PDA

View Full Version : worst bike product

stevep
03-26-2006, 06:57 PM
what is the worst or most disappointing product that you have used in the sport?

jerk
03-26-2006, 07:00 PM
hmmm....clincher tires? gay bars? the jerk gives up.

Dr. Doofus
03-26-2006, 07:02 PM
aspide saddle

itm anatomic bars

just personal taste -- good stuff, but didn't feel right

jerk
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
no the jerk knows!

methamphetamine.

jerk

stevep
03-26-2006, 07:27 PM
i thought that your eyes looked a little out there.
come on jerk. you own at least 300 bad bike products.
how about a long stem on a short bike?

catulle
03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Polar. :butt:

Jeff N.
03-26-2006, 07:38 PM
ZIPP carbon crankset. An unprecedented POS if there ever was one. Jeff N.

fstrthnu
03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Polar Heart Rate Monitors.

IMHO
Bro
Fstrthnu

Bill Bove
03-26-2006, 07:47 PM
I put a Polar HRM computer on my bike last week, the CS 200cad. I have hated it ever since. Polar, the single most worst product ever foisted upon the cycling world.

jerk
03-26-2006, 07:49 PM
i thought that your eyes looked a little out there.
come on jerk. you own at least 300 bad bike products.
how about a long stem on a short bike?

hey some guys buy a corvette or a big hat.....every one needs to compensate.

ok in no particular order;

anatomic handlebars-

the new assos chamois-

that whacked out easton ec90 stem that looked really cool on paper but was next to impossible to install and subsequently impossible to make tight-

saddles with holes in em- not in and of themselves but marketing a product based on men's fears of sexual inadequecy and other penis problems is a dumb way to try to get more folks on bikes-

11tooth cassette cogs-if you need it they're paying you and you have a leadout train-

compact cranks- there's a reason they used to be called "alpine gears". the 50/34is great for going up and down mountains.....but the middle gears most people use when riding along the flats are lost or in weird places in the range regardless of cassette options. if you can't handle a 53/39 in places like eastern new england you need to either ride more or take advantage of the great new incentive shimano is offering when you buy a dura-ace triple groupset.....free pantyhose! (as an aside the jerk does like the 110 bolt pattern, you cna pretty much put any chainring size you want on there.)

mustache bars- stupid, uncomfortable and designed to keep montesorri(sp?) schooled children from "competing" with eachother. essentially the cycling equivalent of dubya's abstinence based sex-ed programs; everyone loves grant peterson but mustache bars are mp.

the cycling do-rag- skinny white kids with strange tan lines should not be wearing doo-rags unless they are really pale puerto-ricans. use a cycling hat.

oakley m-frames- mad painful in 1986 mad painful in 2006. when it comes to eyewear emulate mary-kate and ashley not lance armstrong. giant pradas are the only way to roll.

jerk

stevep
03-26-2006, 07:51 PM
atta boy jerk.
i knew you would come through.
hell, i've sold you at least 125 bad products!

jerk
03-26-2006, 07:54 PM
atta boy jerk.
i knew you would come through.
hell, i've sold you at least 125 bad products!

and not one return!

csm
03-26-2006, 07:59 PM
shimano sti.
yeah yeah yeah
whatever.
buy campy.

saab2000
03-26-2006, 08:03 PM
In no particular order
(we've done this before)

- Cinelli Eubios bars
- Coombe pedals
- Lake shoes
- non-bib shorts
- various wireless computers
- Araya CTL-360 clincher rims
- latex tubes, except the ones installed in Veloflex tubular tires
- some Michelin clinchers I once owned, which were supposed to be great but sucked
- most continental tires
- 1994 D/A gruppo, because it was way overrated. Worked OK, but I expected more.

stevep
03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
haha.
without shimano sti you would still be trying to get your syncro-10 to shift right.

Dr. Doofus
03-26-2006, 08:11 PM
any crap that looks like rubber cement, comes in a packet, and is supposed to be a food source during races.

all that stuff sucks

Rapid Tourist
03-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I'll chime in with another vote for Polar. Horrendous for cycling use.

Assos chamois cream. Weird. Just weird. I'll leave it at that.

lightweight tubes. Maybe they're light but they don't hold air so what does it matter.

csm
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
w/o sti we wouldn't have syncro 10.
just 7 or 8. which worked.

sailorboy
03-26-2006, 08:36 PM
The "tricolore" red white and green vittoria tires that came out a few years back. I usually like thier tires, but those sucked hard! Sure they looked trick, but I fell twice in races and training on wet roads in a 2 month period with them; never touched the brakes. Still ahve the scars to show for it. Granted, it was wet, but other tires were fine. Stay away from any fancy colored "special edition" tires in the wet IMHO.

honorable mention goes to HAC4 computers. Too expensive, too many issues, short battery life, huge stack height.

e-RICHIE
03-26-2006, 08:40 PM
what is the worst or most disappointing product that you have used in the sport?

an excuse for not winning.

LegendRider
03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
First generation Vittoria clinchers (I flatted once every 20 miles)
Rolls Due saddle

David Kirk
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
One word - Keywin.

Dave

Birddog
03-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Titanium kickstand, regular ones work just as well so what if there is a weight penalty.

Birddog

Fixed
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
bro ok kick me I like my new bike but ... wouldn't it be cool if there was a rule that all bikes had to be made a certain way like r.s. or d.k. ..etc for the pros too lugged steel .i.m.h.o. cheers

jerk
03-26-2006, 09:37 PM
bro ok kick me I like my new bike but ... wouldn't it be cool if there was a rule that all bikes had to be made a certain way like r.s. or d.k. ..etc for the pros too lugged steel .i.m.h.o. cheers

yeah, and they'd all have to race on the track in white body armor and sketchy old men could bet on'em for fun and profit. the jerk's down. let you and the jerk petition the uci.

vaxn8r
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Any sew-up under $50. Flat easy, rarely round, but at least they weren't light.

19c clinchers. What was I thinking?

1992 Litespeed. I shoulda waited a few years to board that ti train.

Oakley glasses. After the 3rd pair broke I learned my lesson.

Silca floor pump. Of course back then there were no options. But that chuck design....MP. At least it was all rebuildable ;)

Titanium tandems. Can you say twisty? No lighter than steel either. Dumb idea.

e-RICHIE
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
yeah, and they'd all have to race on the track in white body armor and sketchy old men could bet on'em for fun and profit. the jerk's down. let you and the jerk petition the uci.

forget track.
both of you can live the dream...
how do you each feel about 'cross?

jerk
03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
forget track.
both of you can live the dream...
how do you each feel about 'cross?

if fixed and the jerk are riding red; wellens and the rest of fidea better be prepared to go back to the wevelgem mattress factory....imho bro yo.

jerk

Fixed
03-26-2006, 09:54 PM
bro the master did it again with grant's bike i.m.h.o. cheers

classic1
03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Vittoria Tubular cement. Great for sticking on tyres.

Useless as chamois cream. :p

Marco
03-26-2006, 10:43 PM
For all of you Polar haters out there: are you down on the basic HR monitors or on the alll-in-one cyclo computers and HR monitors?

Louis
03-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Same answer as the last time this question came up:

Control Tech Seatpost

avoid even if someone gives it to you for free.

Ahneida Ride
03-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Conti Tires ..... Sidewalls Suck !

Sandy
03-27-2006, 12:16 AM
and not one return!

May I sell you Kevan? :rolleyes:

Sandy

gaxi
03-27-2006, 07:03 AM
- Conti Supersonic tubes - they are so thin and light and almost "unmountable" without punching them
- Deda Newton stems - every time I'm working on them I'm afraid of "breaking the threads" (and yes - I am working with a torque wrench)

stevep
03-27-2006, 07:04 AM
how about as sun screen?

stevep
03-27-2006, 07:19 AM
expensive chamois.
i think the more stitching and the more layers and the more money and the more advertising...means the chamois is more uncomfortable.
more gets you more... must be better

theprep
03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
For me, the worst bike product I ever used was the Carbon Alien Seatpost. After the initial installation there was simply no way of changing the angle. You need and hour and better pack a lunch to move the nose up or down 2 mm.

I gave it to Spicoli for something usefull while he was in a weight weenie stage :D . He promptly busted it in a cross race, he..he..
cheers,
Joe