PDA

View Full Version : SS fully rigid MTB?

FastforaSlowGuy
12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
My wife first started riding on a MTB. Loves the woods. She sold it because it never fit well and it felt so heavy. But as she's been riding more (road) she's found that what she didn't like was how the FS made her feel separated from the trail. On her road bike, she likes thin bar tape and tires that transmit more road feel. Same with her car (NOT cushy😊). And she misses the trail riding.

I wonder if a rigid MTB, and a SS, would be a fun experiment for her? Seems like the most connected ride possible. She doesn't ride super hilly stuff.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryA
12-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Gears will make it lots more fun in varied conditions. Otherwise, go for it.

lonoeightysix
12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
maybe a 27.5 or 29, convertible dropouts for 1x10 action/choice, ability to rub wide tires (both in frame and rim dimensions). lightweight fork with decent lockout action, in lieu of a rigid fork?

what FS MTB was she running in the past?

fogrider
12-08-2014, 08:42 PM
how much room is there for wider tires on her road bike? or cross bike, lots of options with tires then.

thirdgenbird
12-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Gears will make it lots more fun in varied conditions. Otherwise, go for it.

Yep.

I'm a big SS fan, but ss on the single track around here was tough. It was a great workout, but took some of the fun out.

I've recently converted a 90s stumpjumper m2 to a rigid 1x10 and I love it.

DRZRM
12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Convertible is a good idea. I have a SS rigid bike (26 inch tires), I like it a lot for the right conditions, but I will often grab the geared 29er instead (I can ride either bike on my local trails). I'm tempted to put a rigid fork on the 29er too.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Hmm, what's this about convertible dropouts? That sounds very tempting. Is it an easy switch? Do you just use the RD as a chain tensioner when running a SS wheel?

ceolwulf
12-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Hmm, what's this about convertible dropouts? That sounds very tempting. Is it an easy switch? Do you just use the RD as a chain tensioner when running a SS wheel?

Like so.

http://www.traitorcycles.com/2013/images/2013CrusadeGalleryFinal4B.jpg

edukaycheon
12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
I run an old steel GT rigid singlespeed with 2.1s as my commuter/throw around bike. The gearing is pretty good for Santa Barbara, gets me to class on time and I can still make it up most trails in the area. Some of the hardpacked trails kind of beat me up though and just make it less fun, but on a smoother trail or fire road type riding I can get into a groove and flow around. I also suck at mountain bikes so the less I have to think about the better

DRZRM
12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Yup, here are a few other convertible options.

Ritchey's

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/cyclesymphony/ritchey_p-29_dropout.jpg

Salsa'a

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BGfZr6rwRoQ/Tu_Sf2FrcgI/AAAAAAAAHko/59ux7GNml3c/s1600/titanium+11+006.JPG

p nut
12-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Best bargain is a Karate Monkey. Nice, short wheelbase, relatively short CS--pretty good geo. Good way to try it out for cheap. The new KM Ops comes with the swappable dropouts, if that's preferred.

I've whittled down my mountain bike collection to just one bike--SS rigid. Lots of fun, up and down.

Likes2ridefar
12-09-2014, 07:52 AM
I've lots of miles on a rigid mtb mostly 29er but started on 26", and raced some mtb 100 milers on a single speed cross bike as well..

anyways, i can't say I'd recommend it for most people especially if they have very little or no mtb experience or are not very fit.

you can always put a suspension fork if she doesnt like the rigid fork and fitness can be developed. but walking up every hill can be frustrating for some people and possibly turn them away before they ever give it a chance.

start with a really easy gear if possible.

It's much easier to get into trouble on a rigid fork if going fast in bumpy terrain. But because of that, I think it teaches you to be a much better rider by learning to read the terrain and pick the best line.

It can be downright painful sometimes riding especially long descents in bumpy terrain. a great disc brake up front can do wonders there.

peanutgallery
12-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I force myself to ride a rigid 29er for a month or 2 every winter and I will agree with your bride. Just a cheap Raleigh XX1 with a few gears (8) and a DH tire on the front, tubeless. My SS experiment lasted one ride, too painful

Usually, I'm a big fan of suspension but I like the idea of having to slow down to go faster. When I get back on a bike with suspension I find that I choose much better lines thru the rock scree they call trails around here. More relaxed, more patient and much smoother. I get back to my old habits soon enough but I think it helps

redir
12-09-2014, 08:07 AM
I vote for gears too. My guess is that the far majority of SS riders probably started on gears and then figured out what gear works for them for SS.

sandyrs
12-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Note: around Boston we don't have long climbs or descents on our trails, at least not the way you guys on the west coast or in Colorado do.

I think she would be fine on a singlespeed. Some of the trails like those in the Fells can be brutally rocky/root-heavy but for the most part I imagine she would be okay. What trails does she like, specifically? I imagine that would go a long way toward deciding whether a rigid fork is the best option.

p nut
12-09-2014, 08:13 AM
When I get back on a bike with suspension I find that I choose much better lines thru the rock scree they call trails around here.

Not sure I agree here--for me, I choose different lines based on the bike I'm on. Rigid gets a smoother and often times, slower line. On a FS, I choose a straighter, faster and often rougher line. For me, rigid riding has not helped in being faster on a HT or FS.

thirdgenbird
12-09-2014, 08:25 AM
I would support rigid 26 making you a better rider. It is fast and fun on the right line but will make you pay if you make an error. it is quite rewarding. Itching to get back out. (Trail is closed)

Edit:
As clarification, better doesn't nesisary mean faster, the line I take may not be faster on a suspension bike but because there isn't as much forgiveness, it forces me to be more attentive.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-09-2014, 08:26 AM
We are very near Harold Parker and Willowdale, the latter being her favorite trail system. Either way, almost no elevation change. She had a CX bike and preferred riding singletrack on that over her FS MTB - like someone said , go slow to go fast. Just a very different challenge. Going with a MTB wheel setup would make it much easier than doing it in 33mm tires. She's short (5'2"), so 27.5 is probably the biggest I'd go. She's tried 29 on a FS and it felt like a penny farthing to her!

Rigid is sounding good. Maybe a convertible dropout frame so if the SS experiment fails, I can just add some bits to make it a 1x geared bike.

Schmed
12-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I like the idea of a convertible SS rigid 29er.

>29er seems to be a great fit for SS
>I rode my 29er SS rigid for a few years and might go back to it
>You can buy a relatively cheap SS 29er on craigslist and try it out (as I did)
>Switch to a higher-end bike if she likes it

I bought a Gary Fisher Rig on Craigslist with some nice upgraded parts for $700. Rode it for two years, broke the frame, then bought a Kona Raijin Ti to replace it. I'm faster on it than I am on my 26" FS.

SS may make you walk. Or cry. But, who cares. It's FUN!

The Craigslist special that got me into SS:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/48faaab2.jpg

Steve in SLO
12-09-2014, 09:42 AM
I would agree with those who have previously posted regarding a convertible frame. Although single speed is great, it is not ideal for all situations.
If your wife likes to be connected, skip the suspension fork for both its weight and impracticality to her. I have a Niner carbon fork on my single speed Niner, and with a racing Ralph upfront, I never miss suspension. I am thinking of putting one on my geared titanium 29er, because, like your wife, I like to feel the trail.
If your wife is weight averse, skip any thoughts of a steel frame and go with aluminum, scandium, titanium, carbon.
My Niner weighs 19 pounds with a size large frame, and nothing special for drivetrain.

don'TreadOnMe
12-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I've ridden everything, raced a good bit, since I was 12.
Bmx, road, mtn, canaan, europe, wyoming, jamaica, you name it.

29er, fully rigid, SS, where I love to be w/knobbies.
Nothing but me, nothing but experience...

p nut
12-09-2014, 10:06 AM
I've ridden everything, raced a good bit, since I was 12.
Bmx, road, mtn, canaan, europe, wyoming, jamaica, you name it.

29er, fully rigid, SS, where I love to be w/knobbies.
Nothing but me, nothing but experience...

Ohhhh!!! Nice McClung!!!

My Niner weighs 19 pounds with a size large frame, and nothing special for drivetrain.

I had the same One 9. Awesome bikes. Loved that bike. Super light and fast. Niner's EBB was also awesome. In fact, had the custome bike built with that EBB. The new One9's can convert to geared easily as well.

peanutgallery
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
aggressive lines, the way the crusty demons of dirt are around here its only a matter of time:)

I find it really helpful. for me, the smoother lines conserve energy (and bike parts) that you'll find you need later. We have crazy rock gardens and rocks, they are known to consume riders and bikes with pretty much the same appetite. There's nothing quite like the feeling of helplessness when you don't have the energy to ride the bike and it rides you instead.

Not sure I agree here--for me, I choose different lines based on the bike I'm on. Rigid gets a smoother and often times, slower line. On a FS, I choose a straighter, faster and often rougher line. For me, rigid riding has not helped in being faster on a HT or FS.

p nut
12-09-2014, 03:06 PM
aggressive lines, the way the crusty demons of dirt are around here its only a matter of time:)

I find it really helpful. for me, the smoother lines conserve energy (and bike parts) that you'll find you need later. We have crazy rock gardens and rocks, they are known to consume riders and bikes with pretty much the same appetite. There's nothing quite like the feeling of helplessness when you don't have the energy to ride the bike and it rides you instead.

Makes sense. :cool: I can remember a few rides this past summer where it was all I could do to stay upright by the end of the ride. Not a good feeling getting dominated by the bike!

bluesea
12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Remember many of us started on rigid MTB, because that's all we had. I put in 3 solid years of MTB's with a Cannondale with a fat alu. Pepperoni fork, so talk about rigid. Anyway my main point is we didn't complain because we didn't know any better. Nobody I spoke with thought about comfort in those days.

HenryA
12-09-2014, 03:37 PM
This might be a question that can be well answered with a nice old classic MTB. An early vintage Fat Chance or such. Probably get a real nice complete bike with 1" head tube and a rigid fork for $600-800. If she rides for the dynamic feel of carving, leaning and flying she'd love one of those bikes. Nothing much sweeter ever been built.

SpeedyChix
12-09-2014, 05:52 PM
We are very near Harold Parker and Willowdale, the latter being her favorite trail system. Either way, almost no elevation change. She had a CX bike and preferred riding singletrack on that over her FS MTB - like someone said , go slow to go fast. Just a very different challenge. Going with a MTB wheel setup would make it much easier than doing it in 33mm tires. She's short (5'2"), so 27.5 is probably the biggest I'd go. She's tried 29 on a FS and it felt like a penny farthing to her!

Rigid is sounding good. Maybe a convertible dropout frame so if the SS experiment fails, I can just add some bits to make it a 1x geared bike.

I've ridden in both of those areas over the years when on vacations in the Newburyport area. I think she'd be happy on a rigid SS, especially given that she used to ride mtb and has also covered them on a 'cross bike.

A 27.5 rigid SS can be a light and snappy ride (I really enjoy mine). The biggest thing for me has been the ability to run slightly larger volume tires than on the geared bike.

Mister Donut
12-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Yep, go for the sliding dropouts so she'll have the option of 1x when you begin bikepacking.

SlowPokePete
12-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Have had a few rigid 29ers...

Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum has awesome swinging dropouts, used to run that one ss, now set up rigid 1x9.

Also have a Kona Raijin with sliders, rigid as well.

Pretty tech here in Westchester County, and I very much enjoy the rigid ride.

But for myself, I got here from geared rigid (long ago), to HT, to FS 26 and 29, to rigid geared to rigid ss. I have definitely found what I like best.

SPP

MrDangerPants
12-10-2014, 06:40 AM
A 27.5 rigid SS can be a light and snappy ride (I really enjoy mine).

Ditto. I have Black Cat Swingers with an additional derailleur hanger so can run geared when necessary.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/d698896e60b93811b8981803e9d1861f/tumblr_nebywsLRI81tst9oeo1_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3c30fcf3396832ae959fb26110d06c55/tumblr_mk10loRMqR1rsielzo10_1280.jpg

thirdgenbird
12-10-2014, 07:09 AM
I love my rigid 26in but if I were building new, it would be a 650b build similar to that.