PDA

View Full Version : Got 4.2 miles in today

p nut
12-09-2014, 03:01 PM
I keep an old Trek at work. Hung up on the wall, it serves as a conversation piece and I occasionally ride it during lunch, but only up and down the street--never far. Today, it was approaching 55-60 degrees and since I usually don't get to ride during the weekday, I set out on a ~15 miler at lunch. Only I forgot my pump and patch kit. Feeling brave and trusting the Gatorskins to fend off shrapnel, I set out anyway. Haven't gotten a flat yet on these tires, so felt ok about it.

2.1 miles in, I hear "crunch, crunch, crunch". Look down and something is stuck to the side of the tire. Stop and fears confirmed. 9-10 all around the tire. And the thing has the audacity to give me the finger.

Pedal fast back to the office below going completely flat. Got sweaty just enough to stink.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/shinpaul/9DB629A6-42D9-44B3-A4C8-5563A07F13EA.jpg

MattTuck
12-09-2014, 03:11 PM
That does suck. But, I'm having trouble feeling bad for you. It is 27 degrees, dealing with a nor'easter. 5 or 6 inches of snow thus far. I worked from home, and got in an hour on the trainer at lunch. 2x20 workout.

Current view of the conditions. :banana: :help:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q1PiFICxLVc/VIdk2nigYCI/AAAAAAAAHR0/LPzW8RgBHrc/w1117-h629-no/IMG_20141209_160814018.jpg

Ralph
12-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Got in 40. Perfect 60 's weather.

R3awak3n
12-09-2014, 03:35 PM
ah, I broke my ankle this weekend so I dont feel bad for any of you guys. Everything but being in bed and couch all day sounds awesome to me.

gemship
12-09-2014, 03:49 PM
a couple of inches of heavy rain here in eastern Ma. and I have cracked/bruised ribs nine days and counting from crashing a boat.

I live in envy of you Ralph:bike:

Ralph
12-09-2014, 04:05 PM
a couple of inches of heavy rain here in eastern Ma. and I have cracked/bruised ribs nine days and counting from crashing a boat.

I live in envy of you Ralph:bike:

I moved from the NC mountains to Florida almost 50 years ago, after college, and not one time ever wanted to move back north. Since I've been retired 16 years, and can live anywhere in USA I wish, have considered Colorado, which we visit a lot, but Florida life is "just so easy".

thunderworks
12-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Got in 40. Perfect 60 's weather.

OK, so you guys in Florida can thumb your weather nose at most of us who live in crummy winter climates . . . but OTOH, you live in Florida! Every time I've visited someone in Florida, I wonder why anyone would ride a bike there. It's mostly ugly and flat, way too much traffic, and frankly just doesn't look appealing.

fogrider
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Just got back from a 15 miler up San Bruno Mountain...as far as mountains go, its tiny, but its a nice lunch time ride. wide shoulders and few cars.

Ralph
12-09-2014, 05:26 PM
OK, so you guys in Florida can thumb your weather nose at most of us who live in crummy winter climates . . . but OTOH, you live in Florida! Every time I've visited someone in Florida, I wonder why anyone would ride a bike there. It's mostly ugly and flat, way too much traffic, and frankly just doesn't look appealing.

I've been to every state in USA (Except Hawaii), many of them with a bike. Florida is like every other state in that are good parts for riding, and not so good parts. Unfortunately, cyclists who come to Florida rarely see where the riding is good, rarely ride our hill country, most come as tourists or visit along the coasts. I wouldn't ride around Disney either. And where I live, it's not so flat, not so crowded with cars, and very pretty. Cyclists everywhere. Extensive and growing MUT network for commuting and getting out to country. Live oaks everywhere. Every state has it's charms if you can find them. One thing that is special about where I live is ....life is easy. That's good if you don't work. You folks in northern climes have some crappy winter weather, depending on how far north you are, nice rest of year.

Sorry to hear about your flat. Know you were looking forward to a nice ride.

aramis
12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
ah, I broke my ankle this weekend so I dont feel bad for any of you guys. Everything but being in bed and couch all day sounds awesome to me.

That sucks. Hope it heals quickly.

AustinHorse
12-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Yep! NYC was ˇˇˇˇttttty today! Poured my boots out around 2 pm, so glad I keep toe warmers in my bag

R3awak3n
12-09-2014, 07:37 PM
That sucks. Hope it heals quickly.

thank you! Have to get surgery on it so I will be a useless couch potato for a few months :(

but hey, at least its winter...

johnniecakes
12-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Went for a run at lunch, the weather in eastern PA was mid 30's and rain. Did about 40 minutes, just feels so good to get out of the building and escape the work pressures for a while

josephr
12-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Got sweaty just enough to stink.
[/IMG]

great ride!!!

soulspinner
12-10-2014, 05:33 AM
Got in 20 in 17 degree wind chill...then then a couple Great Lakes brews...still hearing the ping of pebbles on the fenders.

wasfast
12-10-2014, 05:48 AM
I had lots of flats in the past in the PNW but never from goats head thorns. Since being in San Diego, I've found out how nasty those things are. I've seen an entire group have simultaneous flats from them. Bummer on a nice day to have your ride cut short. Next time will be better!

It was 73F at lunch time yesterday. Makes me smile compared to Portland this time of year!

tigoat
12-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Yeah road cycling is such an important part of my life nowadays that I would consider moving to a state where I can road bike pretty much year round without being too hot and too cold. Ideal temps should be in the 40-70F range. Is there such a place in the US? Florida and California are off my list.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2014, 06:06 AM
This

p nut
12-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Heard good things about Orange Seal and also Bontrager's stuff.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

EPOJoe
12-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Ugg...goat heads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E95lxyZkGw

bobswire
12-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Dumb and Dumber moments.
Expecting a big storm coming in later this evening with the heavy stuff hitting us tomorrow so I took a ride up to Twin Peaks to get a few pics of the cloud cover. Got up to the top and wanted to capture a cool cloud formation, pulled out my smart phone from my rear pocket and only then did I realize I picked up my HP pocket calculator instead of the phone. It was a nice ride anyway.:banana:

http://i62.tinypic.com/34or7rt.jpg

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/09/hurricane-force-80-mile-per-hour-winds-torrential-rain-forecast-for-what-could-be-storm-of-the-decade/

martinez
12-11-2014, 02:30 AM
If we're talking flats...
I swear I've had about 8 flats in the past 4-5 months. Ridiculous.
Psi at about 90-100, 700x25 gp4 seasons, mavic heliums and ksyrium's.
Avoiding potholes. Checked inside and out of the tires. Checking for thorns/nails/etc every time. Mystery flats.
I've gotten two slices in the past year of having these tires.
I'm terrible at bikes :|

gemship
12-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Dumb and Dumber moments.
Expecting a big storm coming in later this evening with the heavy stuff hitting us tomorrow so I took a ride up to Twin Peaks to get a few pics of the cloud cover. Got up to the top and wanted to capture a cool cloud formation, pulled out my smart phone from my rear pocket and only then did I realize I picked up my HP pocket calculator instead of the phone. It was a nice ride anyway.:banana:

http://i62.tinypic.com/34or7rt.jpg

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/09/hurricane-force-80-mile-per-hour-winds-torrential-rain-forecast-for-what-could-be-storm-of-the-decade/

that's funny considering your phone probably has a calculator function.

rzthomas
12-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Yeah road cycling is such an important part of my life nowadays that I would consider moving to a state where I can road bike pretty much year round without being too hot and too cold. Ideal temps should be in the 40-70F range. Is there such a place in the US? Florida and California are off my list.

Reno, Nevada.

The climate is exceptional for outdoor sports. True four seasons, with some hot summer afternoons, but the mornings are always cool. Winters are mild with snow that usually melts off by 2 PM. If you want to ski, you can do that all day long.

Living is cheap and you're close enough to San Francisco that you can spend frequent weekends in the Bay Area having an awesome time.