PDA

View Full Version : Larger tubeless CX tires (38-40)?

DRZRM
12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Are there any legitimate tubeless CX tires that come in larger sizes. I don't race, so no UCI size limitations. I'd like to increasingly ride XC trails on my CX travel bike, while reducing the number of flats (there are larger tubed tires around) and maximize comfort. I think my IF Planet X should clear something around a 40 without difficulty, but not a small 29er tire (some folks have run Specialized 1.8 (44-45mm) tires on supercross frames, that will not work on my bike. I want real off-road tread, so the Schwalbe Marathon/large commuter tire is not going to work.

I've tried searching, but the terms (larger, CX, UST, tubeless) brings up a mishmash of old posts like this search. Any actual tires out there?

exapkib
12-09-2014, 09:03 AM
There was talk of a tubeless version of the Rock 'n Road tire a while back--I'm not sure if they have materialized yet.

Great tire for this application. I ride the tubed version on the trails around here, and it's been fantastic.

batman1425
12-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Not sure if the same goes for the tubeless versions, but clincher versions of some of Kenda's tires measure much larger than labeled when installed. The 35c happy mediums measure 38mm on my fulcrum rims. Both that and the Komando (I think) are available in 35c tubeless.

Lovetoclimb
12-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Check out the Specialized 2bliss line of CX tires. I recall reading they were set to release 38mm or something large like that for most of their popular models of tires.

p nut
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
There was talk of a tubeless version of the Rock 'n Road tire a while back--I'm not sure if they have materialized yet.

Great tire for this application. I ride the tubed version on the trails around here, and it's been fantastic.

I successfully converted RnR's tubeless (fairly easily). If the tire fits pretty snug on your rims, I'd just do a strip of 3M tape or Gorilla tape. If loose, go split-tube or use the stan's rim strips.

Lionel
12-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Timely thread for me. I am looking for something like this as well but in 35 maximum :)

John H.
12-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Specialized Trigger pro is tubeless and comes in 33mm and 38mm.
I have been using a 33- it is awesome.
I have a set of the 38mm on the way to try out.
I have also heard that you can run the Clement Xplor MSO as tubeless- I have no actual experience doing it, and I don't know the limitations.

dawgie
12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't know if they run tubeless, but Clement LAS 33s measure about 36 mm wide on my rims (Open Pros and Dyads).

DRZRM
12-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Timely thread for me. I am looking for something like this as well but in 35 maximum :)

WTB Cross Boss looks nice for a 35.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/wtb-cross-boss-tcs-light-cyclocross-tire

I successfully converted RnR's tubeless (fairly easily). If the tire fits pretty snug on your rims, I'd just do a strip of 3M tape or Gorilla tape. If loose, go split-tube or use the stan's rim strips.

I worry about non tubeless tires on 700 rims, I know it works well on lower pressure MTB tires. What pressure do you run them at? Tempting, RnRs would be perfect.

p nut
12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I worry about non tubeless tires on 700 rims, I know it works well on lower pressure MTB tires. What pressure do you run them at? Tempting, RnRs would be perfect.

I usually run them at 45-50psi. Zero issues bombing down bumpy singletracks. I also raced cross at ~25psi. Again, no issues.

I'd like to try the Soma Cazadero tires as well. I like the solid center tread for on-road riding.

DRZRM
12-09-2014, 02:34 PM
A few articles say that the WTB Nano 40c is going to come out in a tubeless version this year. Who knows if it is true. The tubed ones measure at 42 on a 23mm rim. I'm going to have to measure at the chainstay. These have a continuous strip in the middle and are good on the road, as well as hooking up in the dirt. They sound ideal if they will fit.

Edit: The WTB website (http://www.wtb.com/products/nano-40c) lists a TCS (tubeless) version. Not available yet, but I guess its coming.

Edit #2: I think the WTB Nano 40c is going to be too big to fit in my frame if it measures at 42.