PDA

View Full Version : OT - Waaay OT - anyone know about turbochargers?

Neil
12-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Continuing my series of "why did he post that here?" appearances in General, my turbo is going to join the Norwegian Blue shortly.

It's a Mitsu 19T on a Volvo I5, 2.3 litre petrol engine.

I'll probably replace the intercooler and all charge-side pipework at the same time.

Now - do I replace like with like, and get another 19T, or do I hold out for the new IPD hybrid, or do I go for a 2871R from Garrett?

Ken Robb
12-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Since proper performance/tuning of engine management systems is critical to engine performance and longevity I would be reluctant to swap for a different turbo. There may be a chance that a custom management system could be designed to work with alternate turbos the result might be risky/disappointing and it would surely be expensive. Then where I live passing smog can be a problem for modified cars.

Neil
12-07-2014, 04:28 PM
The car passes emissions testing - it has a race-cat in the exhaust.

In terms of engine management, it was mapped for the existing modifications - it didn't come with the 19T, it came with a significantly smaller turbine.

The block was taken apart, the liners shimmed, Volvo rods removed and replaced with H-beam units, the head was extensively ported and the valves back-cut, and the throttle body and MAF were both replaced with larger versions at the same time as the turbo was upgraded (to the now almost-kaput unit).

When healthy it was around 340 bhp - these came (new, from the factory) with ~250.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Continuing my series of "why did he post that here?" appearances in General, my turbo is going to join the Norwegian Blue shortly.

I'll probably replace the intercooler and all charge-side pipework at the same time.

Now - do I replace like with like, and get another 19T, or do I hold out for the new IPD hybrid, or do I go for a 2871R from Garrett?

Om-fing-g if that is not Greek, (to me) I dunno what is. I'll put my dress and heels on, now.

dustyrider
12-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm a NA guy, but I'll give you the same advice I'd give anyone else not spending my money. DO IT(the 2871r Garrett is reliable)!When done, grab a pic with a bike and share.

Bruce K
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
From my son, the Volvo tuning guy:

IPD for sure
But you will need a tune to maximize performance

You might try swedespeed forum for more info

BK

SkyRider
12-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Bruce's son here.

First off what Volvo are we talking about(just curious)?

Second while the Garrett is a dead reliable unit and very time tested if you want the most out of you car without significant additional mods (read spend a ton on coil packs, injectors, etc.) go hybrid. If you're in it for the long-haul, ready to do the work, go for the Garrett. Both are good choices. At the point you're at, it's all about your vision for the car. you'll never get past 400 horse on the hybrid but you might with the Garrett.

My Volvo credentials are attached below ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpediemracing
12-07-2014, 06:19 PM
The car passes emissions testing - it has a race-cat in the exhaust.

In terms of engine management, it was mapped for the existing modifications - it didn't come with the 19T, it came with a significantly smaller turbine.

The block was taken apart, the liners shimmed, Volvo rods removed and replaced with H-beam units, the head was extensively ported and the valves back-cut, and the throttle body and MAF were both replaced with larger versions at the same time as the turbo was upgraded (to the now almost-kaput unit).

When healthy it was around 340 bhp - these came (new, from the factory) with ~250.

And you're asking us for help on turbo selection?

Heh.

Okay at least I understand what you said but I don't know turbos/etc beyond a few articles' worth of stuff so I won't be of any help.

AngryScientist
12-07-2014, 06:32 PM
is this a daily driver, or a recreational typed car?

if you can afford the downtime, the best option may be sending the kaput turbo out for rebuild. then the engine management system can stay intact and its just plug and play when the unit returns.

certainly modern cars are all about engine management tuning. not like the old days when you could just shove more fuel down the throat of the engine and give it enough air to combust and be be good to go. bigger, better hardware parts dont matter without the integrated software approach. i'm sure you know all of that already, and to me it comes down to - is this a car you need to get to work every day and back, or a toy that you can play with on the weekends?

if its "A", put it back together the way it came apart, if it's "B", but the biggest, baddest honking turbo you can find on it, spend the time to tune correctly and make sure you can fuel right, and go have fun!

buldogge
12-07-2014, 06:35 PM
What RPM range do you want to operate within?
What kind of power delivery do you want??
What is your current max rpm and is it gearing, fueling, or ignition limited?

-Mark in St. Louis

rodcad
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Om-fing-g if that is not Greek, (to me) I dunno what is. I'll put my dress and heels on, now.

Don't know about anyone else here, but I'd appreciate toning down references to God myself. Just not necessary.

buldogge
12-07-2014, 07:28 PM
:help:

Don't know about anyone else here, but I'd appreciate toning down references to God myself. Just not necessary.

Ti Designs
12-08-2014, 08:03 AM
certainly modern cars are all about engine management tuning. not like the old days when you could just shove more fuel down the throat of the engine and give it enough air to combust and be be good to go. bigger, better hardware parts dont matter without the integrated software approach.

Less than you would think when it comes to boost, you're going to be into enrichment, air:fuel is going to drop into the 12's. I played a lot with larger injectors and remapping the fuel curve, in the end a rising rate fuel pressure regulator did the job far better.

As for the OP's question, if you're going to change turbos, you either need to spend some time looking at input/output curves, and looking upstream and downstream from the turbo, on both hot and cold sides. You'll also want feedback. In tuning I ran EGT on all four cylinders, now I just run air/fuel off the O2 sensor while driving. In many cases a turbo swap (or turbo install on a non-turbo motor) will have side effects you you can't imagine. The oil line to the turbo and the return line are critical. Turbos have different requirements, and oil really can foam - the only AN-12 line under my hood is the oil return.

I've worked on a few race motors. My daily driver is a Honda CRX turbo+NOS with an air-water intercooler and cold can. As my ECU doesn't get me out of vacuum, management is done via MSD ignition modules, rising rate fuel pressure regulators and a rather over the top NOS system.

Neil
12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
1996 850R - the factory manual with the M59 box and the viscous LSD:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7534/15792097909_5fc0531959_b.jpg

I think I'll hold out for the IPD hybrid, my injectors have enough overhead to match the increased flow over the 19T, and the biggest bonus is that the IPD unit is a) a ball bearing turbo and b) bolt on (although I'm going to replace all the charge side pipework and the intake side pipework, so that's kind of a wash).

Currently the engine spins to 7k, but it's running out of puff up there, when healthy the 19T pushed around 1.4 bar in the upper half of the rev band.

firerescuefin
12-08-2014, 02:35 PM
1996 850R - the factory manual with the M59 box and the viscous LSD:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7534/15792097909_5fc0531959_b.jpg

I think I'll hold out for the IPD hybrid, my injectors have enough overhead to match the increased flow over the 19T, and the biggest bonus is that the IPD unit is a) a ball bearing turbo and b) bolt on (although I'm going to replace all the charge side pipework and the intake side pipework, so that's kind of a wash).

Currently the engine spins to 7k, but it's running out of puff up there, when healthy the 19T pushed around 1.4 bar in the upper half of the rev band.

I remember when TWR ran these in the BTCC. Love those wagons. Very cool!

jimoots
12-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Cool car.

I'm a Soobie guy (although find myself regularly tempted by Volvos of the 242GT kind) so can't offer much in terms of upgrade path.

The only advice I'd have is to firstly not listen to people who say to stick with stock, you can build a plenty reliable modified car.

Secondly, Volvo forums would be your friend for this kind of 'specific' upgrade-path advice.

aramis
12-09-2014, 06:48 PM
I've worked on a few race motors. My daily driver is a Honda CRX turbo+NOS with an air-water intercooler and cold can. As my ECU doesn't get me out of vacuum, management is done via MSD ignition modules, rising rate fuel pressure regulators and a rather over the top NOS system.

That's the most 1999 paragraph I've read in a while, complete with the use of the word NOS.

dustyrider
12-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Looks like quite the opposite: your post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=155635).

To the OP,

Sweet ride! Love the sport estate look Volvo created. Have fun with the build.

Ken Robb
12-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Looks like quite the opposite: your post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=155635).

Oh, Jaweh! That is pretty funny. :banana:

jlwdm
12-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Get rid of that wagon and get a Volvo wagon like Paul Newman had and Dave Letterman has.

Jeff

soulspinner
12-10-2014, 07:14 AM
As was mentioned before, Sweedspeed forum.

Ti Designs
12-10-2014, 07:18 AM
That's the most 1999 paragraph I've read in a while, complete with the use of the word NOS.

It's a 1991 car, so that would be forward thinking.

It's also a D16 motor producing 270 HP in a car that's less than 2000 pounds.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2014, 07:27 AM

"g"arrett??

fuzzalow
12-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Sorry if this appears like I'm piling on, but IMO this is one of those goofy requests from the hyper-sensitive that misplaces self-preoccupation as piety. It is not a lot of fun to hang out in a place presided over by SNL Church Lady. C'mon, you really think this kinda saintly brow beating is saving the heathen and bringing you closer to god/Yaweh? Then don't talk trivia, just do the work for real, quietly and without fanfare.

I will admit I am reacting to this as less from ecumenical affront as from dislike of shallow preachiness.