PDA

View Full Version : COLD feet!

gmcampy
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
I have to figure out an AFFORDABLE solution FAST. I have winter shoes (oversized to allow room to breath), tried all combinations of socks/covers/chem warmers/ etc. Right foot gets almost unbearable after about an hour in sub 35 degree temps.

So I have tried alomst every possible solution short of 2:
1. Electric socks/soles. Buddy is using some with a good result.
2. Can embrocation be used effectivly to provide warmth for a more than an hour?

zap
12-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Neoprene Booties?

It's what I use with my summer shoes & socks. Good (for me at least) down to about 20F blustery day's.

gmcampy
12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Neoprene Booties?

It's what I use with my summer shoes & socks. Good (for me at least) down to about 20F blustery day's.
Not even close, feet sweat, cold from cleats freezes feet from the bottom up.....

Likes2ridefar
12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
I have to figure out an AFFORDABLE solution FAST. I have winter shoes (oversized to allow room to breath), tried all combinations of socks/covers/chem warmers/ etc. Right foot gets almost unbearable after about an hour in sub 35 degree temps.

2. Can embrocation be used effectivly to provide warmth for a more than an hour?

warmer legs make happier feet. most tights are not adequate even if your legs aren't exactly cold feeling. on really cold days two pairs of tights or something slightly stretchy and loose over the tights to shed the wind and create a warm pocket between the two really helps.

RBH designs socks are the warmest I've found. they are significantly warmer than anything available that I've ever tried. but they won't fit in most shoes unless they are sized up or the insole is removed.

gmcampy
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
warmer legs make happier feet. most tights are not adequate even if your legs aren't exactly cold feeling.

RBH designs socks are the warmest I've found. they are significantly warmer than anything available that I've ever tried. but they won't fit in most shoes unless they are sized up or the insole is removed.
Just added Poler Tech outer layer, always keep leg warmers pulled down over my ankles to keep warmth in. thin socks have been better, but the cold still radiates in from the soles of my winter shoes from the cleat connections

rnhood
12-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I know boots seem to be a popular recommendation for winter riding but, they were no better than booties for me. In fact I actually prefer the neoprene booties. I add a chemical foot warmer when its really cold and as mentioned above, good leg coverage is a must (your Polar Tech tights should be good if made of 100 gram or heavier power stretch fabric). Several companies make booties (e.g., Endura). Gore make a good full cover bootie that is insulated too.

Likes2ridefar
12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I know boots seem to be a popular recommendation for winter riding but, they were no better than booties for me. In fact I actually prefer the neoprene booties. I add a chemical foot warmer when its really cold and as mentioned above, good leg coverage is a must (your Polar Tech tights should be good if made of 100 gram or heavier power stretch fabric). Several companies make booties (e.g., Endura). Gore make a good full cover bootie that is insulated too.

boots didnt help me either until i got them two sizes too big and wore an excellent layer of socks.

i dont even wear a bootie unless it's really wet or well below freezing. never use chemical warmers since the switch.

Bradford
12-08-2014, 01:01 PM
I read and article in a ski magazine years ago that said if your feet are cold, wear a hat (this was before ski helmets). If other parts of your body are cold, the first place to you loose heat will be in your feet.

So, if you have done all you have done, then try warming up other parts of your body, starting with the head, and see if that works.

fiamme red
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Try sneakers or hiking shoes with platform pedals or toe clips.

Likes2ridefar
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I read and article in a ski magazine years ago that said if your feet are cold, wear a hat (this was before ski helmets). If other parts of your body are cold, the first place to you loose heat will be in your feet.

So, if you have done all you have done, then try warming up other parts of your body, starting with the head, and see if that works.

i very much agree. i wear a really warm hat made by mountain hardwear called the dome perignon that is way warmer than any cycling hat i've seen when it dips much below freezing. it still fits under the helmet if i loosen it all the way but just barely. i also usually wear a thin balaclava under it so the rest of my face/neck is protected

and when it's really nasty I wear an RBHdesigns vapor mask and ski goggles. the combo with the MH hat allows any temp on the bicycle to be comfortable. dont feel a thing.

I've been commuting via motorcycle and even when it was 16F starting a few weeks ago I didnt feel a thing at interstate speeds for 90 minutes.

p nut
12-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Can't remember who recommended this, but try cutting a piece of aluminum foil in the shape of your insole and putting it underneath. Supposed to help.

That said, in 20-35 degrees, I am perfectly fine with regular summer shoes and thicker wool socks. I still might try that tin foil trick, though.

http://intotheorchard.com/2012/11/30/tin-foil-and-spuds/

verticaldoug
12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
With the sensitivity you describe, I think you should schedule a physical with a doctor.

Gfi3
12-08-2014, 02:01 PM
I decided to give dedicated winter cycling boots a try this year and picked up these:

http://www.northwave.com/en/product/_artic_commuter_r

I can't believe it took me this long! My feet sweat if it's above 40F and I had them on yesterday for about 3 hours in the 20's and my feet never got cold. FWIW I wear a good pair of wool winter hiking sock with them.

stephenmarklay
12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Interesting thread. I was planning on getting boots. I road outside about a week ago and it was 15. My feet were cold with normal road shoes two pair of wool socks and PI outer booties. My hands were on and off cold.

My core was OK warm but I could have been a little warmer. I had a lightweight cycling cap and also a water beanie. I had a neck gator that froze too.e

I think I will try a balaclava next time and a bit more outer clothes. I had some IBEX wool bibs with with heavy tights.

marciero
12-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I start with really warm feet, and sometimes run hot tap water on them in the tub for a few minutes right before donning socks and shoes or boots. Embrocation is a nice touch too. I am not sure it makes my feet warmer but sure makes them very comfortable. I also heat up my boots in the oven sometimes.

Just purchased over-sized Wolvammer boots . Very nice, but definitely not low-cost.

JAGI410
12-08-2014, 04:21 PM
I use foot powder, but usually not until below zero. Keeps feet dry. I've also heard of people using black pepper! it irritates the skin just enough to encourage blood flow.

mtechnica
12-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Guys you just need to shell out for real winter boots

JAGI410
12-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Guys you just need to shell out for real winter boots

Or just HTFU. :banana::banana:

KonaSS
12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I have used oversized winter boot for many years, and still had cold feet when temps got much below 30 degrees. I have tried all kinds of different socks, warmers, plastic bags etc. without much luck.

I am trying a new system this year and so far works great. Only issue is that it is so warm it probably has a 35 degree ceiling or so.

First, some nice thick wool socks. I bought a pair of ski socks so they go all they way up the calf (keep the legs warm as someone mentioned)

Then over the wool sock, I am wearing a Neosock http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-6901-Seirus-Neosock%99Tech-Neoprene-Sock-item.htm

Then my winter riding boots. When it gets real cold I add a chemical warmer between the wool sock and the Neosock. I can also add booties over my shoes.

Yes, my feet sweat some, but the thick wool sock pulls the sweat away and my feet stay warm, even if damp. Because the Neosock goes up the calf, I don't think any cold air can get in, even if you are sweaty.

I know you already dismissed neoprene, but I am a fellow cold foot rider and have had unbelieveable success with this setup.

merlinmurph
12-08-2014, 05:13 PM
First, some nice thick wool socks. I bought a pair of ski socks so they go all they way up the calf (keep the legs warm as someone mentioned)

Don't want to be "that guy", but that sounds contradictory to me. The right ski sock is a small, thin poly sock. Some people may wear a very thin wool sock. The key is thin. You'll see novices with big, heavy socks - along with their NY Giants jacket and jeans. :)

Man, feet are tough. When it gets cold (below 40), I like to head into the woods where there's less wind. I wear neoprene booties and still end up getting off the bike and jumping up and down for awhile to warm the toes. Keeping the legs warm is a big help.

Good to see people getting out in the cold.

dekindy
12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Toasty Feet insoles. Also, wearing a ACE knitted ankle support could help. I cannot remember the rational for the ankle support but it seemed to help me.

CNY rider
12-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Since nobody has asked: What type of winter shoe are you wearing?
If it doesn't say "Lake" then that's probably part of the problem.

xjoex
12-08-2014, 06:03 PM
If clipped in, I use 40 Below Overflow Supergaiters on top of Shimano Winter shoes.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-teKcby1wt14/UtHz0gLhC_I/AAAAAAAAPZY/Azffj8HKh-c/s800/P1110406.jpg

I go platforms on my fat bike with insulated boots, like Baffin Shackletons or Vasque Arrowhead UltraDrys.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0h2OfGNHlW8/VHVsIUXUWZI/AAAAAAAATuA/ZoUEI8EtaAQ/s800/PB240004.jpg

-Joe

93legendti
12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Thick wool socks like Defeet blaze, chemical adhesive toe warmers stuck to toe box, nice winter booties, like PI's Barrier Booties and I can use my regular road shoes at temps as low as 20 degrees. I have winter road shoes, prefer my regular road shoes. If I was still cold, I would add another bootie and/or another adhesive chemical warmer.

Stay off the your road bike and ride a cross, mountain, or even better, a fat bike to lessen the extra wind chill that accompanies higher speeds.

If your hands and/or body require 3 layers, for sure your feet do as well.

rustychisel
12-08-2014, 06:16 PM
2 pairs of socks, inner ones thinner, and neoprene booties over the top

quattro
12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
I know when surfers go into cold water in their wet suits and the best way to keep warm is to pee in your wet suit, warms things up quickly. Try this method in your cycling tights until it works it's way down to your feet, let me know how it works!:eek: LOL, sorry couldn't resist.

Your friend quattro who does not ride in weather below 50 degrees.

Nags&Ducs
12-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Or, it means you aren't ready for the plunge yet.:banana: I'm beginning to hate the banana.

madencbm
12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Sounds like you have exactly what I have. Sudden cut off of blood flow to one foot. It is autonomic and would normally occur if you were exposed and shivering with the body cutting off blood flow to keep core temperature from lowering. It happens in us inappropriately when we just get a little chilly. What other people can get by with does not apply to us, PERIOD.

After years of trying everything in Pacific Northwest winters this is what finally seems to work best:

Northwave Arctic winter boots with thermal toe warmers. Regular shoes and booties just simply will not work. If it is below freezing or wet I have to put an outer Showers Pass waterproof cover over boots. Hope this helps.

djg21
12-08-2014, 07:57 PM

A trick from my days fitting ski boots: spray your feet with powdered anti-perspirant like Arid Extra Dry. This will help to keep your feet dry.

I assume your shoes fit in terms of width, aren't over-tight across your instep., and you are wearing a relatively thin wool sock.

Peter P.
12-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Lotsa good suggestions.

Your shoes could be too tight despite buying them oversized.

Your socks may not be keeping your feet dry. I like the suggestion of powdering your feet before hand. I've also heard of cyclists applying anti-perspirant to the soles of their feet.

Skip the cleated shoes and ride platform pedals with a winter boot.

Suggestions to wear extra layers are spot on. Keeping your core warmer will deliver warmer blood to your extremities. An extra jersey under your windshell/jacket and/or an extra pair of tights is a good start. In your case it may be necessary to feel too warm in the torso so your feet will feel fine.

And yes; if your feet are cold, put a hat on. If you're already wearing a balaclava, then put a helmet cover on or put duct tape over the vents.

In the end, you may discover you have hopelessly sucky circulation in your feet. Then ride the trainer.

steelbikerider
12-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I suffer from cold feet and routinely wear Defeet oversocks when temps go below 65, add thin wool socks below 55 and use Specialized neoprene booties below 45. Below 40 I use Defeet Woolie Boolies socks and add the oversocks below 30.
I am just as picky with gloves and head coverings. Just as important is for the core to be warm with easily removable layers and a wind vest for warm-up.

commonguy001
12-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Not even close, feet sweat, cold from cleats freezes feet from the bottom up.....

The insoles that 45Nrth sells are awesome. My wolvehammers are the first boots I've never felt the cold from the cleats.

berserk87
12-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Hand and foot warmth are such an individual thing. It's tough to take up what works for one person and make it work for others.

I ride with some folks that are hard as hard gets when it comes to cold weather - embrocation only on the legs in sub-freezing temps, fingerless gloves in the 30's and such. That won't cut it for most folks, self included.

Layering socks helps with me, and wearing decent booties. I can't go too crazy with layering because then my shoes are too tight.

Are you sure your shoe/sock combo is not too tight? If so, your feet might be feeling numbness that you might mistake for coldness.

Some folks have very poor circulation and can't do cold. I ride with plenty of those people too - but only in warm weather.

gmcampy
12-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Since nobody has asked: What type of winter shoe are you wearing?
If it doesn't say "Lake" then that's probably part of the problem.

Shimano.

gmcampy
12-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Temps last night 30, light mist/rain

Wore THIN sock with a prewarmed chem heat, palced walmart bags over socks and Shimano shoes. Both feet were toasty for the 2 hour ride. Boots had ice covering at end of ride as well as jersey, bike etc, LOL.

If it was any colder I would add a second outer layer of Neoprene and possible chem warmer between boot and shoe cover.

As a side note, the Sealskinz gloves I used were AWESOME it the cold wet night. Waterproof for sure! Fingerws sweated but NEVER got cold. These gloves ROCK below 35 degrees but are too warm above that.

Thanks for all the recommendations, Im still experemanting :)

teleguy57
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
As a side note, the Sealskinz gloves I used were AWESOME it the cold wet night. Waterproof for sure! Fingerws sweated but NEVER got cold. These gloves ROCK below 35 degrees but are too warm above that.

Which model glove? They have a boatload of them:)

Mr. Pink
12-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Seconded for adjusting the shoes if they are too tight. This is always a problem with ski boots. Too tight = no circulation = too cold.

I have issues with the toes, of course, especially after a fast, sustained downhill. Learned a great trick from a NYC messenger. It will cost you a little, though. Get a bunch of those chemical hand warmers (not the toe warmers) and open a pair up fifteen to 30 minutes before a ride. Use them along with neoprene booties by peeling the toe area back when the booties are on, wrap the hot hand warmer around the toe area, and fold back the bootie, which will then hold the warmer in place. Both warms the toes and acts as an additional insulation from wind. Unfortunately, since you are then starving the warmer from fresh air that fuels that heating process, the warmer will die off in a few hours, so, if you're out for a long ride, bring two pair of warmers. Or take a break and let the warmer heat up again out in the open.

eippo1
12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you have exactly what I have. Sudden cut off of blood flow to one foot. It is autonomic and would normally occur if you were exposed and shivering with the body cutting off blood flow to keep core temperature from lowering. It happens in us inappropriately when we just get a little chilly. What other people can get by with does not apply to us, PERIOD.

You should look into Raynauds' Phenomenon. I have it and it sucks. Have to very careful as being cold quickly turns to frostbite without proper protection.

I have found that the most important thing is to stay dry so that everything must must must breathe or else, the wetness gets cold and instantly triggers a capillary reaction. Then it's a choice to get off the bike and get warm (with socks off and good luck finding a coffee shop for that) or getting home quickly.

Hence, neoprene is great for short toodles with regular thin wool socks, but anything longer and higher intensity requires a more breathable bootie. I found the Prendas Air Tunnel booties are the best because they breathe:
http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-overshoes.html

Then wool socks are also requirement. Anything with acrylic, cotton or blends just make my feet sweat and then goodbye capillaries! The other fun thing is that once it trigger in my feet, my other extremities follow suite - hands, nose, ears, wanker...:mad:

slidey
12-09-2014, 12:01 PM
If its an affordable solution you want you'd be hard-pressed to beat newspaper/polythene bags.

A more elegant solution would be SealSkinz socks (http://www.sealskinz.com/US/socks?gender=men%27s&activity=road%20cycle&season=winter). Have them, and they're really warm...too warm for me to ever wear them in drought weather.

Likes2ridefar
12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Temps last night 30, light mist/rain

Wore THIN sock with a prewarmed chem heat, palced walmart bags over socks and Shimano shoes. Both feet were toasty for the 2 hour ride. Boots had ice covering at end of ride as well as jersey, bike etc, LOL.

If it was any colder I would add a second outer layer of Neoprene and possible chem warmer between boot and shoe cover.

Thanks for all the recommendations, Im still experemanting :)

fwiw, the rbh socks i mentioned earlier work on the same principle as the sealskinz. no evaporating heat loss. but they have an insulating fleece layer on the outside so work better. and are much more comfortable.

i have a similar glove called glacier glove which is basically thick neoprene with a thin fleece lining. it's quite warm if producing heat but gets really wet inside usually, and is tough to dry. they eventually smell terrible. and if you get them too wet inside and then run into a temperature you can't combat your hands get brutally cold. think a long 6 hour ride in the winter and then the sun sets near the end and temp plunges. Been there a few times, hopefully never again.

adding an insulating layer over them, while bulky, makes them incredibly warm for all but the worst conditions.

Likes2ridefar
12-09-2014, 12:07 PM
You should look into Raynauds' Phenomenon. I have it and it sucks. Have to very careful as being cold quickly turns to frostbite without proper protection.

I have found that the most important thing is to stay dry so that everything must must must breathe or else, the wetness gets cold and instantly triggers a capillary reaction. Then it's a choice to get off the bike and get warm (with socks off and good luck finding a coffee shop for that) or getting home quickly.

Hence, neoprene is great for short toodles with regular thin wool socks, but anything longer and higher intensity requires a more breathable bootie. I found the Prendas Air Tunnel booties are the best because they breathe:
http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-overshoes.html

Then wool socks are also requirement. Anything with acrylic, cotton or blends just make my feet sweat and then goodbye capillaries! The other fun thing is that once it trigger in my feet, my other extremities follow suite - hands, nose, ears, wanker...:mad:

to clarify, neoprene is totally fine for longer outings but whether you can sustain it is the problem. to keep them warm, if no insulating layer over them, you have to rely on your own body heat to keep them warm inside. on a typical bike ride one can not ride at threshold or tempo the entire time on 3+ hour type rides so eventually this leads to cooling and to overcome the cold sweat inside the glove/sock plus the cold temperature battering the outer neoprene layer is too much for the hands/feet so you get painfully cold.

you may surprise yourself, if stuck in this situation, that if you HAMMER as hard as you can you will warm them again. getting off the bike and firing off some pushups really helps the cause. but it didnt always work for me.

Bob Ross
12-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Performance used to sell fleece-lined neoprene socks.

Not booties; socks.

On the coldest of cold days when I'm determined to ride, I put on:
- thin wool sockliners
- the above-mentioned fleece-lined neoprene socks
- winter cycling boots
- booties

It can be in the mid-teens (Fahrenheit) and my feet will still feel like they're in a sauna after a couple of hours.

I just did a quick search of Performance site & it appears they no longer offer these socks, but somebody else must. [edit: Just saw KonaSS' recommendation of NeoSocks. Presumably similar.]

gmcampy
12-09-2014, 01:45 PM
If its an affordable solution you want you'd be hard-pressed to beat newspaper/polythene bags.

A more elegant solution would be SealSkinz socks (http://www.sealskinz.com/US/socks?gender=men%27s&activity=road%20cycle&season=winter). Have them, and they're really warm...too warm for me to ever wear them in drought weather.

So do I but when worn with theses shoes they were too bulky! I also have their over shoe that I will use on next really cold ride

gmcampy
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
fwiw, the rbh socks i mentioned earlier work on the same principle as the sealskinz. no evaporating heat loss. but they have an insulating fleece layer on the outside so work better. and are much more comfortable.

i have a similar glove called glacier glove which is basically thick neoprene with a thin fleece lining. it's quite warm if producing heat but gets really wet inside usually, and is tough to dry. they eventually smell terrible. and if you get them too wet inside and then run into a temperature you can't combat your hands get brutally cold. think a long 6 hour ride in the winter and then the sun sets near the end and temp plunges. Been there a few times, hopefully never again.

adding an insulating layer over them, while bulky, makes them incredibly warm for all but the worst conditions.

Before I got winter shoes I used to put a wool sock on OVER my shoe before the neoprene covers. Worked OK in the 30's but the colder days require better package. Still working on "just" the right solution for a given temp range.

The sealskinz gloves are NOT neoprene but still VERY waterproof. They are a cycling specific design with proper padding and "nose wipe" LOL