PDA

View Full Version : Basic Triple FD

nissim
12-08-2014, 01:35 AM
The current FD on my commuter/everything build is worn to the point of needing replacement. Parameters are 31.8mm clamp-on/bottom-pull/triple. I'm not looking for anything fancy. What I primarily see on the ebay are Deore XT and 105 (both are fine by me and prices are similar).

I'm using the original SunTour Accushift barcons with a 48/38/28 set up and have no problems there. But I'm wondering which (Deore or 105) would be preferred. Am I correct in assuming that Deore XT would have been designed for smaller front rings as it's a mtb line, and the 105 would be more appropriate for a road triple set up?

oldpotatoe
12-08-2014, 05:44 AM
The current FD on my commuter/everything build is worn to the point of needing replacement. Parameters are 31.8mm clamp-on/bottom-pull/triple. I'm not looking for anything fancy. What I primarily see on the ebay are Deore XT and 105 (both are fine by me and prices are similar).

I'm using the original SunTour Accushift barcons with a 48/38/28 set up and have no problems there. But I'm wondering which (Deore or 105) would be preferred. Am I correct in assuming that Deore XT would have been designed for smaller front rings as it's a mtb line, and the 105 would be more appropriate for a road triple set up?

Yes...good choice. Particularly since last gen 105 triple crank was 50/39/30.

oliver1850
12-08-2014, 06:00 PM
An older XT or LX (M550/M735 or previous) would be fine with 28/38/48. There are lots of SunTours that will work well too. It's relatively easy to avoid the Microdrive ones once you know what to look for. I probably have something here in a ST 32 or recent 105 if you're interested. Also have 4503 but only braze I think - you'd have to use a clamp adapter.

thirdgenbird
12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
I've got a nearly new LX that I would give away for a little more than shipping cost.

Pretty sure it is 35mm, but Shimano makes shims for that. It was on a 42/32/22 setup so it may not be ideal, but you can sure give it a go.

weightshift
12-09-2014, 01:27 PM
When I built up my wife and I's camping/rando rigs, we went with Rivendell for some parts (they're semi-local to us) and at the time, Keven and Grant recommended the Campy Chorus triple front derailleurs they had in stock at the time. Currently, I think they've replaced that with the IRD Alpina-D as seen here:
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/d11.htm

They suggest that one for 50T and below which should work nicely with your set-up.

josephr
12-09-2014, 02:25 PM
only Shimano FD I'd have a hard time recommending is the current and previous generation Tiagras. Both myself and a riding buddy have had had broken springs resulting in small chainring days. I think I read somewhere that this is not an unusual experience. I think even the Sora FD is supposed to be better equipment -- had 700 rough miles on one, no problem.

FDs are pretty interchangeable - I'd take up oliver1850 or thirdgenbird or post a WTB here. eBay is usually my last look.
Joe

mudhead
12-11-2014, 05:32 AM
I have an IRD Alpina-D Braze-on, PM if interested.