to get a solid older deRosa with tatty paint and re-finish it as a "Peugeot" and build it with all of the proper period French bits.....

oldpotatoe
12-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Merckx licensed his name prior to his retirement and setting up his own factory.....Some were made in England by Falcon and some were made in Belgium by Kessels.
The DeRosa/Merckx collaboration/friendship goes back a long way. As was pointed out, DeRosa made the Merckx-labelled bikes for Molteni.....and deRosa *may* have even made some frames individually for Eddy prior to that wound up in Peugeot paint. Ugo DeRosa did help set up the Eddy Merckx atelier and in fact remained as a consultant up until the end of Eddy's direct ownership.
I have always had the desire to get a solid older deRosa with tatty paint and re-finish it as a "Peugeot" and build it with all of the proper period French bits.....

I've seen one Falcon/Kessels(you are correct) Reynolds 531 Merckx. Rest are pretty crappy. Have you ever seen a 531 Falcon Merckx? I have always heard they are great frames.

El Chaba
12-11-2014, 06:38 AM
I've seen one Falcon/Kessels(you are correct) Reynolds 531 Merckx. Rest are pretty crappy. Have you ever seen a 531 Falcon Merckx? I have always heard they are great frames.

I think the Falcon-made bikes were generally a cut above the Kessels made bikes. Falcon made some pretty decent bikes IMHO and were great for the money. Out there in Colorado, you had a fair chance to see a few Kessels bikes as there was a Dutch gentleman with a shop in Denver who imported some....Many of the Kessels bikes were straight guage/seamed tubing affairs with cottered steel cranks and plastic Simplex derailleurs, but I have seen a couple nicer Kessels/Merckx bikes...one with 531, and one with Super Vitus...

oldpotatoe
12-11-2014, 06:41 AM
I think the Falcon-made bikes were generally a cut above the Kessels made bikes. Falcon made some pretty decent bikes IMHO and were great for the money. Out there in Colorado, you had a fair chance to see a few Kessels bikes as there was a Dutch gentleman with a shop in Denver who imported some....Many of the Kessels bikes were straight guage/seamed tubing affairs with cottered steel cranks and plastic Simplex derailleurs, but I have seen a couple nicer Kessels/Merckx bikes...one with 531, and one with Super Vitus...

Remember shop/gent's name?

El Chaba
12-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Remember shop/gent's name?

Big Wheel Bikes (aka "The Flying Dutchman")... I think the man's last name was Van Gent.....

Tandem Rider
12-11-2014, 05:11 PM
I had a couple of friends with the Falcon made Eddy's back in the mid 70's. I am remembering straight gauge 531, plastic Simplex derailleurs, Stronglight 3 pin cranks, tubulars, etc.

maxcolumbus
04-09-2021, 01:07 PM
I need help identifying this Corsa.
It's a bit rough granted but what's the deal with this BB shell?
It looks like a De Rosa style lug but there are no cable guides on the bottom or top. So I am assuming a bolt on Campagnolo guide was used. I have done some searching and have not seen one example of a bolt on set up.
Iy looks legit to me except for this issue
Modification or a fake?

Hindmost
04-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Try this thread for info:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2902473&highlight=Merckx#post2902473

Regarding bottom bracket cable guides, there was a period when Alan (or Vitus?) plastic guides were snapped on.

maxcolumbus
04-09-2021, 01:46 PM
Try this thread for info:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2902473&highlight=Merckx#post2902473

Regarding bottom bracket cable guides, there was a period when Alan plastic guides were snapped on.

Thanks!!

maxcolumbus
04-09-2021, 01:58 PM
This would be the one.. thanks.