PDA

View Full Version : OT: Honda Element or similar

rcnute
12-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Thinking of getting a new vehicle. Friend really likes his for hauling bikes/kids. I guess Elements aren't made anymore. Anything out there that's similar? Thanks.

Ryan

ceolwulf
12-08-2014, 05:59 PM
How about a Ford Transit Connect?

gomango
12-08-2014, 06:04 PM

We rented one last summer for a sag wagon on a bike trip from St. Paul to Thunder Bay.

We loaded it with our tents, sleeping bags, provisions and even carried an extra bike inside.

It got decent mileage and never missed a beat.

Cheap to rent as well.

Deadly dull to drive but that's not why it was rented.

bcroslin
12-08-2014, 06:08 PM
My advice is to find a used Element. There's not another car out there that is as versatile. I've owned one going on 8 years and I still love it. I can haul 2 large mtbs with wheels on with the seats up. I removed the back seats years ago and haven't looked back.

Only car IMO that gets close to the Element is the new Nissan NV200. The new Ford Transit looks good but I don't know that I could bring myself to buy a Ford. Both are work trucks but I think there's some build options to make them a little more comfortable.

thirdgenbird
12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't know that I could bring myself to buy a Ford

Why?

jonbek
12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Love my Element. Bikes go right in, the floor is flat, etc etc. No matter how I drive it, the Element gives me 24mpg.

merlinmurph
12-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Another Element lover here.
If my Element got stolen, totaled, etc., I'd try to find a used one because there's nothing like it out there right now. It's so useful for bikes, dogs, camping, trips, etc.

azrider
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Is a used Element not an option? I know three Element owners that love them and would buy another one if something were to happen to theirs.

fogrider
12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
This summer on vacation we rented a Rav 4 and was pretty impressed with the way it drove and handled. it had decent power even though it was a 4 banger. on the freeway it was pretty good on gas about 30 mph and I was driving pretty fast. a fair amount of storage in the back. I was not a big fan of the Rav 4, but after driving it for a few hundred miles, I would consider it.

bcgav
12-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Thinking of getting a new vehicle. Friend really likes his for hauling bikes/kids. I guess Elements aren't made anymore. Anything out there that's similar? Thanks.

Ryan

Find a good used one. Owner of an '07 with 112K, love it. Perfect vehicle as a cyclist, fold one of the back seats to the side and roll the bike right in. A buddy of mine just picked up a low mileage '06. Very versatile if you have an active lifestyle.

William
12-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Love my manual 5spd Element SC. Plenty of room for multiple 6' 6" people, bikes or whatever you want to throw in it. It's really deceiving how much room the Elelment has.

William

chasea
12-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Got rid of my Element when I moved to NYC. It was completely just plain adequate in that didn't drive great or poorly, and had no serious issues. As a cyclist and a working drummer, it was ideal. If I moved and got another car, I'd try finding one used.

Louis
12-08-2014, 07:29 PM
No matter how I drive it, the Element gives me 24mpg.

Seems kind of low compared to today's new cars.

bcgav
12-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Seems kind of low compared to today's new cars.

When you take into consideration that it has the drag coefficient of a brick, 24MPG isn't that bad.

Louis
12-08-2014, 07:42 PM
99.99% of my rides are from my house, so bike-hauling isn't high on my list of priorities.

But I do have a hatch / wagon. (Subie)

thirdgenbird
12-08-2014, 07:42 PM
When you take into consideration that it has the drag coefficient of a brick, 24MPG isn't that bad.

Between the mirrors and open grille, it could be worse than a brick.

commonguy001
12-08-2014, 07:43 PM
The element is really an oddity in that it was so perfect for cyclists and outdoorsy people yet was so flawed.
I had mine for 6 years and loved it yet found it frustrating at the same time. I've never had anything I went through so many windshields with. Egads I must have broke one a year.
My E was pre 5 speed and got even worse MPG than the newer ones and felt like it had a sail on the roof whenever you drove in high winds.

Saying that I almost bought another one for my wife because they're so bloody handy. Only problem was they're nearly impossible to find not driven into the ground or priced nearly at what I paid new in 05.
We ended up getting her a new awd CRV and it's just fantastic but not nearly as handy.

Good luck in your quest!!

William
12-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Compared to my LC, the mileage it gets is like a miracle!!;)

I don't know about the other models but the SC has a little pep to it.

William

ceolwulf
12-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Does the Mazda 5 fit in this area? I think it kind of does. (Likely the nicest to drive of the lot.)

Rated MPG for reference:

Element (manual) - 21
Transit Connect (2.5l) - 24
Transit Connect (1.6 turbo) - 26
Nissan NV200 - 25
Mazda 5 - 25

ultraman6970
12-08-2014, 07:46 PM
There is a super luxury model, with all the shabang included, not the basic model with no windows. Even the super expensive one is extra long, one extra row of seats in the back... really nice and in other colors.

I believe those transits are actually MB's

zennmotion
12-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Prolly nobody here's interested in a compact, but I can load our tandem inside our 2015 Honda Fit (taking the wheels off a'course) by folding the front passenger seat all the way back, the passenger sits behind the driver. Single bikes fit fine standing up inside with the front wheel removed and the back seats folded. And 44-47mpg is what we're actually measuring on the highway, better than the EPA estimate. Drives nice enough, and it's cheap. Now back to your gas guzzlers...

bcgav
12-08-2014, 07:58 PM
There is a super luxury model, with all the shabang included, not the basic model with no windows. Even the super expensive one is extra long, one extra row of seats in the back... really nice and in other colors.

I believe those transits are actually MB's

Transit Connects are the smaller utility cargo or passenger vans. The new Transit is a replacement for the Econoline and is meant to compete with the MB/FL/Dodge Sprinter, and has different roof heights and wheelbase lengths.

Saw a Transit Connect passenger model in the parking lot this summer at a large organized century, owned by a fellow cyclist.

Ralph
12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I bought a new Element in 2010, kept it a year and sold it. Bought it to haul bikes, and it was so perfect for that.

But I had a problem with it. Somewhere along that time Honda changed where the seat belt came from. On mine it came from the top of the drivers seat, and on long trips it killed my shoulder from pressure. had to go to orthopedic Doc for pain shots it got so bad. So sold it. Wish I had just bought a used one where the seat belts come off the side piller. Would probably still have it.

BTW....Replaced it with a Honda CRV. Very low floor. Can haul two bikes up to 56 CM fork mount in it. It's surprisingly tall inside with seats folded. Not as good as a Honda Fit with those magic fold flat seats, or new Honda HRV coming soon (has the magic seats also), but the CRV with leather and NAV is nice. Daughter got that car now.

rnhood
12-08-2014, 08:25 PM
I like the Transient Connect, the Honda CRV, and the Toyota van that I currently have. After 240k miles, my van (1998) runs like brand new and carries all I need then some. A van might not fit your fashion desires but, I don't believe there is a more practical way to travel around with bikes - comfortably. No need to put bikes on top or on a rack off the back. The cargo area holds three, with both front and back seats in place. You can't beat it.

Ralph
12-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Prolly nobody here's interested in a compact, but I can load our tandem inside our 2015 Honda Fit (taking the wheels off a'course) by folding the front passenger seat all the way back, the passenger sits behind the driver. Single bikes fit fine standing up inside with the front wheel removed and the back seats folded. And 44-47mpg is what we're actually measuring on the highway, better than the EPA estimate. Drives nice enough, and it's cheap. Now back to your gas guzzlers...

I'm thinking about buying one of them. For around town vehicle, bike hauling to rides, grocery getter, etc. Can't beat them. No need to pay more for what they do. Used ones kinda cult like (like Element), and priced accordingly, might as well get a new one. Some improvements on 2015 also.

dancinkozmo
12-08-2014, 09:05 PM
...another vote for the fit here. i bought a 2013 last year..not as much space inside as an element but it may surprise you how much interior space it does have.

Gsinill
12-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Owned a 2008 Element LX for about 3 years and totally agree on the versatility.

A few things I was not thrilled with:

Suicide doors are PITA if you frequently haul more than 2 people
Mileage: I averaged around 20 MPG which was too high for us using it as a daily driver
Handling: driving a bus comes to mind
Interior felt relatively cheap with lots of hard plastic
Seats in the back were rather uncomfortable, can't imagine any adult sitting comfortably for more than one hour

Overall not a bad car but I can't say I regret that I sold it.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
GS

ultraman6970
12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
What about a 1969 subaru 360 van?

zennmotion
12-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking about buying one of them. For around town vehicle, bike hauling to rides, grocery getter, etc. Can't beat them. No need to pay more for what they do. Used ones kinda cult like (like Element), and priced accordingly, might as well get a new one. Some improvements on 2015 also.

Yeah, there are enough real improvements on the 2015 Fit that it makes no sense to buy anything older, unless the used deal is way below the blue book. The transmission is better, the interior design (amazing folding seats), better crash safety, and better mileage. There's still some 2013s out there (they did not make a 2014 model) but the price- at least a few months ago when we bought a 15 was nearly the same. Had it on some very icy roads recently, solid handling. The blue is really pretty if you can find one, we settled for red-it's loud.

pbarry
12-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Yeah, if that design or variant would comply with U.S. Safety standards, I would sign up.

thirdgenbird
12-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Yes.

You can probably get 3 of them in a two stall garage. A bike Friday should fit in the back. I think...

ceolwulf
12-08-2014, 09:41 PM

I like your style.

edit cos we need a pic.

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201210/07/14/a0231314_20395752.jpg

veloduffer
12-09-2014, 07:35 AM
What about a Ford Flex? Similarly boxy like the Element and a much better ride. It can hold a lot and is tall, so I think you could fit bikes in quite easily. It's really a cross between a SUV and minivan. I don't think they are top seller for Ford, so you might have more room to negotiate on price.

p nut
12-09-2014, 07:59 AM

I have a 2007 Fit with almost 100k miles now. Put in gas and changed oil is all I've done. Reliability is awesome and cargo capacity for this little car is amazing. I'm on the hunt for a new car and looking at the JSW/GSW and the new Fit.

Does the OP need the ground clearance or AWD of the Element? If so, what about the CRV? We also have an Outback that has been awesome.

ultraman6970
12-09-2014, 08:04 AM
The mitsubishi L100 that never seen in the US by the way was a really quick micro minivan, just the basics. No idea if those are still in production tho.

http://i30.tinypic.com/wsnwk3.jpg

I like your style.

edit cos we need a pic.

jeo99
12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Element, Really! It's so ugly.

merlinmurph
12-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Also, the AWD system is a bit draggy and eats tires more than it should. I seem to get 24mpg, too.

fkelly
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Currently drive a 2005 Subaru GT wagon. Bike lies flat on folded down back seat, not need to remove even the front wheel. Great for going to local rides by myself. With Turbo and 240 hp it goes like a rocket but gas mileage is mid-20's at best.

If you need carrying capacity why not consider a Honda Odyssey. It's like the big brother of the FIT (the very big brother) but echoes it in versatility. Gets as good gas mileage as the Subaru. Comfortable both around town and on the highway. I've carried 5 people and four bikes in it and you don't even need to disassemble the bikes to do so. Or 7 people and a dog or two. ♠

Dave Ferris
12-09-2014, 02:18 PM
We're probably going to get the new CRV sometime next year. My wife's doing the commute to Long Beach now so she has the '11 Prius, and I have the '02 Passat wagon. ...which is at 190K. It's time to say addios to that and all the dough I've dumped into it the past 12 years.:rolleyes:

My mtn. bike fits in both vehicles with the wheel on but would like something more roomy.

So I hauled my Potts 29er (with 100 mm shock) up to the Honda dealer and it fit like a glove with the wheel on, inside the 2014 model.

Did the same *mtn bike into car* test with the '15 Forester & Outback. Forester's a little taller, so an easier fit without worrying about tearing the headliner on the Outback.

Was very impressed with refinement and pickup of the CRV. But performance wise I'm coming from a Prius and a '91 Volvo 740 (non-turbo) wagon before the Toyota.

The new updates on the CRV- increased mileage and VST are getting rave reviews in most places. Have always dug Hondas. Only negative was the visibility wasn't as good as the Forester and Outback. It wasn't a deal breaker for me though.

Know quite a few musicians in LA with the Element , very popular. It can haul a ton of gear - PA/monitor speakers, racks with amps/effects, multiple keyboards, drums. Even more then my Volvo 740 wagon (which I greatly miss), which was cavernous.

Hawker
12-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Be sure to check out the Kia Soul, good value for the money and lots of space and tall. IfI you are looking at new, the 2014s are a totally new platform and a real upgrade over the earlier models.

As others have mentioned, the MX 5 is also worth investigating.

malcolm
12-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Be sure to check out the Kia Soul, good value for the money and lots of space and tall. IfI you are looking at new, the 2014s are a totally new platform and a real upgrade over the earlier models.

I owned a mazda 5, if you are meaning the smaller mini van. I think around 2011 and I hated it and unloaded it after about a year. We couldn't keep brake rotors on it, had them turned several times and replaced twice and they continued to warp. Also had 3 or 4 gas caps replaced as they would easily cross thread and get jammed and break off in the tank neck requiring channel locks to remove. It was a car driven mostly by our nanny and maybe it was just her but I hated that car.

palincss
12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Quoting from the IIHS report on the Mazda 5 crash test:

The Mazda 5 shares the distinction with two other cars of being the worst-performing models the Institute has evaluated in the small overlap test. The other two are the 2014 Kia Forte, a small car, and the 2012 Prius v, a midsize hybrid.

"When we tested the Mazda 5 we saw a host of structural and restraint system problems. Parts of the occupant compartment essentially buckled, allowing way too much intrusion," Nolan says.

Injury measures taken from the dummy indicate a high risk of injuries to the left thigh and left lower leg in a real-world crash this severe. The steering wheel moved to the right, and the dummy's head barely contacted the front airbag before sliding off the left side. The safety belt allowed the dummy's head and torso to move too far forward, so the head made contact with the left side of the dashboard. The side curtain airbag didn't deploy at all, exposing the head to contacts with side structure and outside objects. Plus, the driver door unlatched during the test, something that shouldn't happen and puts occupants at risk of being ejected from the vehicle.

The Mazda 5 also is distinct in that it is the only vehicle in this group to earn a marginal rating in one of the Institute's other four evaluations — moderate overlap front, side, rollover and rear. The Mazda 5 earns a marginal rating in the side impact test. That also makes it the only 2014-model car the Institute has evaluated to earn anything less than acceptable in the side test. Most models earn a good rating. Measures taken from the driver dummy indicate a likely pelvis fracture, and measures taken from the dummy seated in the rear passenger seat indicate that rib fractures and/or other internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity.

-- http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/range-of-ratings-small-car-ratings-run-the-gamut-in-challenging-small-overlap-front-test

thirdgenbird
12-09-2014, 05:47 PM

good. I found the first generation a truely miserable experance.

Hawker
12-09-2014, 06:55 PM
good. I found the first generation a truely miserable experance.

Sorry I mis-typed and meant the Mazda 5. The MX5 is also known as the Miata and while a wonderful car (I've had two) not quite enough space for bikes and a family. :)

thirdgenbird
12-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I didn't even notice that, I was only quoting on the Kia.

The mx5 was redesigned for 15. Not enough room for family, but it would be worth getting a bike on there :)

Mikej
12-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Honda Pilot - they are deep discounting right now 5k off sticker. I have an older one, 22 mpg little less in the winter, cavernous and plenty of power. Comes stock with a 2" hitch for a Thule T2.

ptourkin
12-09-2014, 08:28 PM
My advice is to find a used Element. There's not another car out there that is as versatile. I've owned one going on 8 years and I still love it. I can haul 2 large mtbs with wheels on with the seats up. I removed the back seats years ago and haven't looked back.

Only car IMO that gets close to the Element is the new Nissan NV200. The new Ford Transit looks good but I don't know that I could bring myself to buy a Ford. Both are work trucks but I think there's some build options to make them a little more comfortable.

The Transit Connect comes in a wagon version with a rear folding seat and windows for that seat. The work version doesn't have that.

rodcad
12-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Love my Toyota Venza. Plenty of room to toss in a bike with rear seats down without taking off wheels. At 6'-4" it's roomiest car I've owned. Also have a trailer hitch and 1up rack. More ground clearance and way more comfy than a RAV 4 and it has a V6.

Gsinill
12-10-2014, 07:03 AM

Another vote for checking out the Kia Soul as well.

I never owned one but I had the 2014 model several times as a rental on weekly business trips.
Can't speak to their long term reliability and I never checked the MPG, but I like the way it handles and the build quality feels alright.
It's not ugly and to me the interior quality is a step up compared to the '08 Element LX I owned.
It lacks power but usually Hertz gets the smallest offered engines for their cars.

Not sure whether you could fit a bike in lengthwise without taking the front wheel off, but it definitely seems to be tall enough.

Since Hertz is apparently phasing out their Priuses, the Kia Soul actually became my favorite rental besides the Camry - at least up to full-size.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2014, 07:21 AM
The mitsubishi L100 that never seen in the US by the way was a really quick micro minivan, just the basics. No idea if those are still in production tho.

http://i30.tinypic.com/wsnwk3.jpg

Had a red one like this in 1980 when I lived in Japan.

Climb01742
12-10-2014, 08:29 AM
A few years ago, VW did a design exploratory to update the Micro Bus. Always thought updating the VW bus would strike home with outdoor athletes.

Roger M
12-10-2014, 08:33 AM
A few years ago, VW did a design exploratory to update the Micro Bus. Always thought updating the VW bus would strike home with outdoor athletes.

I remember this from a bunch of years ago.
at the time, I thought it would have been a big seller.
http://www.blogcdn.com/translogic.aolautos.com/media/2010/07/2001-vw-microbus-concept-side-1280x960.jpg

ceolwulf
12-10-2014, 08:36 AM
They should definitely have built that thing.

Gsinill
12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
they should definitely have built that thing.

+100

Climb01742
12-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I remember this from a bunch of years ago.
at the time, I thought it would have been a big seller.
http://www.blogcdn.com/translogic.aolautos.com/media/2010/07/2001-vw-microbus-concept-side-1280x960.jpg

Roger, thanks for finding that photo. Yep, that's it. Who wouldn't want that for bikes, gear, dogs and kids? Why they never built it...:crap:

Hindmost
12-10-2014, 10:52 AM
This affected most of my vehicle choices for a long time.

merlinmurph
12-10-2014, 10:53 AM

No kidding, especially since old Vanagons and Synchros are hot right now. People rebuild them putting Subie engines in them.

Mikej
12-10-2014, 11:36 AM

So, it is a "style" thing right? Because there are 100 vehicles with the same or better features out there right now.

Roger M
12-10-2014, 11:47 AM
No kidding, especially since old Vanagons and Synchros are hot right now. People rebuild them putting Subie engines in them.

There's a shop not far from me that's been putting this together.

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/uploads/2/5/0/9/25092088/1040291_orig.jpg

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/vw-bus.html

p nut
12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
My wife won't drive a minivan, but she would Sign and Drive if that van came out.

rzthomas
12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I love our Element, which we got used earlier this year (MY 2005 AWD with the 5-speed and 78K for a great price). My wife hates driving it, preferring our SAAB 9-5 Aero. So we have a fast car and slow car.

The Element sits a bit, but when it's used, it's used. We've done two big road trips to North and South Carolina this year and yes, the mileage kinda sucks. However, fitting everything in was such a treat.

If I were you, I'd put on a search on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc. for the one in your preferred spec and buy a used one. Be prepared to travel and put a deposit on it, contingent upon mechanical inspection at an independent garage.

If we decide to get rid of the Element, we'd probably get a diesel Jetta sportwagon or a find a nice low-mileage SAAB 9-5 Aero wagon with the 5-speed (a unicorn now). The Ford Transit looks great, too.

Louis
12-10-2014, 12:30 PM
There's a shop not far from me that's been putting this together.

That looks like the type of place I'd like to have working on my cars. (Assuming I could afford it.)

GregL
12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Having previously owned an Element (and now on our third minivan...), I'll chime in. While the Element had several nice features as described in this thread, there were several things we didn't like:

- Suicide doors were a major PIA.
- Lousy mileage. It would likely have benefitted from a six-speed transaxle.
- No ambient temperature indication. This may sound trivial, but all our minivans and my current Mazda CX-5 have outside temp indications. It's not only nice for figuring out how many layers to wear, but also a good warning of road conditions becoming icy.
- Rear brakes were prone to corrosion and subsequent seized pads.

Other than not having AWD, the minivans beat the Element in nearly every category. Gas mileage is almost identical, but the minivans are more comfortable and have much more interior room. They may not be "cool," but minivans are unbeatable for hauling lots of sports gear!

- Greg

buck-50
12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
My Dad has a transit connect (the small one). It replaced his F-150. According to him, it hauls just as much stuff, which is nice. It also has a low floor so you don't have to lift bikes as far to get them in. Only real problem is the same problem the Element had- the roof is really high and makes loading canoes a pain in the ass.

One thought- Considering the kinda crappy mileage of the Element and the fact that used ones don't sell cheap, maybe consider something like a VW sportwagen and a decent hitch rack?

gavingould
12-10-2014, 02:41 PM
i'm assuming (and have read) that the reason most people want an Element or similar size/shape is to load in one or more bikes without removing a wheel or needing a rack, either roof or hitch.

i have a JSW, and roof rack - but i've loaded 2 complete road bikes (both 57/58cm, tall riders) in the back of my Sportwagen with the rear seats folded down. no wheels removed. i'm not saying it was easy or pretty, but it's definitely do-able.

handy to have that flexibility in cold or rainy conditions.

buck-50
12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
i'm assuming (and have read) that the reason most people want an Element or similar size/shape is to load in one or more bikes without removing a wheel or needing a rack, either roof or hitch.

i have a JSW, and roof rack - but i've loaded 2 complete road bikes (both 57/58cm, tall riders) in the back of my Sportwagen with the rear seats folded down. no wheels removed. i'm not saying it was easy or pretty, but it's definitely do-able.

handy to have that flexibility in cold or rainy conditions.

Know what you mean- almost bought a used Element instead of the JSW- the ability to load in whole bikes did seem nice, but the price was pretty high for the used Element and the gas mileage was pretty crappy.

I remember a couple years ago we designed some stuff for a trade show and had to deliver it. The printer brought it to us in a Honda Element and it fit just fine. It did not fit in the Chevy Suburban we rented to drive it down to the trade show- the flexibility of loading in the Element is amazing.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-10-2014, 03:58 PM
It did not fit in the Chevy Suburban...................

It amazes how something so massive is really quite cramped inside. For both passengers and gear.